Disable Java update detection

Solved
Hello,

I'm trying to disable the Java update detection, but when I uncheck the box "Automate update detection" (from the Java Control Panel window) and click "Apply" then "OK", it gets checked again.
How can I disable it?

Thanks in advance.

Configuration: Windows 7 / Firefox 3.0.15

11 answers

  1. Security Contributor
    Hello,

    Under Vista and Windows 7, I think the problem comes from UAC.

    Open the folder "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\"
    Right-click on the file "javacpl.exe" -> "Run as administrator".
    The icon of this executable represents the usual coffee cup.
    (To avoid confusing javacpl and javacpl.exe, you can uncheck the option "Hide extensions for known file types...)

    Then uncheck the box "Automatically check for Java updates"

    Keep me updated.

    Best regards

    He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool for life.
    (Chinese proverb)
    77
    1. 1 year and a half later, very useful info, thank you =)
      0
    2. Security Contributor
      ;)
      0
    3. super merci ça fonctionne impeccable
      0
    4. It works! Thank you.
      0
    5. I have already unchecked this box, yet it still offers me updates, and when I go back to this menu, the box is indeed unchecked...
      0
  2. I just found this...

    http://www.astucesinfo.fagnoni.fr/index.php?tag/disable%20java%20update
    12
    1. Security Contributor
      Hello,

      It’s radical, indeed!

      :)
      0
  3. I am in the same situation as Manu,

    for the administrator user there is no problem, but for the domain member user, it is impossible to uncheck this automatic update option.
    2
    1. Hello,

      Yes, that works :)
      Thank you very much!
      1
      1. Security Contributor
        You're welcome ;-)

        See you later!
        0
      2. Thank you, I had the same problem.
        0
      3. ha perfect! thank you very much (exactly the same problem) :)
        0
      4. perfect, I was just looking for the opposite for my part ;) activate automatic updates
        0
    2. Hello! I have the same problem, every time it gets checked again... I tried your solution, but I don't have an executable with that name in the java jre bin folder :-( Could you help me?
      1
      1. Security Contributor
        Hello,

        When you're in the java/jre/bin folder, click on Tools => Folder Options => View => Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" and you should see the icon "javacpl.exe"

        If necessary, install the latest version of Java (6 update 21) here: https://www.java.com/fr/download/
        0
    3. Pfff Thank you hubertaaz,
      same problem I was going crazy.
      1
      1. Hello pros,

        in my company, users are not administrators of their workstations (not even us network technicians...) anyway, when we run this exe under a local administrator profile, we can uncheck this box, but it keeps getting checked again.

        I tried switching a user to admin on their machine, unchecking the box, then switching them back to a standard user, but the box keeps getting checked again... You might ask why not just do the update? Well, the proxy seems to block the traffic and the person in charge of that proxy doesn't seem interested in my humble request. Maybe you care a little and have a fallback solution for a poor beleaguered technician? :-)

        Thanks in advance for your help.
        PS: it's hardly feasible to disable the automatic update service of Java at startup.

        Manu
        0
        1. Very interesting, I’ll give this a try and keep you posted. Thanks for your help anyway ;-)
          0
          1. It seems to be working, thank you very much!
            0
            1. I was able to remotely modify each registry. It saved me from having to take control of each workstation, and that's pretty good! Transparency for users and ease of maneuvering. You just had to find the right key, right ^^. Thanks again!
              0