Firefox is not working: couldn't load XPCOM

Solved
Hello,
While visiting my father, he asked me to help him with his old PC running XP.
He couldn't update Flash Player to listen to music on Deezer.
After a few manipulations on my part, Firefox won't open anymore, and I get the following error message: couldn't load XPCOM.
Here’s what I’ve already tried after consulting numerous forums:
- antivirus and anti-malware scans, nothing to report
- launching Firefox in safe mode, same error message
- System Restore to several different dates, same problem
- trying to uninstall Firefox from the control panel, the uninstallation doesn’t start
- trying to uninstall from the helper file in the program files, the uninstallation doesn’t start
- trying to reinstall Firefox from an exe, the exe doesn’t launch
- complete uninstallation of Java and Flash Player, no better
I think that’s about it.
Can you please help me?
Thanks in advance.

1 answer

  1. Moderator
    Hello,

    Do the last step: Reinstall Firefox as explained in the second paragraph of this page: Reset/Reinstall Firefox

    --
    Like the angel you are, you laugh creating a lightness in my chest,
    Your eyes they penetrate me,
    (Your answer's always 'maybe')
    That's when I got up and left
    1
    1. Thank you Malekal for your help, but it's not working.
      If I double-click on the Firefox icon while holding down the Shift key, I still get the error message Couldn't load XPCOM.
      And I can't uninstall Firefox from the control panel/add or remove programs... nothing happens.
      0
    2. Moderator
      @frankiki35Delete all Mozilla and Firefox folders by conducting a file search.
      and try to reinstall it.
      0
    3. My father has finally resigned himself to replacing his over 12-year-old PC.
      This resolves the issue with Firefox.
      Thank you Malekal for your help.
      0