Inkscape: special characters not working

Hello,

I'm having a small problem with the Inkscape software: when I type text and want to enter accented characters (such as é, è, À, ç...), it's not working.

When I try to use the letters corresponding to the top row of the keyboard with the numbers 1 to 0, including the characters é, ", è, etc., it inputs the numbers related to the letter instead of the character, whether I'm in uppercase or not.

I would like to know if there is a solution because right now I'm managing with the character map and copying and pasting, but it's not the most practical. The solution might be very simple and obvious, but I haven't found it, and I've searched a bit on the Internet and didn't find anything except using Unicode characters, but that's not the most practical either.

Thank you in advance, and have a nice day!

10 answers

  1. Does it work with all font types?
    Do you use TrueType or OpenType fonts?
    0
    1. I haven't tested absolutely all of them because there are many, but I've still tested a lot of fonts and it never works.
      And I have a mix of both.
      0
      1. It is possible that you are using fonts that do not have accented letters... this is common with fonts downloaded from English-speaking sites...
        Also, check that you have the latest version of Inkscape... Font management can change with OS updates..
        0
        1. There are indeed accented characters, I use them in other software like Word and it works fine, it's only with Inkscape that I have this problem.
          And I have the latest version, I updated it recently.
          0
          1. I can't see... Or maybe you have a keyboard issue.. Try another keyboard..
            In Word, there's an autocorrect feature that corrects your mistakes...
            0
        2. No, the problem does not come from the keyboard, and it's not an issue with automatic correction in Word since the characters work everywhere; it's just that they don't work with Inkscape.
          0
          1. Are you on Windows? Which version?
            0
        3. Yes, it opens well, the special characters display immediately without any problem
          There is no issue with displaying special characters, the problem occurs during input, but I don't know why
          In any case, thank you for the time you have given.
          0
          1. Try uninstalling Inkscape, cleaning the registry, and reinstalling the latest version.
            If it still doesn't work very well, you'll need to look towards Windows...
            0
        4. I just did all that and it's still the same, I'm going to keep looking for where the problem comes from.
          0
          1. Do you use a "full" French keyboard?... (not a bi-language one) or are you on a laptop?
            There are posts about this issue on English forums... they report a problem with font encoding in Windows....
            0
        5. I was just thinking that the problem might have come from the fact that I had set up two keyboard layouts in the Windows settings to quickly switch between AZERTY and QWERTY, and I just removed the QWERTY layout and now it works!
          Thank you for your help!
          0
          1. To add an accent, do not use the numeric keypad, only the regular keyboard, switch to uppercase and press Ctrl U and enter the corresponding code for the letter.

            Example É in uppercase: Ctrl U 00CA and enter.

            0