Jack / Jack: mono or stereo?

Hello,

I would like to know if the sound is transmitted in stereo in the following case:

The sound comes from my PC to my hi-fi system: a jack / jack connection, does it transmit sound in stereo?

If yes, is it different from a jack / RCA connection in terms of quality?

Thanks
Configuration: Windows XP Internet Explorer 7.0

2 answers

  1. Hi,

    By the way, the problem is that on your hi-fi chain if you plug in a jack you go mono (on line-in).

    --
    What’s the point of moving mountains when it’s so simple to go over them?
    -1
    1. What do you mean?
      on the channel description it says: 3.5mm stereo jack input...
      0
    2. @christianWell then in that case it's fine, no problem. Now to know what output you have on your sound card.

      --
      What’s the point of moving mountains when it’s so easy to go over them?
      0
    3. @BlueMindYes, that's what I thought.
      I think most channels that have a jack input are stereo? no?
      I don't know much about this area...
      And do you know if there is a difference with an RCA input?

      Thanks again!
      0
    4. @christianMost hi-fi chains offer a line-in or tape-in input, usually with stereo RCA (red and white), i.e., “consumer” connectors. On a standard computer, there is a line-out jack in a 3.5 mm stereo format. It’s enough to connect them with a 3.5 mm stereo jack to 2 RCA cable.

      No worries: the two connectors are equivalent in signal quality. If you have a good sound card and a good hi-fi system, it’s better to use a good cable (which will be more expensive) with gold-plated connectors and limit the distance between your amp and your PC (since it’s an unbalanced signal, the longer the distance, the more signal loss; the limit is about 50 m, I think).

      On professional sound cards, the stereo output (or more) is usually XLR or 6.35 mm TRS jack, and amplifiers or powered speakers offer XLR/6.35 mm TRS inputs. The big advantage: magnetic disturbances that managed to get past the shielding are canceled by the phasing effect (summation of two opposite signals).

      There you go, I know I’m digging up the topic a bit, but it can be useful—one never knows! ;)

      Malcolm
      https://malcolm-berthou.fr/
      0
    5. @Malcolm BerthouHello, I have a Jackmono/2*RCA adapter, I know it’s quite odd.
      But the problem is that it only takes sound from one voice. Is there a possibility of configuring Windows XP to send everything to a single speaker.

      The balance setting only controls the volume of each of the two voices and the mono setting for the computer in "Sound and peripherals" unfortunately doesn’t change anything.
      0