WLMP format issue

Hello,

During a transfer from one hard drive to another, I found some videos that I had set aside. I had spent time editing them a few years ago on Windows Movie Maker.
The problem is that I didn't know anything about it, and they were left in WLMP format, so they are unreadable now. I couldn't find a solution back then, and it frustrated me so much that I set them aside, but it's a shame.
Does anyone have a solution so that I can watch them on VLC? I've already tried putting them back on Movie Maker, but I can't open them there either...

Thank you so much in advance, #eternal gratitude...

13 answers

  1. Hello,

    WLMP is not a video format. You need to export these files to WMV video files. Launch Windows Live Movie Maker, then click on "File -> Open project" to open one of your local WLMP project files. Click on "File" again, then go to "Save movie" > "Standard quality". Now, you have saved your WLMP file as a WMV video file. Then, you can use a converter to change the format if you wish.
    0
    1. Hehe, I felt it coming ^^, thank you for your reply. My concern is that I changed computers in the meantime, of course, and I don't have this software on this one obviously. Does it still exist? Where can I download it without getting any malware on my computer?
      A big thank you!
      0
      1. Moderator
        Another lead
        Try Format Factory.

        --
        "We gulp down the lie that flatters us and we sip, drop by drop, a truth that is bitter to us."
        0
        1. Great! Here I go, I'm on it. I'll keep you posted, thanks ;-)
          0
          1. The file D:\Montage\Année 2011.wlmp is not a supported file type and cannot be imported into Windows Movie Maker. :-(
            0
            1. In order for it to appear, I first have to select "all files" and not "WMM projects." Then I get an error message: the project is not a valid WMM project.
              0
              1. The same message for all files? The file may be corrupted.
                0
            2. Yes, and I have a good thirty of them like that :-(
              0
              1. Hello,

                Changing computers means that you won't be able to open the project (WLMP file) on a different computer than the one that created it, even with the same software.
                Indeed, the software remembers the location of the elements (photos, videos, music, and transitions/effects/text additions) making it up. However, on a new computer, the software cannot reconstruct the project since it can't find the path to all of this. Consequently, it won't be able to open it :(
                Moral of the story, you should always export your projects as a video file at least once.

                You can still try using the correct software (Windows Live Movie Maker and not Windows Movie Maker 2.6!) which you can download from this message: https://forums.commentcamarche.net/forum/affich-34518845-installation-de-movie-maker-sur-windows-10#1
                At best, the software might ask you to reallocate each element with its new location... you'll have to try to see if it works or not.

                Best regards
                PS: If you were on Windows 7, then you will need the WLMM 2009/2011 version; the one I’m offering here is the latest from 2012.
                0
                1. The download process of the file with the WLMP extension may have been interrupted, and the file data could be corrupted...
                  0
                  1. Ah okay. I don't like it, but at least I have a logical explanation for this mess. I didn't know anything back then, so that I didn't save it in the right format is nothing but a surprise... I'll try that! Thank you very much!
                    0
                    1. The problem is that the wlmp file is a "project". Simply saving this file is not enough. You also need to save the folders that contain the videos, photos, and audio files that were used to create this wlmp.
                      0
                      1. It's certain that if our friend didn't keep them, there is no chance of success.
                        0
                    2. Well, it was a good solution: I got the "framework," with the cuts, but not the images so indeed, I think it's a lost cause :-( a big thank you for trying!
                      0
                      1. Sorry for you :(
                        0