Freedos issue

Hello, I have a problem with the computer that my brother lent me. When I turn it on, it takes me to this screen

Do you have any idea what the problem is?
Knowing that it was working without any issues before. Thank you.

4 answers

  1. Moderator
    Hi

    Ask your brother if he didn't reset it before passing it to you.

    --
    Light a fire for someone and they will be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life. -Terry Pratchett-
    0
    1. No, he confirmed to me that he did not "consciously" reset it anyway. Since he doesn't understand anything, he could very well have made an error in manipulation...
      0
  2. Contributor
    Hello
    I'm surprised that this PC had Windows on it
    because the "Freedos" system is provided on PCs sold without Windows
    for me, this PC has never had Windows on it
    to read:
    https://forums.commentcamarche.net/forum/affich-31874044-qu-es-ce-que-le-systeme-d-exploitation-freedos#answers
    If my answer helped you, click the Thanks button.
    Mark as resolved if your issue is fixed.
    0
    1. No, he didn't have it originally. My brother installed it using the CD. And I don't understand why it's no longer there.
      0
    2. Contributor
      @Bastmanywell Windows has been uninstalled
      it needs to be reinstalled
      0
    3. Moderator
      @jfmimiatta atta, let's check that Windows isn't lurking around somewhere.
      0
    4. Good evening,

      Even though it has become ancient since we now use USB drives, there is nothing that formally prohibits FreeDos and Windows from coexisting; historically, FreeDos or DR-Dos were provided because, unlike MsDos, there was no license to pay.

      Since (except for added drivers and still in real 16-bit Dos mode) there was no question of using USB (which, by the way, I am not sure existed at the time), FreeDos was the Swiss army knife that allowed for creating and activating partitions, then installing Windows via the command line from a CD.

      I remember, a little less ancient, installing Windows 2000 via the command line on a PC where emulated Dos mode (like MsDos for Windows 98) was sufficient, and also on an EeePC instead of Xandros, where it was in real mode, as the device had no less than 4 partitions that needed to be formatted, merged, and activated.

      In any case, and if FreeDos is still loaded on some new machines, it is not only to reassure the user who would immediately remove it by booting from a USB drive, but because it will allow for custom installations and/or check the functioning of the machine before its shipment.

      As far as we are concerned, if we have a Windows CD that corresponds to the hardware, let's take advantage of it: If the machine does not boot directly from the CD at startup, it will simply be necessary under FreeDos to identify the letter assigned to the CD drive, do a DIR to see where the install.exe, setup.exe, or equivalent file is located and then launch it.
      0
  3. Moderator
    Launch the first choice and once you reach
    c:/
    type DIR

    And send us back what it displays.

    --
    Light a fire for someone and they will be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life. -Terry Pratchett-
    0

    1. This is what it's displaying to me.
      0
    2. Moderator
      @BastmanyThere was indeed a Windows here back in the day. As for what happened to it???

      On the other hand, I'm going to rack my brains to see if there's a way to bring it back without formatting everything. Because right now, I can't see it.
      0
    3. Contributor
      Well done Pierrecastor!!
      +2
      0
    4. @PierrecastorA cool thank you, I eagerly await your solutions.
      0
  4. Moderator
    Try to create a startup support with the version of Windows that was there before:

    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-installation-media-for-windows-99a58364-8c02-206f-aa6f-40c3b507420d

    --
    Light a fire for someone and they will be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life. -Terry Pratchett-
    0
    1. How do we do it? I don't know anything about it, so a little guidance would be welcome.
      0
    2. Moderator
      @BastmanyRead the link I posted; that's exactly the trick. Feel free to ask the question again if you don't understand something.
      0
    3. @PierrecastorDo I need to download the link "Windows 10" to absolutely create the bootable support?
      Can the Windows CD I have do it?
      0