Impossible sorting excel

Solved
Hello,
I cannot sort a spreadsheet in Excel because I have merged cells in certain rows and in different columns. The message is:
"this operation requires merged cells to be of the same size"
How can I avoid having to retype my entire table, which is quite large?
And without having to change this formatting?
Thank you in advance
Configuration: Windows XP Firefox 3.5.6

4 answers

  1. I managed to do it:

    1. Copy and paste everything into TextEdit (I have a Mac - try WordPad on PC?)
    2. Copy and paste everything into OpenOffice spreadsheet.
    1
    1. Contributor
      1) jf works on Excel, not on Open.

      2) You "forgot" to explain when and how you carry out your sorting!
      0
    2. Sorry, I indeed posted a bit hastily before double-checking.
      I was trying to sort a document that had blank lines horizontally. The sort wasn't working, and when I selected everything, I got the message from this thread: "this operation requires merged cells to be the same size".
      Actually, all I needed to do was delete the blank lines for the sort to work again. Maybe there were merged cells in the blank lines, but I don't think so; I checked carefully.
      There you go, if this can help someone who encounters this message, that's great.
      0
    3. For my part, I deleted the blank lines, then I went to "format" "cell" and unchecked the "merge cells" box. Just to be sure, I also centered everything... and it worked!
      0
    4. Thank you!
      It's 2014 and the problem is still relevant... Personally, I selected all the cells in the rows I needed to sort, unchecked "merge cells" in "Cell Format," I didn't center them, and I didn't have any blank rows. It worked. Great, so thanks again to those who take the time to help others.
      0