Linux to replace w10
Hello everyone
Hoping to anticipate a "failure" of Windows 10, I would like to install Linux on my old laptop (Toshiba TIH0041200A).
I have managed to create a partition of 181 GB.
Now I would like to know how to install Linux (which I have used before) and be able to choose at startup between Windows 10 (C drive) or Linux (Y drive).
Thank you in advance for your solutions, and I'll respond to any details I may have missed.
1 answer
-
Hello,
You don't seem to have a grasp of the basics; there are errors in your statements.
Linux is a kernel; when referring to Linux as an operating system, we're talking about "Linux distributions" by naming the one you want to install.
Moreover, we do not create a partition for disks; you're mistaking it with what Windows tells you, which doesn't use technical language.
The installation of Windows creates several partitions on a disk; what you falsely refer to as a C: drive is a partition named by Windows, readable by its file explorer; Linux has nothing to do with it. However, what you refer to as a Y: drive is still a partition named Y formatted by Windows that needs to be deleted and assigned to the partitions dedicated to your Linux distribution during its installation.
Linux does not name things the same way. For example, dev/sda is a Linux disk name.
To boot into Windows or Linux, Linux distributions sometimes offer to automatically create everything, including partitioning with the amount of data allocated as you wish, but there will no longer be the Windows bootable sector, replaced by the grub of Linux, so be careful; if you delete the Linux partitions, you will need to recreate the Windows boot partition.
-
But also, what is stopping you from reinstalling Windows and making a bootable USB instead, if you want to anticipate a "breakdown," rather than opting for a Linux distribution if it's too complicated? It's basic to know how to format Windows.
If it's a hardware problem, it won't help either; by the way, you haven't given the actual model reference of your Toshiba, I can't find anything concrete online with your number.
-
Hello,
Aside from a hardware issue, we will eventually have to abandon Windows 10 if we take security updates into account.
A boot key is irrelevant; we should always have one at home regardless.
The question isn't more or less technical on either side, but paradoxically the dual boot as mentioned does not remove Windows. However, for most Linux distributions and for beginners, it doesn’t matter how the partitioning will be seen by Windows or Linux, except that we will need to start by creating a new partition (so under Windows) to host Linux.
Formally, the Grub boot manager of Linux does not make the Windows one disappear but takes control over it, so indeed, if we change our mind, we cannot simply delete the Linux partition without having removed it beforehand. -
@brucine
Hello brucine,
Yes indeed, if he has heard online about the end of security support for Windows 10, it is better for him to switch to a Linux distribution.
Thank you for the details about grub and dual boot.
-
Sorry for omitting the word 'DISTRIBUTION'.
Anyway, a few years ago I was able to choose to start a partitioned PC either on Vista (yes!), or under a Linux DISTRIBUTION. The choice was Ubuntu, Mint or Fedora (at my son’s whim who was testing the different DISTRIBUTIONS). I had adapted to each DISTRIBUTION.
It should still be doable without a bootable key...
-
@Winux01
I checked on the web but not Google, it appears as an old model that can be used to install Linux alongside Windows 10. It’s the basis of knowing how to search the web...
-