I would like to achieve this effect in InDesign on the typography, so that the background image stands out on the font; I haven't found any tutorials that correspond exactly to this effect.
In InDesign, you first draw a white image frame. Then a frame for your text (black text or another color). Dropdown menu ---->Text----->Convert to Outlines. Then you select the text frame + the white frame. Dropdown menu----->Object---->Pathfinder---->Subtract.
For the second one, it's Bliss. For the first illustration, I would say a Garamond (or Trajan) + Bliss (or something similar).
mashiga5
Thank you for your reply :)
anjy
Hello, I followed the steps as indicated above:
Text----->Vectorize. Then you select the text block + the white block. Dropdown menu----->Object---->Pathfinder---->Subtract.
However, it's the entire text frame that becomes transparent and shows the background.
Does anyone have a solution, please? It really matters to me to do this :)
Thank you and have a good evening.
anjy
Oh, I finally managed to do it after many attempts..
You have to select the entire text block (and not just the text) that you want to vectorize with the white cursor.
Then, select the text (and not the block) by double-clicking on it, and do this with the black cursor.
And there it should work normally :)
anjy
However, I now have another problem: I would like to do the same thing with an image. But when I go to Object > Pathfinder > Subtract, it's the entire frame of my image that becomes transparent (and not just the drawing itself). Does anyone have a solution please? :)
contrariness
If the text is an image, it won't work... a vector trace is needed for that.
anjy
No, I'm talking about an image, plain and simple. A drawing or a shape for example...
contrariness
A vector trace is required for it to work.. If there's no trace, there's no specific breakthrough..
contrariness
In Illustrator, create a white rectangle, place your text on it, and extrude it. save it as an Ai file and import it into your image in InDesign.
Or do everything in Illustrator..
There are surely other methods....
anjya
Contrariness, unfortunately I don't know what a vector trace is... but in the meantime, I managed to achieve what I wanted to do!
In case someone is ever interested (you never know):
Step 1: choose the image that will be used to reveal the background.
Step 2: using Photoshop or similar software, invert the transparency. The background color should match the color of the white block (in InDesign).
Step 3: import your image into InDesign, then create a rectangle the same size as your image.
Step 4: take the rectangle you just created and place it over the white block. Select both rectangles and then go to Object > Pathfinder > Minus Front, as mentioned above, which will reveal your background.
Step 5: Take your image and place it on the background.
And there you go, it's done! Sometimes you just need to think a bit outside the box, and that's enough ;)
Enolalila
Hello,
However, it is the entire text frame that becomes transparent and reveals the background.