Backup error on robocopy command

Solved
Hello,

I am performing a remote backup of a distant file server to a Western Digital NAS using robocopy.
The command is launched on a server with a domain administrator account.

For the connection to the NAS, I have configured the creation of a network drive with username and password specified.
My .bat is set up to define variables for the source, destination, and date definition.
The destination folder for the log file is created based on the date using md j:\...

My robocopy command is:
robocopy %SOURCE% %DESTINATION%\%year%%month%%day%DIR\ /E /copy:DAT /B /XF thumbs.db /NDL /fp /TS /NP /R:1 /W:1 >> "%destination%\%year%%month%%day%DIR\Log DIR Robocopy %year%-%month%-%day%.txt"

I chose /copy:dat to avoid issues with NTFS permissions.

However, I am encountering an error on many files (222 GB to back up)
<date> <time> ERROR 5 (0x00000005) copying file <\\.....\....\....pdf> ACCESS DENIED

I have the error for all eml files, but also on doc, docx, pdf, ...
I have read that /zb resolves some issues, but the symptoms seem different.
I can't find anything online about this problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

P.S.: In the original file, there are the commands
for /f "delims=/ token=1,2,3" %%1 in ('echo %date%') do set DA=%%1/%%2/%%3
for /f "delims=/ token=1,2,3" %%1 in ('echo %date%') do set DAFR=%%1-%%2-%%3
for /f "delims=/ token=1,2,3" %%1 in ('echo %date%') do set DAY=%%1/%%2/%%3

But I don't know what these lines correspond to, so I had disabled them.
Thanks to those who respond to us without asking for anything in return other than respect and few mistakes... :)

10 answers

  1. Yes, for the config that's it.
    I tested the command but I still have my error and the eml file is created but with the date in 1980

    --
    Thanks to those who respond to us without asking for anything in return except for respect and few mistakes... :)
    2
    1. Just to test, does it work better if you use the machine where the script is located?
      -1
  2. Hello,

    If you want us to help you, post your entire script.
    0
    1. I thought I had provided enough info, I'll do this tomorrow when I return to work.
      0
  3. rem---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rem configuration of NAS access
    rem---------------------------------------------------------------------------

    net use j: /delete /y
    net use j: \\ipNAS\BackupFolder /user:user password

    rem ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rem definition of variables
    rem ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

    rem source folder
    SET SOURCE=\\IPsrvFile\folder to backup

    rem destination folder
    SET DESTINATION=\\ipNAS\BackupFolder

    rem definition of the day
    SET day=%date:~0,2%

    rem definition of the month
    SET month=%date:~3,2%

    rem definition of the year
    SET year=%date:~6,4%

    rem ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rem creation of the destination directory
    rem ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

    md j:\%year%%month%%day%DIR
    md j:\%year%%month%%day%DIR\log

    rem ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rem ------------
    rem ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

    rem unknown command

    rem for /f "delims=/ tokens=1,2,3" %%1 in ('echo %date%') do set DA=%%1/%%2/%%3

    rem for /f "delims=/ tokens=1,2,3" %%1 in ('echo %date%') do set DAFR=%%3-%%2-%%1

    rem for /f "delims=/ tokens=1,2,3" %%1 in ('echo %date%') do set DAY=%%1/%%2/%%3

    rem ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    rem starting the backup
    rem ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

    robocopy %SOURCE% %DESTINATION%\%year%%month%%day%DIR\ /E /copy:DAT /R:1 /W:1 /B /XF thumbs.db /NDL /fp /TS /NP >> "%destination%\%year%%month%%day%DIR\log\Log DIR Robocopy %year%-%month%-%day%.txt"

    --
    Thank you to those who respond to us without asking for anything in return except respect and little faults... :)
    0
    1. Sure, what does the log say? Give me the entire log so I can see what works and what doesn't.

      You can simulate and generate a log using the /NOCOPY switch

      By the way, your first md command is useless.
      0
      1. I noticed that the eml file was copied well but it couldn't copy the detail information
        This includes, among other things, creation and modification date 02.01.1980 at 01:00

        Thanks to the people who respond to us without asking for anything in return except respect and few mistakes... :)
        0

        1. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          ROBOCOPY :: Robust file copy for Windows
          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

          Start: Wed Mar 29 10:27:08 2017

          Source: \\IPsrvfichier\backup folder
          Dest: \\ipNAS\backupFolder

          Files: *.*

          Excluded files: thumbs.db

          Options: *.* /TS /FP /NDL /S /E /COPY:DAT /B /NP /R:0 /W:1

          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

          New file 76288 2014/06/02 09:19:31 \\IPsrvfichier\backup folder\doc1.doc
          New file 40960 2014/06/02 09:19:05 \\IPsrvfichier\backup folder\doc2.doc
          New file 182926 2014/06/05 08:02:05 \\IPsrvfichier\backup folder\mail.eml
          2017/03/29 10:27:09 ERROR 5 (0x00000005) Copying file \\IPsrvfichier\backup folder\mail.eml
          Access denied.

          -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

          Total Copied Skipped Mismatch FAILED Extras
          Retry: 1 0 1 0 0 1
          Files: 3 2 0 0 1 0
          Bytes: 293.1 k 114.5 k 0 0 178.6 k 0
          Hours: 0:00:00 0:00:00 0:00:00 0:00:00

          Rate: 577576 Bytes/sec.
          Rate: 33.049 Megabytes/min.

          Finished: Wed Mar 29 10:27:09 2017

          --
          Thank you to the people who respond to us without asking for anything in return except respect and few mistakes... :)
          0
          1. In terms of document security, network administrator accounts have full control over all files (it's the GGs listing the admin accounts that are in full control)
            I'm thinking about NTFS security, but normally, in the error line report, I should have the following precision:
            "ERROR 5 (0x00000005) NTFS security copy in the destination file< directory name > access denied"
            Am I wrong?

            Thanks to those who respond to us without asking for anything in return except respect and few mistakes... :)
            0
            1. If I understood correctly, you have a file server, a NAS, and you are running this script from a third machine, is that right?
              0
          2. Try it like this :
            net use j: /delete /y
            net use j: \\ipNAS\BackupFolder /user:user password

            rem definition of the day
            SET day=%date:~0,2%

            rem definition of the month
            SET month=%date:~3,2%

            rem definition of the year
            SET year=%date:~6,4%

            rem source folder
            SET SOURCE=\\IPsrvFile\folder to backup

            rem destination folder
            SET DESTINATION=j:\%year%%month%%day%DIR\

            md %destination%
            md %destination%log

            chcp 1252

            robocopy %SOURCE% %DESTINATION% /E /FFT /copy:DAT /R:3 /W:10 /B /XF thumbs.db /V /NDL /FP /TS /NP >> "%destination%log\Log DIR Robocopy %year%-%month%-%day%.txt"

            exit
            0
            1. Copy the test folder content on the machine launching the .bat file while preserving the same AD rights.
              No change, same error. Access denied to the eml file but still copying it with the date parameters set to 1980.

              --
              Thanks to those who respond to us without asking for anything in return other than respect and few mistakes... :)
              0
              1. We exclude the NAS, you copy the content from the file server to the machine running the script.
                0
            2. No mistakes with this approach.
              For the NAS, it's a Western Digital My Cloud 4100 with firmware 2.21.126

              --
              Thanks to the people who respond to us without asking for anything in return other than respect and few mistakes... :)
              1
              1. I found the solution, I used /ZB instead of /B and I no longer got any command line errors, it looks like this:
                robocopy %source% %destination%\%year%%month%%day%XXX\dir /E /FFT /COPY:DAT /R:0 /W:2 /ZB /XF thumbs.db /V /NDL /FP /TS /NP >> "%destination%\%year%%month%%day%XXX\LOG.txt

                Thank you for the help you provided me.
                0
              2. Glad your problem is solved.

                Thank you for providing the solution.

                See you soon, perhaps.
                0
              3. Given how much I've struggled with this, if it can prevent migraines and increase the burden on social security... You've helped me in the past and well, for once if I can help, it's just a way of returning the favor.
                0