Default Google Chrome

Solved

Hello

I uninstalled Google because it no longer recognized my favorites and I couldn't delete them. I reinstalled it, but now I can't set it as the default. I get a window every time where I have to check Google.

Thank you for your help

40 answers

  1. Moderator

    Have you successfully deleted the Google folder in these 2 directories?
    --> C:\users\your username\AppData\Local
    --> C:\Programs

    1
    1. Yes, there was indeed a leftover. Thank you

      I will reinstall Google

      0
    2. @mariepel

      On the other hand, in Regedit there is still localservice with google inside

      0
  2. Moderator

    Forget the registry for now.
    Install Chrome.

    1
    1. Alright

      0
    2. @mariepel

      I'm so happy the favorites stay. Thank you all for your help.

      0
  3. Moderator

    You're welcome, it was our pleasure.
    Have a great day.

    At the same time, my greetings to @ brucine and billmaxime.

    1
    1. Fortunately, we have people like you to help.

      However, for the Windows 7 desktop PC, Google is not saving my new bookmarks and won't delete the ones I no longer need. I don't want to uninstall it.

      0
  4. hi

    Chrome is a browser, and Google is a search engine

    which one do you want to set as default?

    @+


    0
    1. Hello

      The search engine

      Thank you

      0
    2. @mariepel

      I have the Google Chrome desktop shortcut, so the browser.

      0
    3. @mariepel

      Hello,

      Incomprehensible, a search engine is by definition linked to a browser. Are you saying that when you open Chrome, which is your default browser, it offers a different search engine than Google? That would be surprising; if so, which one?

      0
  5. hi

    for the search engine, it's in the Chrome settings

    in Chrome, click on the 3 vertical dots at the top right and click on "settings"

    on the settings page, click on "search engine", then on "manage search engines"

    on the page that opens, click on the 3 vertical dots next to "Google", and click on "use as default"

    PS: you can also delete the search engines you no longer want

    if you have any questions....

    @+


    0
    1. That's exactly what I did

      0
    2. @mariepel

      I also went through the control panel

      0
    3. @mariepel

      re

      This page is for the browser

      I don't know why you have this search engine suggestion when you open Chrome

      PS: when you select your search engine, do you click on "set as default" at the bottom right of the page?

      @+

      0
    4. @billmaxime

      Yes, I do click on define

      0
    5. @billmaxime

      Hello,

      It seems that this window results from the DMA obligation to offer a choice between different engines instead of imposing Google since June 2024, but this does not explain why the choice is not being retained.

      0
  6. hi

    test this for disabling the page

    in the Chrome search bar, copy/paste ==> chrome://flags/ and hit Enter

    on the page that opens, check the screenshot to disable the option (click on the image to enlarge it, or right-click ==> open in a new tab)

    if you have any questions...

    @+


    0
    1. Thank you, it works.

      Now this is what opens

      0
      1. hi

        click on "more" on the page and post 1 screenshot

        @+


        0
        1. 0
      2. re

        click "no thanks" and see what happens when you open Chrome

        @+


        0
        1. I have another window

          0
        2. @mariepel

          I click ok and then I have the Google page, but when I close it, everything comes back.

          0
      3. re

        check this page to manage ad privacy ==> click here

        PS: on the page, look for this line ==> Modify ad privacy settings, and the blue lines below

        if you have any questions...

        @+


        0
        1. Hi

          did you find what you were looking for regarding the settings?

          does the page still open when you start Chrome?

          @+


          0
          1. I'm going to see. I went out. Thank you.

            0
        2. ok, let me know if you manage to do what you want

          @+


          0
          1. I see nothing that has changed

            0
        3. Does the page always open when you start Chrome?

          @+


          0
          1. Yes, always the same

            When I check certain things, it doesn't hold

            0
          2. @mariepel

            Google is a scourge, I no longer use the browser, but every now and then I use the search engine.

            By analogy, the situation suggests that choices are not saved despite the option in the settings because cookies or browsing history are deleted upon closing or because the possible lack of simultaneous connection to one's Google account prevents them from being saved.

            0
        4. hi

          are you logged in with a Microsoft account?

          @+


          0
          1. I am using my Gmail account

            0
          2. @mariepel

            I'm changing the theme and enlarging the window.

            But when I go back, everything is gone.

            0
        5. re

          yes, it's a Microsoft account

          look at what it shows in Chrome settings ==> Privacy and Security ==> Ad Privacy and turn everything off

          once that's done, check if the page still displays

          @+


          0
          1. It's the same

            0
        6. be right back

          I'm going to check the settings in Chrome and I'll be back

          see you


          0
          1. Thank you for your patience.

            0
        7. hi

          in the Chrome address bar, if you copy/paste this ==> chrome://settings/privacy

          do you reach this page?

          @+


          0
          1. yes

            0
          2. @mariepel

            I uninstalled Google because I noticed that I could no longer add or remove favorites.

            Now I'm trying Edge (which I never use) and it also refuses to accept favorites.

            I'm checking my husband's desktop PC. He has the same problem. He has Windows 7 and I have Windows 11 on the laptop.

            0
          3. @mariepel

            I personally only use Firefox now, which doesn't bombard me with ads and messages and manages my bookmarks without any issues, but to each their own.

            The best way to import favorites into it is to export them in HTML from another browser.

            0
          4. @brucine

            Hello

            I tried to import them into Edge and I'm facing the same issue. I import them and when I close Edge, they disappear. This happens on my desktop and my laptop.

            0
          5. @mariepel

            Hello,

            I'm not advocating for Firefox or any particular browser, everyone has their choice, but note that Edge and Chrome share the same engine, which could explain the persistence of the problem; trying it on Firefox would at least clarify things.

            0
        8. hi

          ok, on the page, click on "ad privacy", then click on the 3 themes and disable them

          example

           let me know how it goes after the change

          @+


          0
          1. It's already unchecked so it's the same

            0
          2. @mariepel

            The first one was unchecked and I unchecked the other 2.

            But when I come back they are checked again.

            0
        9. Hi

          I see that on this page, you have options for various themes (music, cinema/video, etc...)

          If you go through the various options for advertising, etc..., you might be able to disable those options

          I think your issue comes from the fact that you are logged in (Microsoft account), because I don't have this issue with Chrome

          Let me know if you manage to solve your issue

          See you+


          0
          1. I logged out.

            It doesn't matter.

            0
          2. @mariepel

            "If you go through the various options for the AD etc..., you might be able to disable the options."

            It's just that I don't see the options.

            I'll leave you, have a good evening.

            I'll see you tomorrow.

            0
        10. re

          ok, send a message when you log in tomorrow

          have a good evening

          @+


          0
          1. Hello billmaxime

            The night changed nothing. I was rereading our discussion from yesterday. Is it a Microsoft account issue?

            0
          2. @mariepel

            I analyzed with Spybot

            0
        • 1
        • 2