Damaged or missing driver (code 39)

Solved/Closed
Hello,
I am on Windows VISTA and for a few days now I can no longer read DVDs, CDs, nor my USB drive. When I search for a solution, I get the following message: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. This driver may be corrupted or missing (code 39)." And when I still try to install the driver, the following message appears: "Better driver already installed." Do you have a solution to propose? Thank you in advance.
Configuration: Windows Vista Internet Explorer 7.0

24 answers

  1. Contributor
    Hello everyone.

    Check if the burner is present in the computer (or PC for Vista). If it is absent, follow this procedure:

    Start>>right-click on My Computer>>Manage>>Device Manager. Click on the small + in front of the line "CD/DVD-ROM drives". Your drive will appear below. Double-click on it and see if the error refers to code 39. If so, do this:

    Hold down the Start (or Windows logo) key and press R at the same time.

    In the window that opens, type REGEDIT and confirm.

    Click on the small arrow in front of "HKEY LOCAL MACHINE". A small list will unfold. Click on the small arrow in front of "System" and so forth to reach this line:

    HKLMACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

    Just left-click on the bold number above. Values will appear on the right side.
    Check if there are any values called lowerfilter and upperfilter. If so, right-click on these values and delete them.

    Restart the PC.

    The drive should now work again.

    --

    Knowledge is only wealth if it is shared
    28
    1. Hello Blondin
      Sorry to bother you, but I saw that you provided specific help regarding "code 39"!
      Actually, I'm experiencing this problem but with my sound card; apparently, it doesn't recognize it anymore, so there's no sound!
      You also mentioned that it could come from a downloaded software; indeed, I downloaded a software for my webcam two days ago, and I think it might be related to that...
      Thanks in advance
      See you soon
      0
    2. Hi blodin777,

      Thank you for the tip, I’ll struggle through that cursed player. Everything is back to normal now.
      See you later and thanks again.
      fafa
      0
    3. I had this problem and your solution is perfect, thank you very much!
      0
    4. Hello,
      I deleted the lowfilter values (I don't have an upperfilter) but it still doesn't work. I have a PC that runs on Linux or XP (choice at startup), I have sound under Linux but not under XP.
      I reinstalled the CD with the drivers but XP doesn’t want to acknowledge it.
      The graphics card is integrated into the motherboard: Asus M2N-CM DVI.
      What is the problem? Is it configured only for Linux?
      0
    5. Bonjour, j'essaie de remettre le lecteur car j'ai une erreur 39, mais vous dites qu'il faut cliquer sur "start" et "R" en même temps, mais je ne trouve pas la touche "start" ni le logo Windows. Pouvez-vous m'aider ?
      0