Operation cancelled restriction in effect (link)

Solved/Closed
Hello
On an Excel file, when I click on a cell with a hyperlink, I get a message saying, "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer, please contact your system administrator."
I am the only user and thus the administrator.

What should I do?
Thank you
Configuration: Windows XP home SP2

20 answers

  1. Here is the solution
    1) Close Outlook
    2) Go to the site: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm
    3) Choose HTM fix
    4) Download the zip file
    5) Unzip the file
    6) Click on html_association_fix (it will open with the registry editor)

    And that's it! (At least with Explorer 7.0)
    470
    1. UP
      0
    2. THANK YOU Sphynxx !!!!

      This solution works very well. The hyperlinks are working again.

      Just to clarify for the downloadable file, the exact name is: HTM/HTML Associations (Restore the default associations for htm/html files)

      Problem solved.
      1
    3. Hi,

      In my case, it's the Sphynxx solution (http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm => HTM/HTML Associations (Restore the default associations for htm/html files)) that solved my problem...
      See you!
      0
    4. @KOneSame for me, I am on XP with SP2 and the problem occurred with Word 2003.
      The various solutions suggesting modifications to IE settings didn't work.
      Thanks to Sphynxx for his solution.
      0
    5. @ : Sphynxx, on Friday, August 22, 2008 at 8:46:43 PM
      Thank you very much Sphynxx, it had been a week that it was bothering me, your solution works perfectly, thanks again
      Regards
      P.S. I’m on VISTA
      0