SSD recognized by BIOS but does not boot

Solved
Hello,

I retrieved an SSD that works on a Toshiba Satellite L50 (but screen and keyboard are defective) to install it on another Toshiba Satellite C660-2U9 (which was functioning before with a different SSD). The SSD (Samsung 850 EVO) is recognized by the BIOS but does not boot. In the BIOS, DEP (EBD) Technology: [Enabled]. Virtualization technology: [VT-x only]. SATA controller mode: [AHCI]. I tried changing these settings in the BIOS, but nothing works. The SSD has a system EFI partition and Windows 10 is in the main partition in NTFS.

Can you help? :)

3 answers

  1. It's Windows 10, in principle, it should work. But it could be that your BIOS is in UEFI mode and the SSD with an MBR partition table.

    1
    1. Hi,

      I think it’s normal. You have 2 PCs: PC A and PC B. And 2 SSDs: SSD A and SSD B.

      SSD A was in PC A and SSD B in PC B. You put SSD A in place of SSD B, it won’t boot because it’s not the same Windows 10 license.
      0
      1. Hello,
        I have already swapped HDDs between 2 computers, with no Windows license issues (though driver problems yes)
        I think more along the lines of what Jumulka suggested below that the problem comes from the type of partition that the BIOS does not recognize.
        Thank you nonetheless for the help
        0
    2. Hello,
      if your SSD has an EFI partition, it means your disk is GPT. If your BIOS is configured in legacy/CSM, you will not be able to boot; you need to configure boot in UEFI. If you don't have the UEFI option in your BIOS, you will need to convert the SSD to MBR (preferably by formatting) and reinstall Windows.
      0
      1. Hello,
        I do think the problem comes from my partitions on the SSD. And since the BIOS does not allow me to opt for UEFI, and I don’t want to format my SSD (too many software with unique licenses to reinstall).
        So it’s a miss, I’ll rather repair the screen and keyboard on the original Toshiba...
        Thanks for your help
        0