Invisible external drive

Solved
Hello,

My external drive is invisible.
I can't see it when I plug it in.
It makes a sound when connecting and disconnecting the device.
I went to disk management and I can't see it... It was called "G".
I have this window that pops up when I open disk management, but I'm hesitant to do anything as I don't have the knowledge beyond that!
I'm attaching this window!
It's probably an irrecoverable external drive, but I hope I'm wrong!!!
Is there a way to try to recover it or to recover its content?

Thank you very much for your help.

Have a nice day.

11 answers

  1. Contributor
    Hello
    the disk management window is not full
    move the vertical scroll bar down on the right
    take a screenshot

    --
    If my answer helped you, click the Thank you button.
    0
    1. Hello,

      Thank you very much, I'm doing it again!!!

      Thanks.

      0
    2. @saintaise17I just made it more readable I think

      0
  2. Contributor
    Indeed, it is not recognized
    external disk connected
    check the disk with "CrystalDiskInfo"
    it's software that allows the user to know the status of their hard drive.
    The status should be blue; otherwise, it's not a good sign.
    click here
    You also have "Hard Disk Sentinel" which provides more detailed results on the number of deteriorated sectors and the percentage of defects in the HDD/SSD. Download it here

    0
    1. Thank you jfmimi, I'm going to try and results to come!
      0
      1. Here, if I've seen correctly, it should be good??? It's the last page because I saw the arrow to advance and I had 3 that are identical
        I didn't know, thank you very much for your help.

        I'm attaching the screenshot, so the last page for your verdict!

        0
      2. @saintaise17My external drive is good just in case!
        I had it connected properly!
        Sorry, but I'm innovating and I thank you for that!
        0
      3. Contributor
        @saintaise17Yes, it is well recognized and OK, but no drive letter assigned (disk2)
        try with "Aomei " Download it here
        provide a screenshot
        0
    2. Here is what I have with what you told me

      0
      1. Your space is unallocated. Right-click and there should be something like "new volume."
        0
    3. Thank you Seb,

      I did a right click but nothing changes.
      I took the opportunity to go to properties. Nothing changes!

      Thanks for your help.

      0
      1. What options do you have when you right-click?
        0
      2. Contributor
        when you right-click on the partition (unallocated) a menu opens
        choose " create partition " then to confirm the command click in the top left on " apply "
        0
    4. jfmimi

      I think I did it wrong?
      I selected "create partition" and I had OK so I clicked on OK
      And I no longer see disk 3

      So is this normal?

      Thank you for your patience!
      0
      1. Contributor
        to confirm the order click on " apply "
        as long as you do not click on " apply " nothing happens
        0
      2. @jfmimiYou are awesome, thanks again.
        I found the disk: partition created OK, validated and named G like before
        Now I have a "run" window, I think I have to run with it!
        This is the path to follow... for the moment
        0
      3. @saintaise17Bad luck: the message at the end of the execution:

        Sorry, the ongoing operation has been cancelled!
        Error code: 202
        Description: Failed to format NTFS due to too many bad clusters.
        What does the code information mean? Please refer to: https://www.diskpart.com/fr/help/errorcode.html

        Thank you for today for taking so much of your time!

        Have a good evening.
        0
      4. @saintaise17try to perform a surface test of the disk just in case
        0
      5. Contributor
        @saintaise17According to the message, you have damaged clusters
        as Seb77150 said, run a surface test
        be careful, it takes a long time
        0
    5. Hello jfmimi,

      I started well with "ESAEUS" but I felt like it would take... 2 or 3 days!
      So I stopped at 0.01% after almost 2 hours! and also saw a number of errors but for me, I don't know what they refer to!

      So here's my report jfmimi.

      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      Hello Seb,

      I did try diskpart but it's complicated for me: where do we type it? type "powershell diskpart" and do we need to add in the middle of those 2 words the list with the "-" in front of the choices between I suppose those 2 words? I wasn't able to get to that state!

      I'm sorry!

      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Thank you jfmimi and Seb for your help.

      Have a nice day especially.
      0
      1. No worries, I'll explain myself a bit better. Type "powershell" in the search bar, then enter "diskpart" in PowerShell. A second window will open, so you can close the old one and enter the commands I provided in the new page.
        0
      2. Contributor
        we will try with Diskpart
        Press the "Windows+X" keys
        then "A"
        in the window that opens, type Diskpart
        then list disk
        see example


        provide screenshot
        0
      3. @jfmimiHere it is!

        It's true that I took a long time, but I have a result!

        So, a copy (I didn't forget to connect my external drive)

        Thanks for the example because I copied a bit from it and it helped me a lot!
        0
      4. Contributor
        @saintaise17Okay, to make sure about the right disk (I think it’s disk 2)
        do the process again without the external disk connected, then with it, and tell me the number of the external disk
        (since all three have the same capacity)
        because we can't afford to make a mistake, no room for error!!
        0
      5. @jfmimiThank you jfmimi,

        Here it is, and therefore without the external one plugged in, so no room for error for me either!

        Have a nice evening!
        0
    6. I hope I did it right
      capture below
      0
      1. Contributor
        have you validated with " enter " the command " clean "
        because you should have a message afterwards
        0
    7. 0
      1. Je suis désolé, mais je ne peux pas accéder aux commentaires ou à des instructions spécifiques. Je suis ici pour vous aider avec des traductions. Veuillez fournir le texte que vous souhaitez traduire.
        0
      2. Contributor
        type create partition primary
        give screenshot
        0
      3. @jfmimiI typed
        - diskpart
        - create partition primary

        maybe other commands? I don't see a bad disk: !
        0
      4. Contributor
        @saintaise17type select disk 2
        type create partition primary
        screenshot
        0
    8. Thank you,

      Do I see an error? Is it coming from me?

      0
      1. Contributor
        unfortunately the disk does have a problem it's impossible to create a partition
        I'm afraid it will have to be replaced
        0
    9. Hello jfmim,

      Thank you very much for helping me, as you said, I will change it!

      “For your information, I had before a good bad surprise because while trying to type primary I read proûary when re-reading my work and was happy to see the continuation but I did not mention it, I’m informing you if it can help you too, as I was surprised to have a continuation with a wrong name!

      Thanks again for everything, you did what you could and I innovated!

      I wish you a good day.
      0