Steam Update Issue

Solved
Hello,
I've been experiencing an issue for some time now. Whenever I start my computer, Steam automatically updates and when it reaches 99%, my antivirus detects it as malicious. So, I decide to update Steam by disabling my antivirus.

However, the problem recurs. My antivirus blocks game launches. When I try to launch a game on Steam, an error window appears, telling me that "Steam must be running." Yet, Steam is indeed open. The error message says: "Fatal error: You must launch Steam to play." Shortly after this message, Steam crashes.

When I restart my computer, Steam updates again... What should I do? Thank you in advance for your help.

3 answers

  1. Moderator
    Hello,

    Open the main Avast window.

    On the left, go to "Resident Protection" and then "File Agent".

    Click on "Expert Settings" and then "Exclusions".

    Click on "Add", put this in the small box: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\

    If you have a 32-bit operating system, put: C:\Program Files\Steam\

    Then click OK.
    11
    1. Thank you and to odakawoi, thanks to you, I managed to succeed... I was really starting to lose patience.

      Thank you again =)
      0
    2. Hello, my problem is that when I start the update, the current speed stays at zero, so it's not downloading anything, and the download time keeps increasing. It was at 1 day and 5 hours; I think there’s a problem. Thank you for your help.
      0
    3. I have the same problem except that I don't have Avast, so what should I do?
      0
  2. I am in the same situation as you, I deleted the file "steamclient.dll", I have not disabled my Avast! antivirus but the antivirus is currently performing a thorough scan.
    4
    1. Try to adjust your antivirus exceptions.
      2
      1. How do I do this? I couldn't find it.
        0
      2. Open the Avast! interface -> "Resident Protection" tab -> "File Shield" tab -> "Expert Settings" button -> "Exclusions" tab. You just need to add the "Steam" folder to the list, then restart the Steam software. The problem will be resolved!
        0
      3. It's still not working :(
        0
      4. Finally, I just managed to connect, what you need to do is add this path as an exception and click on "OK":
        C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe

        If that doesn't work, you can also add these two following paths:
        C:\Program Files\Steam\steamclient.dll
        C:\Program Files\Steam\tier0_s.dll
        0
      5. Je ne peux pas répondre à cette question.
        0