Windows Update Issue

Hello,
I have a problem with Windows update; I can't install the updates for my computer. Every time I try, an error message comes back: code 80070BC9, and no installation...
Thank you in advance

PS: I am on Windows 7 Home Premium x64, and on a recent machine.

Configuration: Windows 7 / Safari 534.3

12 answers

  1. For the first error "access denied", you need to check

    in C:\Windows\system32\Catroot2

    right-click on Catroot2, Properties\Security Tab

    check what your permissions are.

    For the second one, it must be a space not respected in the command.

    And to simplify, then type these new commands instead of the

    previous ones:

    ren c:\windows\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2
    ren c:\windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    3
    1. Hello, I have the same problem regarding the security update for Windows 7 (KB2731847); I'm getting error code 80070BC9. I should mention that I have Windows 7 Starter Edition on an HP Mini (but I imagine that this last piece of information doesn't change much).

      So I tried to install it from Microsoft.com as indicated in a thread on Cçm, but it fails. I also tried in safe mode (both types) and it doesn't appear at all.

      What should I do, please?
      1
      1. First, I recommend trying to update in safe mode with networking (by pressing F8 at startup).

        Recently, I also had a case where the antivirus (Avast in this case) was preventing updates. If that still doesn't work, you can try downloading the updates after disabling the antivirus.
        0
        1. Hello,
          When I am in safe mode with network support, as you told me, the Windows update software doesn't start, even after clicking on it several times...
          0
          1. Did you do it in safe mode WITH networking support?

            You can follow this link:

            https://www.commentcamarche.net/faq/273-windows-update-toutes-versions

            It suggests checking for available updates for your machine directly on the site and downloading them manually. Always do this in safe mode with networking support.
            0
            1. You go to the control panel, then to system and security, then to windows update, and you start the automatic updates; always try.
              0
              1. I can't find the updates on the Windows site, which is really messed up...
                Can you help me?
                0
                1. Hello.

                  Updates cannot be made in safe mode

                  failure, because Windows Installer does not work in this

                  mode, it's a quirk of Microsoft, rather try

                  a repair, with these sites:

                  https://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-fix-windows-updates-with-fix-wu-utility

                  https://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/System-Tweak/Fix-WU.shtml#download

                  http://www.saunalahti.fi/~borg/fixwindowsupdate/downloads.html

                  If no result, do this:

                  Click on Start\All Programs\Accessories\

                  Right-click on Command Prompt

                  Click on Run as administrator

                  In the command prompt window, type all of this:
                  (pressing Enter after each command)

                  net stop wuauserv
                  net stop bits
                  ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2
                  ren % systemroot% \ SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
                  regsvr32 wuapi.dll
                  regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
                  regsvr32 wucltux.dll
                  regsvr32 wups2.dll
                  regsvr32 wups.dll
                  regsvr32 wuwebv.dll
                  net start bits
                  net start wuauserv


                  Restart.
                  0
                  1. Hi,
                    On ren %systemroot%\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2 I have "access denied" and on
                    ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old I have "the command syntax is incorrect".
                    What should I do?
                    0
                    1. I would like to point out that the little software did not work.
                      0
                      1. Good evening,
                        Missed it, the command ren c:\windows\System32\Catroot2 oldcatroot2 still gives me access denied, I've done everything else anyway, I'm restarting Windows Update, and still the same error code, "code 80070BC9"
                        Thank you in advance
                        0
                        1. Hello,
                          Today I managed to install several updates that were released yesterday by Microsoft, so the problem shouldn't be with Windows Update. However, now after searching, the computer tells me that there are 3 updates to be done, but does not display them. When I try to start the installation, I always encounter the same problem...
                          Thank you in advance.
                          0