[THUNDERBIRD] SET UP ALICE ADSL

Hello everyone!

I am new and I need your help.
Here I have Windows XP, IE 6.0, and Thunderbird 1.5
I have configured TB correctly (incoming and outgoing server) but I can only send emails.
For receiving, I get this message: "password sending failed. The mail server pop.aliceadsl.fr responded: invalid user or password"
I don't know where the issue lies... I have checked several forums without finding any solutions...
Thank you for your help!

15 answers

  1. At my place too, it was stuck at the password level, but the problem doesn't come from the password. In the "username" field, you need to put "exemple21@aliceadsl.fr" and not just "exemple21" as other address providers require.
    11
    1. Great, it's working!
      Good solution!
      The issue with incoming emails appeared roughly at the same time as I transferred (or reconfigured) these terminals following the merger with Free.
      I also have the same problem with Outlook, which still doesn't work with incoming emails.

      Thank you
      0
    2. SUPER THANK YOU!!!!!!

      It works at my place too!!
      0
  2. For the % instead of @, I don't understand, but it's a good thing if it works...

    Here's what I had to check on my end, and since then it works
    (I didn't need to delete and recreate the account)

    Server settings:

    Server name: pop.aliceadsl.fr
    (even if the address is @freesbee.fr or @tiscali.fr or...)
    Username: name@server.fr
    (name: your email address identifier)
    (server: tiscali, freesbee, aliceadsl etc.)

    Port: 110

    Connection security: none

    Authentication method: Password, unencrypted transmission
    2
    1. Hi!
      There’s a password error on your alice account. Delete this account from your TB and reconfigure it.
      Be careful, remember to back up your emails and addresses!!!

      See here:
      Using and configuring Mozilla Thunderbird: https://forums.cnetfrance.fr
      --
      *** Ugh, not easy at all!!! ***
      1
      1. Bonjour, j'ai installé Thunderbird mais je ne peux pas recevoir de message car il me demande mon mot de passe POP aliceadsl.fr et je n'ai pas ce mot de passe. Que faut-il faire ?
        1
        1. Hi
          He's asking you for your email password. This password is on the papers that Alice sent you when you subscribed to your offer.
          --
          /!\ (`'-•-.¸xXx¸.-•-'´) /!\
          0
        2. Hello Kerkouche,
          I followed the forum and wanted to ask you if, FINALLY, you managed to enter the famous
          PASSWORDS (normally provided by the ISPs)?

          We are indeed talking about PASSWORDS and not the POP or SMTP configuration (which I managed to do without any problem)

          I can't enter the passwords either!! And the brave "forumers" only provide solutions for POP and SMTP, but that’s not the issue.
          TB asks for the passwords... so for those who know, please share the solution to the problem.
          Thank you, thank you, and please read the question carefully.
          I am at my wit's end!
          SOS
          0
      2. Thank you for your information because I can finally receive my emails on Thunderbird!!!
        1
        1. thank you 3x

          so I deleted my account and recreated it and reconfigured it!

          at the end of the creation assistant, TB connects to the pop server but I still get the same error message!!!
          and under no circumstances do I enter a password!!!
          weird!!

          since I don't know anything about computers ... it's quite a hassle!!!

          what do I do now?

          thank you in advance
          0
          1. Has Fleurdelys57 finally received an answer to her question?
            I'm also interested because I can't get my PASSWORD to WORK!
            It's a total nightmare, I've tried a hundred times! I use these passwords to access my ISPs' webmail, so they are correct. But TB doesn't seem to "accept" them???

            Thank you for your reply, just in case... there must be a "trick" known only to the initiated!!
            0
        2. Well, normally, TB is going to retrieve the email from Alice.
          So, to do this, it will read from its configuration (the place where you create email accounts), then look for your Alice account.
          But, to log in and access the Alice mailbox, TB needs your Alice address and your email password. You have to provide this information when setting up a new email account on TB.
          --
          *** Pfff, not easy at all!!! ***
          0
          1. First of all, thank you for your response 3x!
            But as I mentioned earlier, I did indeed enter my Alice address, but in no case my email password...

            However, when I went to TB, I looked in:
            tools/options/privacy/passwords/view passwords/
            I have:
            server: mail box:/bidule%25aliceadsl@pop.aliceadsl.fr
            username: a mix of names with numbers and %
            is the server correct? I find the 25 in the mailbox strange?

            So that's where I am right now...
            What should I do now? pfff, IT is tough! (just another thing invented by guys for guys, hi hi!!)

            Looking forward to hearing from you.
            0
            1. I just succeeded and I used my address for every field to fill in (except POP and SMTP) with % instead of @

              Example:
              username: jean.dupont%aliceadsl.fr
              email address: jean.dupont%aliceadsl.fr
              reply address: jean.dupont%aliceadsl.fr

              on pop.aliceadsl.fr port: 110

              Well, I hope it works for you. Good luck.
              0
              1. And if it works, let me know, because I'm in the same mess!! My passwords... aren't working, and yet they are the ones provided by my ISPs!
                0
                1. I configured it as instructed and it works, I receive my emails BUT I can't reply to them from Thunderbird?????????
                  0
                  1. same problem for me
                    0
                  2. @jcrinIn fact, once you can retrieve emails from Alice, there is a small adjustment to make! You need to go to "Tools", "Account Settings", in the left column go to "Outgoing SMTP server". On the right side next to the table, click on "Add". In the description, put "SMTP Alice", for the server name put "smtp.aliceadsl.fr" and click on OK. Then, still in the account settings (Tools - Account Settings), click on the aliceadsl account name in the left column. On the line "Outgoing SMTP server", drop down the menu to find "SMTP Alice", one last click on "OK" and there you go!!!
                    To summarize, the Pop is used as the incoming server and the SMTP as the outgoing server. I hope I’ve helped!
                    0
                2. Actually Dario, no it didn't help me at all because these are the settings I already had on Thunderbird and with which I can't send any mail.

                  BUT thanks to another site I understood why Alice, as an internet and email service provider, restricts certain users. If I'm with Alice (internet service provider) and I use their email, the settings you gave me are correct, however, if I'm not with Alice internet provider (which is my case, I'm with Free), it doesn't work. I had to set Free as SMTP.

                  Attention: changes are only taken into account if you close Thunderbird after modification and then reopen it... and then it works, normally

                  Attention2: it's better to choose a secure connection like TSL otherwise the messages you send might be seen as spam.
                  0
                  1. Seth, if you're still following the discussion (which I doubt given the date, but it would help me a lot!): could you share the link to the site that helped you solve the problem?

                    My issue is that I'm using Alice as my ISP (so I have to use Alice's SMTP) but I don't have an Alice email account, as the account belongs to my neighbor (shared connection due to a mistake by Alice, who unbundled the wrong line). I feel awkward asking him for his username and password. Therefore, I can't send emails (but I have no problems receiving them).
                    0
                    1. Liz, you shouldn't hack your neighbors' Wi-Fi connection ;) lol
                      0