Excel, sort alphabetically?

Solved
Hello

I'm presenting my little problem.

I created a directory in Excel containing all my friends' phone numbers and other useful services.

I simply made 2 columns, one on the left with the contact's first and last name and one on the right where I put the corresponding phone number.

So far, so good, but the little problem is that as I add more, they are not sorted alphabetically.

That is to say, if I add a number right away whose name starts with an "A", it will simply be placed at the end. They are therefore sorted by "date" of addition, which is not very practical when the list starts to get a bit long, as everything is mixed up.

Is there a way to sort them alphabetically automatically as I add contacts?

Thank you in advance

Thierry


Configuration: Windows XP
Internet Explorer 8.0

2 answers

  1. You just need to sort the data by the column where the names are (A?).
    161
    1. Thank you for your feedback; it was very helpful for my work.
      0
    2. Thank you very much!
      0
    3. Good evening
      thank you for your help.
      hello
      0
    4. Hello HOMBOURGEOIS.
      First of all, thank you for your explanations.

      As far as I'm concerned, I'm on a Mac and it works to freeze the row of column titles (in normal view for "Office for Mac 2008").
      Thank you :-)
      I managed to sort them alphabetically when I put 1, 2, 3, 4 in the second column for testing purposes.

      For my part, I'm trying to create a bibliography: a database of books already purchased and those that are missing:
      1°) I entered the author's name
      2°) The book title
      3°) The publisher's name
      and it tells me that it can only sort non-merged cells (of the same size)?
      Yet, I haven't merged any cells!

      Of course, since the titles are longer, there is one cell that is larger in terms of bytes?
      Does the system consider the cell based on its format or the number of characters it contains?
      There must be something I'm missing?
      Do you have any tips????

      Thank you for your answers.
      0
    5. Contributor
      @TONIIf the software is indicating it to you, it means there are indeed at least 2 merged cells in your sorting range!
      Once you send your file, we will be able to tell you exactly where they are...
      0