Problem installing WoW

Solved
Hello, as the title suggests, I'm having a problem installing World of Warcraft: I downloaded it with Blizzard downloader, and when I try to install it, it hangs at about 10% when installing terrain.MPQ. I do have all the minimum and recommended specs. I then thought that the problem might be due to an outdated version of DirectX, so I ran the installer provided with the game, but it didn't work. I then went to Microsoft's website, downloaded the installer, and when I launched it, I got the same error message: (which is something like:) <<has not been validated during the test to obtain the Windows logo and verify its compatibility with Windows XP>>
I have Windows XP.
Thanks in advance.

78 answers

  1. I'm encountering the same issue, and no matter how much I try to install in safe mode, the installation still doesn't go through... Oo.
    For your information, I have a configuration that shouldn't have any problems with the working drivers...
    7
    1. comment on fait pour installer Warcraft
      0
    2. À mon avis, il faut installer WinRAR et tout ira bien.
      0
    3. When I click on wow, it tells me failed to open archive interface .MPQ. What is the problem, please?
      0
  2. The worst part is that I'm sure I downloaded the right DirectX (the one for XP).
    -1
    1. a yes no
      0
  3. Hello, you can tell him to keep going anyway...

    --
    The TeebObeeT in pajamas
    -3
    1. I don't understand what you mean by that, because I can't continue the installation for either WoW or DirectX.
      5
      1. I have the same issue, a response would really be welcome.
        -2
        1. Slow solution, but it definitely works: restart your Windows in safe mode (F8 at boot for Windows XP), then install the game in safe mode. It's ultra long, but it works without crashing for once!
          5
          1. I hate waiting T_T lol
            0
          2. more information please
            0
          3. Is there still someone on the subject please? :p
            0
        2. Same here, I have the same problem and I've tried everything. I've reinstalled Windows in safe mode, all the tricks that Blizzard mentions for installation on the forum, nothing works, even though the beta version was fine. I don't get it...

          Additionally, the installation crashes not always at the same spot, it's too weird, sometimes at 200 MB, sometimes at 450 MB.

          If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.
          -1
          1. Well, I just called the technical service and they don't have a solution, well, they do have a bit of a half-baked solution that seems to work:

            Find a friend who managed to install WOW and copy the directory

            Delete the folders wts, wdb, and interface and launch the game, apparently it works, I'm trying this method right now

            Good luck to everyone.
            0
          2. Hi, I have this problem since I formatted my PC!! It freezes as soon as it tries to install terrain.mpq. However, my dad also has a PC where the installation works; does the trick of moving the directory to my PC really work??! Thanks for getting back to me as soon as possible...
            See you soon in-game
            0
          3. @Seb le crabeThank you for your solution
            it WORKS

            I advise everyone to invest in a USB stick or 2 and apply Seb the Crab's solution
            it's not too long, about 45 minutes with a 4GB USB stick (mandatory given the size of certain files) and a 2GB one and 2 USB ports

            thanks again
            0
        3. I also had the same problem ... I took out my old CD-ROM drive and there you go, it worked ... good luck to everyone and have fun playing
          -1
          1. Hi, I have the same problem as you, it crashes and tells me that I don’t have enough hard drive space even though there are 14G!!! Did you find a solution??? It crashes either on disk 1, 2, or 3 and sometimes 4... HELP ME PLEASE
            -1
            1. I found the solution, finally it works for me.
              I also had problems, it was stuck on terrain.MPQ and actually it was the RAM that was faulty, so I removed one RAM stick and it worked perfectly!
              Well, it takes a little more time, but it's okay. However, don’t put the sticks back before doing the two updates, otherwise it crashed for me. But the problem for me is that with my RAM, even in the game now it gets stuck, so I'm forced to play with 256 :s
              -1
              1. I have the same problem, except that I have already been able to play from this computer (I had to reformat).
                Does anyone know of a way other than removing all the RAM, because I don't know anyone who plays WoW...
                -1
                1. Hello

                  Just wanted to say that the "Safe Mode" worked for me. The installation is long, but it works. (About 1.5 hours). Thanks for the tip, and good luck to those who are having problems with the installation of WOW.
                  -1
                  1. So here's how I managed to bypass the installation of terrain.mpq: I launched the installer in Windows 98 compatibility mode and disabled visual themes... that's it! Try it, it might work!
                    -2
                    1. Edit: it was in Windows 95 mode but I don't know if it will make a difference.
                      -1
                      1. Incredible!

                        I had the same problem with my setup:
                        AMD 3000+
                        2x512 DDR400 RAM (dual)
                        160 S-ATA HD

                        I got stuck on terrain.mpq and in safe mode it went a bit further but still froze anyway.

                        So I removed one stick of RAM and restarted my installation in safe mode.

                        And now, no more problems!

                        Thanks to everyone and good luck to the others ^-^
                        -1
                        1. Well, I also have a problem with the installation of WOW; it accepts the first two CDs, but as soon as I reach the third one, my PC reboots, so I can't do anything. I've cleaned the CDs, updated my motherboard, and my graphics card as well.

                          So I'm lost because I can't do anything at all.

                          Thank you for your help.
                          -1
                          1. Help please !!

                            I can't install the 1.7.0 patch regarding the opening of the Arathi Basin and others...
                            The update gets stuck at 68% and shows me: This patch upgrades World of Warcraft from version 1.1.2.4125 to version 1.7.0.4671.

                            ERROR: unable to apply patch to file 'World\Maps\Azeroth\Azeroth_35_49.adt'

                            RESULT: update failed


                            Could someone please help me ;) thanks
                            -1
                            1. I had the same problem with the installation of patch 1.7
                              The installation of the patch got stuck on a file azeroth 29 54 or something like that.
                              I restarted the installation, it "overwrote" the file that was blocking without any problem, continued, and got stuck further along...
                              So I restarted....... and so on several times until it finally worked... pffff...

                              I'm not even going to mention the reinstallation of the game where it also got stuck (like everyone else terrain.mpq).

                              And this morning, patch 1.8 STUCK AGAIN and there's no way to overwrite this time!!!
                              0
                            2. Hello everyone, who can help me? My computer is trying to install WoW and it shows me (Adobe Reader could not open WoW because the file type is not supported or the file is damaged. It was sent as an attachment and was not decoded correctly, for example). Could you please help me? Thank you very much in advance.
                              0
                          2. For the Wowiens, following various installations and planting mishaps, I noticed something quite strange, but for a game like Wow, nothing is illogical... :-p

                            The installation goes very well on my PC and not on my friend's, so the configuration is almost identical to mine. The only difference is that I did it with a simple CD burner, which is not a DVD at all. Since WOW players generally have powerful machines, I suggest trying with basic equipment... maybe it's the laser beam that can't recognize the CD burning!!
                            I hope this helps you, and have fun... ;-)
                            -1
                            1. Honestly, the best solution is of course copying from another PC... Personally, I've had WoW for several months and I'm quite particular about the performance of my PC...
                              I format it once a month and never bother reinstalling WoW...

                              I simply copy it to my portable hard drive... or onto 2 DVDs, that works too... Nothing to add... No .Dll... no profiles, nothing... Since no information about your account is stored in the game's directory...

                              I actually advise all players to back up their games...
                              The personal interface and addons are backed up as well :))
                              Have fun, everyone...

                              Olfinne on "Archimonde"...
                              0
                              1. Here is the translation: Here it is, my problem is that I had already installed World of Warcraft on my computer for the 10-day guest pass. The pass expired, I bought the game, I uninstalled the previous version, I defragmented my hard drive, and I launched it (in the box there are 5 CDs, not 4 like the one my friend lent me). After the 3rd CD the installation stops and I get told "Patch Data is bad" with some numbers next to it. I think it's a small bug, I go on the game’s website, I check the forum and I do everything Blizzard advises (Temp files, disconnecting from the internet and the antivirus, restarting in safe mode, copying the CDs to the computer, restarting again and again...) but nothing works: "Patch Data is bad" again and again but in different places (I even got to the 5th CD!!!, but also to the 1st)
                                So I decide to borrow the game that my friend had previously lent me (which has 4 CDs) and there, my drive stops "looking" at Terrain.MPQ (I let it search for 1 hour at that spot before stopping, which means about 5%...)

                                I don’t think it’s the drive that’s failing since I just tried everything again with a new one...

                                Maybe it’s some remnants of old updates that are "perturbing" my computer...

                                Can someone please respond to me?

                                Thanks in advance.
                                -2
                                • 1
                                • 2
                                • 3
                                • 4