Pipe on MAC->Virtualbox->Ubuntu

Solved/Closed
Hello everyone,

I've just discovered that I can't type special characters like 'pipe' in my virtual session that I just installed.

The pipe works great in the MAC terminal with "alt+shift+L", but in the Ubuntu server terminal in Virtualbox, it doesn't work at all.

Any ideas?

My config is:
MAC OS 10.5.6
Virtualbox 2.2.0
Ubuntu Server 2.6

Thanks in advance everyone!
Configuration: Mac OS X Safari 525.27.1

5 answers

  1. Reference site UBUNTU:
    "
    Mac keyboard under ubuntu, pipe, brackets issue

    For information regarding these keyboard issues on ubuntu / MacBookPro.
    I had this problem with the characters "pipe" | ; brackets [ and { etc...
    These are actually the 3rd-level keys (obtained by 3 keys on MacOS X as previously described)

    The solution for ubuntu 9.04 that works for me is:
    Go to system/preferences/keyboard
    for info: Keyboard model: Portable apple
    Go to "layout options"

    click on "key selecting the 3rd level" and specify (check) : Left Alt
    You will then achieve the same behavior on linux to obtain the bracket, brace, pipe keys etc...
    that is to say: shift + Alt + L to get the pipe for example...


    the described solution also works with 9.10 and a macbook pro with a few small quirks:
    - under Kubuntu you have to choose the "portable apple" layout
    - under Ubuntu, you must take the "macbook pro(intl)"

    Otherwise, it's guaranteed to be a nerve crisis... (I just spent 2 hours on it)
    "

    (Thanks to Rocky76 and Edirol ;)
    14
    1. For "claudevz800": Sorry, but your answer doesn't work for the MacBook which doesn't have an Alt key on the right!
      0
    2. For me, it works perfectly, MacBook Pro and Ubuntu in VM, thank you very much :)
      0
    3. the solution is as follows:
      version: Ubuntu 3.2.0
      VMware Fusion
      Macbook Pro

      use: alt+6= |
      1
  2. Re hello,

    Well, I found it all by myself after a long fruitless search. I found it after asking the question on CCM!

    Here is the answer: you need to use the right "alt" and another key.

    Right Alt +
    Alt + @ = \
    Alt + & = | (pipe)
    Alt + é = @

    Good evening everyone
    2
    1. Under Debian in VM, it's
      Alt Gr + chevrons ( < )
      2
      1. Hello,

        I thought it would work on my Debian Etch but it doesn't!!
        What should I do?
        Does anyone have the solution?

        Ps: I don't have a graphical interface on my virtual Debian
        --

        **The pitcher goes so often to the well that it eventually breaks**
                                        °°--|€ruci@|--°°
        0
        1. Hello,

          Same under OpenSUSE 11.2 on Parallels Desktop 5 on MacOS X SnowLeopard (phew!, I prefer to be precise) ^^

          This key combination doesn't work with my MacBookPro keyboard.
          Keyboard mapping >> (http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/HT1167/Pasted%20Graphic%202.png)

          Any ideas?
          0