Fans

Solved
Good evening,

Is there anyone who could help me solve this problem?

I just installed my main OS GNU/Linux Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS on an iMac mid 2010 (following the death of my PC) and the fans are running at about 4500 RPM, which is really unpleasant. Otherwise, everything works wonderfully.

I performed the installation conventionally (without using BootCamp, simply by preparing a partition on the SSD); that is to say, I downloaded the distribution from the official site, checked the MD5 checksum, burned a DVD RW and booted the Mac from the DVD for the installation.

What you should know is that on this iMac, I installed (about 2 months ago) a Samsung SSD and that since Apple does things differently, I did not install the temperature sensor cable that is normally installed with the original HDD. A little clarification: with High Sierra, I have no fan or overheating issues.

To resolve my problem, I carefully followed this tutorial, but unfortunately it doesn't work.

I also did some research online, but nothing very convincing.

Thanks to anyone who could give me a hand.

--
Secure, save, hold, protect, master.
95% of computer problems are located between the keyboard and the chair.

3 answers

  1. Hello,
    First, check the effective temperature of the components: if it is high, it is normal for the fans to run at full speed.
    sudo apt install lm-sensors

    then in the terminal, type the command
    sensors
    0
    1. Hello,

      I'm starting now and my fan is running at 3000 RPM for a temperature of 32 to 36 degrees depending on the cores.
      0
    2. I’m not doing anything with my iMac and the SSD fan is now running at 3500 RPM for a temperature of 40 to 43 degrees.
      0
    3. 0
    4. Indeed, the recorded temperatures do not justify the fans' ramp-up...
      So now we are sure it's a software issue.
      Did you configure lm-sensors as indicated on this page in order to get maximum information on the default settings?
      https://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/lm-sensors?s=fancontrol#installation_et_configuration_de_lm-sensors

      Note about the tutorial: the following commands with fancontrol may no longer work with current versions of Ubuntu because services are now started by systemd.
      Starting a service: systemctl start service_name.service
      see: https://www.linuxtricks.fr/wiki/systemd-les-commandes-essentielles
      0
    5. @jns55I followed this tutorial to the letter, but indeed the commands are not 100% functional and it's not just for fancontrol.
      0
  2. Contributor
    hello
    check with the task manager or the top command in a terminal if a task is consuming 99% of the CPU
    0
    1. No problem on that side
      0
  3. Well, problem solved... I removed the IMac distribution and I'm virtualizing (ugh), In the meantime, I'll continue my web searches to attempt the adventure again soon... with up-to-date tutorials (I hope).

    Thanks to everyone

    --
    Secure, save, manage, protect, master.
    95% of computer problems are located between the keyboard and the chair.
    0