Error code 39

Solved
Hello everyone,
after installing a new DVD burner, and a bad manipulation (driver deletion), I have an error code 39 (Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. This driver may be damaged or missing. (Code 39)
Do I need to reinstall XP, because the ones I downloaded from the DVD do not work? The problem is I don't have XP, it was already installed and anyway I can't use my drive, same error.
Thank you in advance for your help
Happy holidays

158 answers

  1. Sure! Here is the procedure, I did it yesterday and magically found my CD reader and burner again, it's actually a bug in CD Creator that adds files...

    You can start by backing up your registry just in case your problem isn't resolved (I didn't do it but oh well):

    Start
    Run
    type "regedit"
    Ok

    File
    Export
    File name: registry_copy
    at the bottom: Export range click on "All"

    Close the registry

    Open the registry

    Start
    Run
    type "regedit"
    Ok

    Completely delete the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values from the following Registry key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

    Restart the computer.

    There you go.

    Bye
    1. Great, thanks for the solution to this problem. I was tearing my hair out behind my screen.
      Awesome.
    2. Hello Frédérick,

      I spent nearly a week trying to understand how my Windows XP could have corrupted the supposed drivers of my burner and CD drive without success. Until I found this website on the internet with your registry manipulation. After reading the responses from others who also succeeded by following your procedure, I decided to proceed in the same way. After rebooting my computer, as if by magic, my drives reappeared in My Computer. I ran some tests, and everything is working great. A huge thank you for your valuable help.

      Daniel.
    3. Thank you, Fred,

      I've been struggling for two days to get my readers back, thanks for the tip.

      Greg
    4. Hi, I have the same problem as you, I tried your solution, the issue is that when I type "regedit" in run a window opens telling me "this file is being used by another application"

      can you help me
      thank you in advance
    5. Thank you very much.
  2. Hi Bernie,

    I have the same problem as you and I'm stuck, I've gone through all the FAQs but nothing. I wanted to format my C drive but since my CD drive isn't working... If you have the solution, can you help me?

    Thank you very much.
    1. I've got it, I found it.
    2. Hello, if you can give me the solution
      Thank you in advance
    3. @bernieYou need to reinstall XP and you will no longer have this code 39 problem.
      Regards,
      Martial
    4. Thank you to Frederic who helped me rule out the idea of replacing the faulty DVD burner... Two registry keys deleted and my burner is working again! Thank you also to this nice forum.
    5. Thank you very much for your help.
      I'm not very skilled in computers and by following your step-by-step guide (very clear), I was also able to solve this problem on Vista.
  3. I had the same issue. I called the support for my machine (Travelmate 8002 LCI), and they advised me to reinstall the machine, losing all my data...

    I tried your method, and it works perfectly! No need to reinstall...

    Thank you very much.
    1. Well, hats off... I struggled for two days (I had the same problem) and there,... after this tip it's working, I tried everything reinstalling XP without formatting, copying drivers, regenerating the inf directory, etc.

      ;)

      Thank you very much :)
      1. Bonjour, j'ai un câble pour connecter mon portable. Il me donne un code 39 à la fin, alors que d'autres personnes l'ont installé et il fonctionne. Que dois-je faire ?
        1. Hello
          I have the same problem as djaeron
          I can't install my Sony v600i phone with WXP
          When I go through adding new hardware, my PC finds it in the recently connected devices but then I get an error code 39.
          1. THANKS a thousand times luckily there are good guys on these forums you take a thorn out of my foot

            see you later
            1. Hi, I have the same problem as you, I tried your solution, the problem is that when I type "regedit" in Run a window opens telling me "this file is used by another application"

              can you help me
              thanks in advance
              1. Well, I can't see, do you have Windows XP?
              2. @fredYes, I have Windows XP but can't reinstall since the CD-ROM drive is not working.

                Which software could use this file?
            2. have you tried typing something other than regedit, for example msconfig?
              1. Security Contributor
                Hello,

                At the same time as you answer Fred's (good) question, could you clarify in what circumstances you lost the use of the CD player? (the same apparent issue, with 2 different causes, may imply two different solutions).
                See you later
                --
                It's written 10 + 10 = 100 and it's stated two plus two equals four.
                1. Hello,
                  I also have the prob with code 39.
                  I can't always manage to resolve it.
                  I run-export the file-
                  after I can't find the bottom...everything????
                  help me because this equipment is for audio.
                  1. start
                    run
                    regedit
                    file
                    export

                    a window opens and at the bottom of this window it says:

                    "Export range" and you click on All
                    1. Hello everyone, I also have the same problem and when I try to delete 4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318 it won't let me delete it, it says impossible to delete, error when deleting the key.

                      What should I do?
                      Thank you.
                      1. Thank you a thousand billion times... I've been working on this problem since this morning, with complicated answers involving the download of elusive drivers, etc., I've tried everything. I didn't even believe it anymore and I saw myself reinstalling everything without a drive or external hard drive to back up my files. And then, a little tweak and it works. Hats off!
                        1. Salut, j'ai eu le même problème que vous et je fais ce que Frédéric a dit, et ça marche (enfin je n'ai pu qu'effacer LowerFilters car l'autre fichier n'y était pas, donc pas supprimé) sauf que maintenant mon lecteur Windows Media ne le détecte plus pour graver alors s'il te plaît aide-moi.
                          1. Hi, I have the same problem as all of you, and I did what Frederic suggested but it hasn't changed anything for me. I need your help.
                            1. So I have a problem where my computer responds with an error code 39
                              I've had my computer for 5 years and until now there has been no issue with the disk reader and burner until this morning..
                              The disk reader works but the computer does not recognize CDs..
                              I went to the device manager and saw the icons for my CD and DVD drives with a yellow exclamation point in front..
                              I checked what was wrong and it told me there was a problem with the drivers..
                              Should I make the changes noted above or is there a simpler solution???
                              I really need help
                              thanks!!
                              1. VISTA: same problem under VISTA. I lost 4 hours! The Registry solution with the Lower and Upper filters values works perfectly

                                A thousand thanks to this forum!

                                THomas G.
                                1. Hello, I have the same problem on Vista and I can't find the "run" command when I'm on "start". How do you do it on Vista? Thank you for your help.
                                2. @maxYou type "execute" in the search engine, in the right window that unfolds when you click on the start button.. There you go.
                                3. Thank you very much
                              2. Hi,
                                same problem for 24 hours... same reaction (pulling your hair out? burning the computer?)... and same pleasure in discovering that a solution exists !!
                                I propose we erect a statue to Frédéric or anyone who managed to get us out of this bind!
                                Have a good day.
                                1. Salut, pourrais-tu m'expliquer comment faire pour résoudre le problème de code d'erreur ? Je n'y comprends rien du tout. Je te remercie bien à l'avance, je suis désespéré. Merci.
                                2. @omlove13Hello,
                                  I have HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
                                  but I didn't find any Upperfilters or Lowerfilters files. Is there a solution? I still have code 39 after installing network cards under XP SP2.
                                3. @hacil0Hi hacil0

                                  you have error code 39 for your CD/DVD drive or your network adapter(s)?
                                4. @mickael@Hello,
                                  what praise between Frédéric and Mickael!
                                  Still, I have tried all your suggested methods without any results to my great despair! In my case, it is about the installation of my Philips SPC530NC webcam, everything installs except for the imaging device where error code 39 appears. I have tried reinstalling and uninstalling, but it hasn't worked.
                                  Thank you in advance.
                                5. I just did the miraculous trick on a Windows 7 SP1 32-bit and it worked perfectly!! 10,000 thanks...
                              3. I had the same problem, I started to get anxious, then I typed the error message on Google and it took me to this site and there I came across Frédéric, I did what he said and.....IT WORKS, thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                                • 1
                                • 2
                                • 3
                                • 4
                                • 5
                                • 6
                                • 7
                                • 8