Antivirus scan that never ends

Hello,
I have been experiencing significant slowdowns on my computer for several months, as well as recurring and extremely frequent crashes of the various software I use (messages: Word or Outlook or Chrome, etc. saying "not responding" with a software freeze lasting 2-3 minutes each time).
When I finally had the time to address this issue, I wanted to perform a system restore through the control panel. However, I no longer had any automatic restore points prior to these problems.
My computer has a D: drive for data and an SSD C: drive for the system.
It dates back to 2013 and is running Windows 8.1. I then attempted a restoration of the SSD drive using a complete backup of that same drive made 9 months ago with the Acronis backup software (during a time prior to my problems). This restoration was successful but did not resolve the issues observed.
I then tried to perform several complete scans of my computer using my McAfee antivirus, but these scans never finish (despite about fifteen hours of waiting) and get stuck at 41%.
What should I conclude from this? What should I do?
Thank you in advance.

Configuration: Windows / Chrome 100.0.4896.127

26 answers

  1. Moderator
    RE_

    You have two McAfee installed, there may be a conflict between the two. Which one is the right one? Uninstall the other one.
    => McAfee LiveSafe
    => McAfee Security Scan Plus


    --
    Security contributor.
    1
    1. After speaking with McAfee support, the scanning issue is resolved: I uninstalled the antivirus and then reinstalled it.
      The complete scan of the computer is now nearing its conclusion: McAfee detects absolutely nothing.
      The test of the two disks using CrystalDiskInfo or SSD Life Pro is perfect.
      But the problem of slowdowns and regular crashes is still there...





      0
      1. Moderator
        RE_

        To see

        We are going to diagnose the PC:

        Read the entire procedure before posting the reports
        Do not post them directly in the messages as they are unreadable and incomplete

        The reports FRST.txt and Addition.txt are expected

        All reports must be hosted on https://security-x.fr/up/ and you indicate the obtained links in your response

        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

        --> The SmartScreen filter may trigger an alert. Click on Actions or More information then on Run anyway

        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

        --> Download the FRST version of Farbar, compatible with your system and save the file to your Desktop

        --> For a 32-bit system
        --> For a 64-bit system

        How do I know which version 32-bit or 64-bit is running on my system?

        --> Wait for your browser to offer the download to save, without clicking anywhere, especially not on the sponsors of the page.
        --> Close all applications, including your browser
        --> Double-click on FRST.exe and click Yes to accept the Disclaimer
        --> Under Vista, Windows 7 / 8 and 10, you must launch the file by right-clicking -> Run as administrator
        --> Wait until it indicates The tool is ready to run
        --> On the main menu, click on Scan and wait for the analysis to complete
        --> At the end of the scan, the reports FRST.txt and Addition.txt are created. Post these reports in your next response.
        --> The reports are saved in the same location as the tool and under C:\FRST\Logs

        --
        Security contributor.
        0
        1. <traduction :="" il="" n="" a="" rien="" traduire="" ici="" car="" ce="" texte="" ne="" contient="" pas="" de="" contenu="" textuel="" autre="" que="" des="" urls.="" />
          0
          1. I reinstalled McAfee Life Safe with the MCPR.exe file that support had me download, supposed to remove all traces of the software. Then I uninstalled McAfee Security Scan Plus with the advanced uninstallation software Revo Uninstaller to remove any remaining traces of McAfee. I restarted the computer and downloaded and installed McAfee Life Safe again.
            But it doesn't change anything at all...
            0
            1. Moderator
              RE_

              OK, it's a start.

              Redo a FRST scan and post the new reports.

              --
              Security contributor.
              0
              1. Moderator
                RE_

                Sorry, I missed your topic.

                Uninstall:

                => Java 8 Update 291
                => QuickTime 7
                => Search App by Ask
                => WebAdvisor by McAfee
                => Yahoo Search Set


                ---------------------
                ---------------------------------------------

                --> Copy what is here: https://textup.fr/624288pa from start:: to end:: (without pasting it anywhere)

                --> Open FRST (or FRST64) as administrator and click on Fix
                If FRST seems to freeze or not respond, let it run

                --> The PC will restart

                --> A fixlog file is created in the same location as FRST, post it like the other reports

                --> Let me know if you still have the problem.

                --
                Security contributor.
                0
                1. The malfunctions were still there in recent days even though I had completely uninstalled McAfee, particularly McAfee WebAdvisor. So the problem doesn't come from it. If I uninstall it, I won't be able to find it again without having to uninstall the entire antivirus and reinstall everything. So I'm not very keen on that.

                  As for QuickTime, I haven't opened it or updated it for much longer than the appearance of my problems. So they don't come from it.

                  Is it okay with you if I uninstall the rest but not these two items???
                  0
                  1. Moderator
                    RE_

                    Your system is damaged:
                    Windows Resource Protection found corrupted files, but
                    was unable to fix some of them


                    Apply a fix with this (same procedure as before)
                    start::
                    cmd: DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
                    cmd: sfc /scannow
                    emptytemp:
                    end::


                    --
                    Security contributor.
                    0
                    1. Here it is
                      https://up.security-x.fr/file.php?h=R5c46ee15d6349f5ac4cac75a132da393
                      I just tested it for 5 - 10 minutes with several applications: I didn't have any crashes or slowdowns.
                      I hope it's good! We'll see obviously over a longer period (like a week, for example). I'll keep you updated.
                      Do you have the possibility to check with the posted report if my system is completely fixed???
                      Anyway, thank you for your help.
                      0
                      1. Moderator
                        RE_

                        Yes, the second repair seems to have done the job
                        The Windows Resource Protection program found no integrity violations.


                        --
                        Security Contributor.
                        0
                        1. Awesome!!! I'll keep you posted.
                          However, I don't understand what could have damaged my system... Those outdated software that could have security vulnerabilities???
                          And why didn't the system restore using my Acronis disk image bring the system back to the state it was in on the date of the backup when everything was working fine??? That's what I question the most.
                          Thanks again to you.
                          0
                          1. I’m reaching out to you earlier than expected. I’ve used the computer for a number of hours this evening. The situation has clearly improved, but the computer’s performance hasn’t returned to normal: there are still some slowdowns and unresponsiveness, but they don’t last (too) long. And regarding McAfee, I’m going back to my initial call: while the complete scan ran normally after uninstalling and reinstalling and completed successfully, I just restarted a new scan: it is not stuck at 49%, but the files being scanned are trickling in (I’ve been at 49% for hours).
                            I’m running another scan with FRST. Can you please check if you see anything else abnormal? Thanks in advance.

                            https://up.security-x.fr/file.php?h=R0b4e7f39a15517a3c6d2eed4b00272cf
                            https://up.security-x.fr/file.php?h=R46dea52ef5ad0b0f2feeb4e59aca2102
                            0
                            1. In fact, it’s even starting to completely degrade again!!! ???? I don’t understand anything!!
                              0
                              1. Moderator
                                RE_

                                Are you using? :

                                => Norton Online Backup
                                => Acronis True Image 2014
                                => iCloud


                                ------------------
                                -------------------------------------------------

                                Download CrystaldiskMARK, run the analysis and take a screenshot

                                --
                                Security contributor.
                                0
                                1. Yes, I have been frequently using Acronis True Image 2014 and iCloud for almost 10 years.
                                  However, I do not use Norton Online Backup, which was a software installed by default when I purchased the PC.
                                  0
                                  • 1
                                  • 2