Check your bank and Free because they are Free of the Freebox -- Not impossible, inevitable.
flo
Thank you, that's nice, but I understand the problem well; the issue is that I am not subscribed, I do not own any box. In short, I am looking for someone in the same situation and would like to know what actions I can take to resolve it and obviously recover my money.
Céline
@floI was charged 72 euros instead of 29.90 I'm going to unsubscribe! This is not serious.
Furioso
...and me €543 even though I have no, absolutely no contact with this organization.
1
and me too, 540, what to do?
Chris
@1Same 540 € and I'm not subscribed to them! I don't know how to solve this!
philippe7627
Hello, how did you get here if you don't have a subscription??
flo
Very relevant! The subscription is not in my name! Simply put.
sydbarrett111
If, as you say, you have not authorized any direct debit for FREE TELECOM how could your bank have accepted an automatic debit? SHE IS RESPONSIBLE and must reimburse you best regards
Afrikarnak
Hello! If you really have nothing to do with Free, follow Sydbarett's advice. When you go to the bank, ask about the type of withdrawal. (Credit Card, other?). The action to take (as well as the applicable legal texts) depends on it... Talk to you later!
marantz
Hello I am in the same situation; I was charged 190 euros. Yet I haven't been subscribed for months. I tried to contact Free, but it was impossible to get someone to respond to me.
chennai
Hello,
I am in the same situation as you since...yesterday. Could you tell me how you proceeded since November to recover the €190?
Thank you
phil
@chennaiHello, same punishment for me this morning, 190 euros debited. I quickly rushed to my bank to block the transfers to Free. They advised me to write them an explanatory letter and send it with acknowledgment of receipt. When I canceled in May, I had sent a letter with acknowledgment of receipt. I hope this won’t go unaddressed; otherwise, I will file a complaint.
CELMA
Hello, I was also wrongfully charged 190 on January 9, 2009, for a Freebox that I had not received, noting that I returned it last year in April or May. The issue is that I no longer have the return receipt, as I threw it away since to me it had been almost a year. Is there any legal recourse? Thank you for your response.
nosmile
Well, we were debited 540 euros without being informed, we immediately opposed it at the bank which canceled the debit, BUT, Free is sending us to the bailiff: for not returning the device within eight days following our resignation a year earlier... they claimed they hadn't received our REGISTERED LETTER even though our new operator took care of it, but they needed a letter from us, which they hadn't received either, then for another 3 or 4 months, we were charged the subscription again and finally when the debit ended, 6 months after the debit of 540 euros and hostage or not hostage of a scam..! of course, it's well written on the back of their contract in the last paragraph in light gray!!!! the non-return clause but they didn’t have to inform us since it's already written in the contract.... now we are paying in installments! Free needs money to buy the new telecommunications standard... small wallets will pay...
joliejade
@nosmileI have the same problem! I canceled a few months ago, and seeing that I was still being charged, I called them. They told me they hadn't received any equipment or my registered letter, but the problem is that I didn't receive the acknowledgment of receipt. Is it the postal service that's at fault? In any case, it has disappeared! Odd, isn't it? So I stopped the payments; we'll see what happens later, but in any case, I won't pay for a subscription that I no longer have, that's for sure!
sydbarrett111
when you cancel a subscription revoke the direct debit authorization that you granted to the creditor with your bank by registered letter with acknowledgment of receipt or by letter submitted at the counter with a double stamped copy from your bank this will prevent many surprises sincerely
Babeth
Hello,
I was also charged 190 euros on January 9th. My account statement shows "Free Telecom" as the name of the company that made the charge. I canceled my subscription in June 2008 and I also received a confirmation receipt stating that Free had indeed received the Freebox I was renting along with my cancellation form.
I will be sending a complaint letter tomorrow and I have blocked the payment at the bank.
cricrisoso
Hello, misadventure resolved simply with Free
Having been a subscriber for 1 year with Free, I decided to terminate my subscription, with termination effective in July 2008. To do this, I called the hotline to find out the exact procedures. The person explained to me that I would receive a letter, and upon receipt within 15 days, I needed to return my modem as well as my HD box.
Upon returning from vacation, I still had not received any letter from the ISP, so I thought the matter was settled. Six months later, oh surprise, a debit of 440 euros. For your information, there's no point in calling Babelweb only to speak to someone who doesn't understand your explanations... money spent unnecessarily.
I immediately sent a registered letter to the dispute service and then returned my two boxes, stating the MAC numbers of my boxes in the letter, specifying that in case of no response from them, I would take the necessary steps to recover what was owed to me..... A month later, my account was credited with 440 euros... phew.
phil
Thanks to a very persuasive letter, I managed to get a full refund of the amount that was stolen from me, let's say it openly, which is 190 euros. After cancelling a subscription, you need to immediately notify your bank to block the withdrawals; I didn't know that, and it almost cost me a lot.
yoyo
@philPersonally, I had the problem with Alice, who did not respond to my cancellation letter. A month later, I went to my bank to cancel the direct debit, which cost me 13 euros and some letters with acknowledgment of receipt to the bailiff mandated by Alice. In the end, I explained my situation to them and they stopped harassing me. Well then, I returned their modem, and then received another letter from the bailiff for 99 euros. Following that, I called them again to explain that I had returned the equipment, and they closed my file (for information, my cancellation letter was sent in April and this was resolved in January of the following year.)
phelou
Hello, I was just shocked to see a debit of 440 euros for Free Telecom on my account. You say you've received the refund after sending back a letter and their equipment? What address should everything be sent back to, please? Thank you in advance for your reply. Have a good evening.
lynda
Good evening, I had exactly the same problem yesterday and they charged me 440 euros!! It's really shameful could you tell me at what address to send it back? It's really very important, thank you so much (phone number as well 06.26.91.17.68) Lynda, thank you again.
lynda
Can you tell me the address you sent the recorded delivery to for a refund? I really want to get back my 440 euros and I find this truly outrageous!!! Thank you very much, Lynda 06.26.91.17.68
steph
Same case. The bank does not want to oppose the withdrawal. I have not received any correspondence. Are they within their rights? Is there a possibility to file a complaint? I'm hesitant to return the modem without being sure of a refund...
jpmaxa
If you ask your bank to stop a direct debit, you are completely within your rights. A bank is a business like any other with very strict rules. We need to stop believing that banks have all the rights. Banks need customers and unfortunately do anything and everything to avoid losing their clients.
PS I work in a bank.
Max43800
Of course your bank has the right to refuse a direct debit.
leboube
Hello same issue as you this morning 440 euros yay !!!!!! my contract has been terminated since September 2008. I sent the boxes of course then I moved and obviously I didn't keep the receipt of the registered letter. and here they are 9 months later charging me 440 euros is this legal ????? is there a way to contest it ???? thank you
Costivore
Same - it's outrageous!! I've tried to contact them without success to return the equipment, no mail and one day... 440 € is huge! Does anyone know how to dispute or get a refund (template letter or anything else?)
Thank you for your help.
johnjohn
Hi everyone,
I just went through the same experience as you, debited €190 and I went to my bank and requested a late direct debit rejection, I provided Free with all my proof of sending the modem and the cancellation letter. And I managed to get credited back to my bank
I also told Free that I had contacted my lawyer (which is true)
lynda
I just sent a registered letter this noon with acknowledgment of receipt to finally get my refund.... I filled out a refund form that I found on free.fr. I hope this time it will be the right one.
Kawakiki
Hello Lynda,
We would like your advice on how to free ourselves from the tyranny of Free. Yes, I truly mean tyrants, because we canceled our service in March, and 9 months later we just had €190 debited by Société Générale for the Freebox modem, as in the meantime we did not return the modem which we still have in our possession, and therefore we would like to know how to resolve these issues.
Best regards, Erwan.
Jean
Hello everyone,
I had the same problem as you, and while searching the internet again yesterday, I came across this link: http://unoeilsurlemonde.com/2009/07/15/david-moi-meme-contre-free-goliath/
This young man seems to confirm that one can oppose the withdrawal, and especially that we are not charged because of the name referent of the Freeboxes...
If this can help...
pat
Hello, you need to rush to your bank; normally you have 2 to 3 working days to contest the unjustified direct debit. Have a nice day.
bertus
Hello,
To ensure you are not unfairly charged, here is the procedure to follow:
Send a registered letter with acknowledgment of receipt for cancellation AND the set-top box. Send a copy of the cancellation letter to the bank, also by registered mail with acknowledgment of receipt, along with a letter requesting the stoppage of direct debits.
Thus, neither the bank nor your operator will be able to initiate a charge under the threat of breaking the law.
elpopol
Here, I've had the same problem. I hadn't sent it in time and after 6 months, a withdrawal of €440... I sent several registered letters to Free and each time received the same response: we cannot etc etc Then one day I received a letter saying that the Freebox belonged to me and that I could retrieve it... I sent a positive response and 15 days later I received a letter saying that I would be refunded the €440 withdrawn... So don't lose hope, everything happens.
blafai
Actually, I'm thinking about canceling, but they require a registered letter to do so, where can I find that? Otherwise, how do I do it?? I am an international student Thank you in advance
jano
Hello, I am in the same situation. I opted for a subscription of 29.90, and on 11/13/09 I checked my account and saw a charge of 90 euros made by Free.
boubouch78
It's really very strange, I had the same problem, Free Telecom took 440 euros from my bank account even though I haven't been subscribed for a long time, it's outrageous!!! However, on the day of the withdrawal, on 08/10/2009, I immediately called my bank who blocked the transaction.
chrisdemauguio
I am like you. I just realized that I was charged 540 euros on December 12th! I think it’s too late to contest it. I will go to my bank first thing tomorrow. I had requested a subscription to Free and, not seeing anything happen, I canceled it 3 months after my request, in April!! And I just called: indeed, your line has been canceled!! I will therefore send a registered letter and contact a consumer protection association. Because obviously, I am the one who is going to have problems as my account is now overdrawn!!
M@thew
@chrisdemauguioHello, these questions do not concern the High Tech section of the site but the Law/Finance section and more specifically the forum "Consumption". Click ►HERE. Thank you.
-- We all learned one day, we should never forget it...
moonydanton
I also had a withdrawal of 63 euros on November 9, 2010, while my subscription was canceled since November 2009. I don't understand, what should I do to get a refund? ...thank you for giving me your advice.
Kawakiki
Hello,
we are in a nearly similar situation because we canceled Free since February-March, but in the meantime we haven't returned the Freebox version 4 modem because we are not on total unbundling. So, 9 months later, we were surprised to see a charge of 190 euros on our Société Générale statement. The situation is a bit delicate because we don't know how to oppose this charge. The bank could very well tell us that we haven't returned the modem, so they are within their rights, right? Does anyone have advice on how to get out of this issue?
Thanks, Erwan.
bouboule
Good evening!!!!!!! I canceled Free in July, it never worked at my place, why??????????? I DON'T KNOW, the technicians never showed up, so I signed up for another subscription!!!!!!! Everything is going very well!!!!!!! I haven't sent back my Free box because I haven't heard from them, and today they're charging me 512 euros!!!!!!!!!!!! Even though they didn't know my bank details, I won't let this go!!!!!!!!!!! They are scammers, that's all.