Problem with ARCHOS Gmini Xs 200

Hello, I have an ARCHOS gmini xs 200 MP3 player and I can't get it recognized by Windows XP. Obviously, I made a mistake... let me explain as clearly as possible: while I was reinstalling my operating system, I had my player plugged in at the same time. When I got to the partition formatting screen, I saw 2 drives of 20GB each and not remembering that I had connected the ARCHOS, I deleted the partitions from both drives thinking that I had a 40GB hard drive (I couldn't remember the size of the hard drive) partitioned... and now when I try to use it, I can't get it to work... it turns on, the PC recognizes the presence of a USB stick, but I can't access it... I'm desperate, does anyone have any advice??? Thank you in advance for your help.

15 answers

  1. No, I don't know about the firmware... will it allow me to keep the data? Or is it a kind of operating system that requires formatting the disk for installation?
    0
    1. I just looked up how to install the firmware but I can't even do it! My PC can't recognize the drive, so I can't access it, and I can't find any drivers that might help me achieve this...
      0
      1. Contributor
        Did you format it in NTFS or FAT32?
        For the Archos, it should be in FAT32.
        0
        1. I didn't format and I can't access the files. In fact, it was during the disk formatting screen when installing Windows that the problem occurred: I deleted the partition without formatting... As you said, I must be the only one this has happened to...
          0
        2. Contributor
          The only answers I can find to your problem are errors in formatting (NTFS instead of FAT32) or damaged system files, but you say the problem occurred at the formatting screen; you may need to completely format your Archos and reinstall all the system files. However, I would advise you to contact Hotmail by phone or email first.
          0
      2. Thank you everyone, it's really nice of you to help me solve this problem! I found the solution: I formatted the disk... I lost all my data but it's better than not being able to use it... anyway, thanks again to all!
        0
        1. Hi guys,

          same problem as Alexis, except I formatted in NTFS.
          I would like to know if there is a method to restore the components of the mp3...
          total mess, you know... :(
          0
          1. Hello,

            My Archos Gmini XS 202 has frozen, it no longer reacts and it won't turn off. The last consulted list is displayed on the screen.
            What should I do to get it working again, please??

            Thank you all
            0
            1. Hey,
              I personally have a problem with my XS 200, it won't stay on even when plugged into the mains, and it's not a battery issue. Let me explain:
              I hold down the button to turn it on, the menu appears. But when I release it, the player shuts down abruptly (the hard drive makes a "pfiuw" sound) and there's no way to keep it on except by holding the button down. The problem is that I can't do anything in that position...
              Is there something I might have changed? The issue just came up like that, after about a week of not using it.
              Otherwise, I can still transfer files to it via USB (still holding the power button down).
              I'm fed up, my warranty is expired so I don't want to send it back to Archos... Can you help me?

              Sorry if I can't respond to other people's problems... it seems this model causes a lot of issues for everyone... (XS200 is almost the same as XS202)
              -1
              1. Hello. I have an ARSHOS 404, my problem is as follows: I have been using my device regularly, but since today my PC cannot recognize it and all my work is on it. What should I do to recover my files without formatting my device? Thank you.
                0
                1. Hi, I have the same problem as you!!!
                  My G Mini XS 202 won't stay on!! I can't use it anymore... even if I keep my finger on the power button, the hard drive doesn't start...

                  Did you find a solution?

                  Thanks in advance.
                  0
                  1. No sorry, I didn’t find anything, mine is still in the same state... does the diode on yours light up? Does the hard drive make any noise?
                    I still don’t understand why mine doesn’t stay on...
                    0
                  2. Moreover, mine is so old that I no longer have the codes labeled on the back of the Gmini (they're all gone); however, you need these codes to get assistance from Archos on their site... It's impossible to get help on that front, and it's been almost a year that it's been in this state... So I can't do anything with it. I'm still trying to find a solution.
                    Ciaonar@+!
                    0
                  3. @dr1ver38Hi, I have exactly the same problem as you, I have to hold the power button for it to stay on. The issue isn’t related to long periods of non-use because it happened to me overnight.
                    I don’t know what to do… :s
                    0
                  4. Try copying all the data to your computer, then reformat it (even if you have to hold down the button during this time^^
                    After spending time on the forums, I realized that gminis seem to like being reformatted from time to time. I didn't always understand the connection with the initial problem, but it works quite well; at least for the issue I had, it worked!
                    Hoping it works for you too...
                    Good luck!
                    0
                2. Comment faire pour avoir des conseils sur l'utilisation de mon 605 ? Je n'y arrive pas (télé, Wifi).
                  0
                  1. I believe this g mini is causing problems for a lot of people!!!
                    I can no longer add files to my g mini xs 202, the only result I get is an error message saying that the location cannot be found! No way to copy/paste, and not even with synchronization! This has been going on for 15 days, and since this evening, "jukebox" is showing up in my computer, but that's it! As soon as I open the location, there's no way to access it! White screen!
                    So there you go! Not very practical at all!
                    I don't have an answer to help you! Sorry!
                    Good luck!!
                    If you have any idea how to solve this problem??? Thanks! ;)
                    0
                    1. Hi everyone

                      I have a big problem with my Gmini xs200 because the antivirus deleted its operating system
                      I can't turn it on or connect it to my PC
                      I haven't found anything on the Archos website
                      please help me thank you thank you thank you
                      0
                      1. Hello everyone
                        I have a Gmini XS 200 and I can't connect it to my PCs using XP and Windows 7
                        I get the message unknown device and error 43
                        Thank you for your help
                        0