Default Google Chrome

Solved

Hello

I uninstalled Google because it no longer recognized my favorites and I couldn't delete them. I reinstalled it, but now I can't set it as the default. I get a window every time where I have to check Google.

Thank you for your help

40 answers

  1. hi

    thanks for the feedback, that’s nice!

    no problem for the help, we were happy to do it.

    take care.

    @+


    0
    1. re

      I've just explained to you that it's not possible because W7 no longer supports the current version of Chrome

      PS: personally, I practice "the old-fashioned way" for the usernames and passwords of the different sites I connect to, I write everything down in a notebook

      I hope you understand that it's no longer possible to sync Chrome on W7 and W11

      @+


      0
      1. I will mark the issue as resolved. Thank you again.

        0
      2. If there was synchronization via Google account, it should have also synchronized the bookmarks.

        Otherwise, I don't really believe it, and in any case, it's just delaying the inevitable. We can always try exporting to an HTML file to a USB drive and importing it the other way around.

        https://www.ju.edu/it/Browser_Favorites_Chrome-How_To.pdf

        0
      3. @brucine

        I had tried. It doesn't hold.

        0
      4. @mariepel

        So either you change your browser, or you upgrade your PC to Windows 10 if it has the resources and drivers, it's no longer free, but you can find licenses online for €0.90.

        However, what would lead in the first case to changing the browser also under Windows 11, is that it's always easier to recover bookmarks with the same one (and it's especially easy with Firefox).

        0
      5. @brucine

        I agree with you. But still, the problem with favorites also manifested under W11 even though I have the updates. The issue lies elsewhere. I did a repair but I got this message

        0
    2. re

      I still have those famous favorites in W7 that Google no longer manages

      it's because W7 no longer supports the current version of Chrome

      you can upgrade to W10 with this PC running W7...

      the end of support for W10 is announced for October 14, 2025

      let us know what you want to do with your PC running W7

      @+


      0
      1. I'm doing everything with it. But it doesn't seem to recognize that it's no longer supporting Chrome.

        I had the same issue with W11, which is why I uninstalled it. I struggled too much, so I don't want to uninstall it on W7. I just want it to restore my favorites and to be able to delete them like before.

        0
    3. hi

      it's a good thing -:)

      do you still have any issues, or is everything okay for you?

      @+


      0
      1. For my W11 laptop, it's all good.

        I'll be able to work peacefully thanks to you.

        I still have those famous favorites in W7 that Google no longer manages.

        0
    4. Hi

      Did you see my previous message? ==> click here

      Since you uninstalled Chrome on your PC with W11 and reinstalled it, I don't know if it's possible to recover the passwords

      Talk to you later


      0
      1. Alright

        0
      2. In the absence of a shared Google account or the acrobatics of a network copy, it is enough, if they are the same, to export them from Windows 7 to a USB stick and import them into Windows 11.

        https://www.pcastuces.com/pratique/astuces/5722.htm

        0
      3. @brucine

        I will try, thank you

        0
      4. @mariepel

        Finally, the synchronization worked

        0
    5. re

      For the desktop PC

      Is the PC in question running W7?

      The PC on which you ran FRST is running W11 and is up to date

      @+


      0
      1. hi

        Tell me if I synchronize with the desktop PC in Google, will I retrieve my passwords?

        If you synchronize what with the desktop PC in Google?

        What do you mean by appearance?

        I thought you wanted to put the W7 desktop on W11

        @+


        0
        1. Hello,

          Apparently, bookmarks and passwords are primarily through a Google account, otherwise retrieving the appropriate files and merging them on a local Windows 11-Windows 7 network is quite a challenge.

          https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/165139?hl=fr&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop

          It's not a good idea to continue using Chrome on Windows 7 anyway, as it is no longer updated or maintained, and we don't know which features are still available; it's better to prefer Firefox ESR.

          0
        2. @brucine

          hi Brucine,

          Pale Moon (derived from Firefox) also works with W7 (latest version 33.2), I just checked that my W7

          @+

          0
        3. For the desktop PC, I just wanted Google to save my new bookmarks, which it hasn't been doing for a few days now.

          0
        4. @billmaxime

          Hello,

          Yes, why not although it's less common, but in any case none of the main browsers including Chrome.

          0
        5. @mariepel

          And since I reinstalled Google on Windows 11, all my passwords are no longer saved. That's why I'm asking if I synchronize my Google on W7 (will I recover my passwords?)

          Thank you

          0
      2. re

        On the other hand, for the Windows 7 desktop PC

        you want to make the appearance of the desktop of W7 on W11?

        PS: hi Kaneagle

        @+


        0
        1. What about the appearance?

          Tell me if I synchronize with the desktop PC in Google, will I retrieve my passwords? Thanks

          0
      3. Moderator

        You're welcome, it was our pleasure.
        Have a great day.

        At the same time, my greetings to @ brucine and billmaxime.

        1
        1. Fortunately, we have people like you to help.

          However, for the Windows 7 desktop PC, Google is not saving my new bookmarks and won't delete the ones I no longer need. I don't want to uninstall it.

          0
      4. Moderator

        Forget the registry for now.
        Install Chrome.

        1
        1. Alright

          0
        2. @mariepel

          I'm so happy the favorites stay. Thank you all for your help.

          0
      5. Moderator

        Have you successfully deleted the Google folder in these 2 directories?
        --> C:\users\your username\AppData\Local
        --> C:\Programs

        1
        1. Yes, there was indeed a leftover. Thank you

          I will reinstall Google

          0
        2. @mariepel

          On the other hand, in Regedit there is still localservice with google inside

          0
      6. hi

        with Revo Uninstaller, choose advanced mode for uninstalling Chrome

        the tutorial for Revo ==> click here

        after uninstalling, download Chrome and reinstall it

        PS: I should be away around 13:45

        @+


        0
        1. I did it with Revo

          I have a residue

          0
        2. @mariepel

          In Regedit, there is a folder

          0
        3. Moderator
          @mariepel

          Hello,

          Have you restarted since then?

          0
        4. @kaneagle

          Yes

          It's still there in the installed applications

          0
      7. re

        save your bookmarks in Chrome (if you want to keep them) ==> click here

        then, check this topic for uninstalling Chrome ==> click here

        if you have any questions...

        @+


        0
        1. I regularly back up my favorites

          I am going to uninstall Chrome

          I will get back to you later. Thank you

          0
      8. re

        ok, for the page with the ad selection in Chrome, I don't think we can do anything...

        see what it looks like in Chrome

        @+


        0
        1. It's always the same, piff.

          0
        2. @mariepel

          What will happen if I uninstall and reinstall it?

          0
        3. @mariepel

          So, on the desktop PC, I don't dare to uninstall Chrome. There's the same issue with the bookmarks.

          0
      9. re

        ok, right-click on FRST and rename it to uninstall.exe

        right-click on uninstall.exe ==> run as administrator

        the procedure requires 1 restart

        let me know when it's done

        @+


        0
        1. It's done

          0
      10. re

        ok for the correction

        PS: don't forget to post the fixlog.txt report after the correction

        @+


        0
        1.  https://www.cjoint.com/c/NGijwwejZwS

          0
      11. hi

        in addition to my previous message ==> click here

        if the fix does not work, do this:

        /!\ you ran FRST from the download directory...

        put FRST on your desktop

        1) close all your running programs

        2) disable Avast (disable the agents until the next reboot) ==> click here

        3) copy all the text below (from Start:: to End::) and paste it into Notepad ==> click here

        4) when the text is pasted into Notepad, save the file naming it ==> fixlist.txt

        5) run FRST as administrator (right-click)

        6) copy all the text from the fixlist.txt file

        7) click on fix in FRST

        8) let the fix complete with FRST and restart the pc when prompted

        9) when the pc has restarted, you will have 1 file FIXLOG on the desktop, post it via Cjoint ==> click here

        @+


        0
        1. re

          ok for Avast

          do this:

          close all your running programs

          run FRST as administrator (right click)

          copy all the text from this link ==> click here

          when the script is copied, click on fix in FRST

          let the fix happen with FRST and restart the pc when prompted

          once the pc has restarted, you will have 1 file FIXLOG on the desktop, post it by copying it in your reply

          @+


          0
          1. I disabled Avast

            I placed FRST64 on the desktop

            0
          2. @mariepel

            That's good, it corrects

            0
        2. Hi

          I know you have Avast, I'm asking you if you want to keep it or uninstall it since Windows Defender, which does the same job, is installed on the PC.

          See you+


          0
          1. I keep for now

            0
        3. Hi

          Do you have Avast on your PC? Do you want to keep it or uninstall it?

          On W11, Windows Defender is installed by default with Windows and does the same job!

          See you later


          0
          1. Yes, I have Avast

            0
          2. @mariepel

            I'll come back later, thanks again for your help.

            0
        • 1
        • 2