Rotary phone

Hello,
I found an old rotary phone... so when I connect it to my box, it rings fine but I can't make any calls, which is okay. However, when I plug it directly into a phone socket without anything else, there’s a dial tone. When I dial a number and reach the 8th digit, a message from France Telecom tells me that my subscription doesn’t allow me to make calls from this line?
What I actually want is just for my old phone to ring when someone calls me; I don’t necessarily want to make calls with it.
My box is in a bedroom (it's more practical for all the wires), and I would like to put my rotary phone in the living room.
If someone could let me know if this is feasible or not... thank you for your help.

1 answer

  1. Moderator
    Hello,
    Your rotary phone is a pulse telephone; modern phones are tone phones, so it cannot function as is to make a call.
    There exist(ed) converters (pulses to tone) like the Rotatone https://www.rotatone.co.uk/
    that allow for the transformation.
    Example https://www.oldphoneworks.com/files/oldphoneguy/rotatone/U43rotatone.pdf

    "a France Telecom message tells me that my subscription does not allow me to call with this line?"
    If your phone subscription is an ADSL (Internet) subscription, no phone will work if connected to the incoming telephone line where the box is connected. The phone must necessarily be connected to the box.

    --
     Very difficult to catch a black cat in a dark room.
                                  Especially when it's not there...
    0
    1. Thank you very much for your reply. But is there something to do just to ring and not to call?
      0
    2. So if I connect the dial phone to a socket and ADSL filter in my living room, it will ring to signal a call and my phone directly connected to the box will ring too?
      -1
    3. Moderator
      @hellocmoi
       it will only ring if connected to the box. 
      0
    4. @hellocmoiHi,
      No, it won't work on the ADSL line, unless you are on partial unbundling (Orange fixed line bill).
      You need to tinker with the wiring of your sockets and create an adapter behind your box to extend its line.
      0
    5. Thank you very much for your responses.
      0