I/O error

Hello,
I can no longer read the files (text, PowerPoint) that I receive with Open Office. Every time, there is a "general I/O error". The files on my computer work. I looked at some things on forums, but nothing that could solve my problem. I uninstalled Open Office, reinstalled the latest version, and it's still the same, I don't understand.
What should I do?
Thank you very much
M.C

8 answers

  1. Hello,
    thank you for the tip, I already did it and it didn't change anything. Any other ideas???
    Thanks in advance
    MC
    0
    1. Hello
      these are .pps or .doc files created with Microsoft Office and that I can read with Open Office. They are not necessarily saved, they are read via my email or on the desktop if saved. I haven't seen any disk errors. I will try to use Revo, we'll see.
      thank you
      MC
      0
      1. I used Revo, but it doesn't change anything. On the other hand, I can read a problematic Word file via cjoint.com but not directly when it's attached to an email? Any ideas?
        Thank you
        MC
        0
        1. Contributor
          Isn't it rather an email issue?
          Which messaging tool?
          0
          1. Hello
            I don't know if this is it, but I use IncrediMail (through Orange). The people who send me the files that I can't read have Orange mailboxes, and one of them uses Thunderbird.
            0
            1. Contributor
              Not directly when it's attached in an email?
              Save the attachment and open it, does that work?
              0
            2. Hello,
              I can't read them directly in the messaging system nor save and open them later, it's not working. I really don't see where the problem is coming from.
              0
            3. Contributor
              incredimail ?
              0
            4. I have never had a problem with IncrediMail, and this does not concern all files; some work. But has there been an update or something in this messaging service that has changed and caused these issues???
              0
            5. Contributor
              Try disabling the antivirus?
              0
          2. It seems to me that the problem is not with your computer, but with the file that was sent to you by the sender.
            0
            1. I think that's the case, but I don't understand why some documents (like Word documents, for example) created and sent by the same person from the same computer open, and others do not.
              0
            2. Unfortunately, I don't understand either. Can you ask to send the files in a different format?
              0
            3. Hello
              maybe the documents are created with Word and sent via Outlook, which generates a file with the winmail.dat extension
              see here
              0
            4. Hello, the files are sent with Thunderbird or Windows Live Mail and not by Outlook. But I will check the link you provided, it might be a similar problem.
              0