AMule
Solved
Hello,
Configuration: Linux / Firefox 88.0
I can't install aMule. A few months ago, a simple sudo apt-get install aMule was enough, if I remember correctly.
I've tried through Synaptic, via command line, and as many more or less unconventional methods as I can count, nothing works.
The packages are either not found, or unsigned, or the procedure just doesn't work at all.
Hence my question: is aMule software still maintained???
If not, is there a valid eD2k compatible equivalent?
(I really don't like software like bitTorrent)
I don't even dare to ask for a valid procedure for aMule, it feels like a mission impossible (or maybe I should stop using Linux and go back to Windows, I was actually getting along better)
Thanks in advance.
Configuration: Linux / Firefox 88.0
I can't install aMule. A few months ago, a simple sudo apt-get install aMule was enough, if I remember correctly.
I've tried through Synaptic, via command line, and as many more or less unconventional methods as I can count, nothing works.
The packages are either not found, or unsigned, or the procedure just doesn't work at all.
Hence my question: is aMule software still maintained???
If not, is there a valid eD2k compatible equivalent?
(I really don't like software like bitTorrent)
I don't even dare to ask for a valid procedure for aMule, it feels like a mission impossible (or maybe I should stop using Linux and go back to Windows, I was actually getting along better)
Thanks in advance.
8 answers
-
I'm sorry, I hadn't seen the last line of your message.
With Groovy it works perfectly, I was able to install aMule without any problems; thank you very much for your patience with me!
I love learning, but I feel like I get discouraged too quickly at the moment. Learning Linux is much more exciting than Windows, it just takes a lot of time. If you know of a site (like a wiki for example, even in English) to help me relearn the basics that would be cool.
I also regret that some tutorials are either outdated (some are from 2005!) while others are not up to date. I still believe that Linux evolves a bit too quickly for me; I mainly need to adapt to it.
That said, when I talk about impatience, I'm hard on myself especially since I spend a lot of time solving problems.
But fortunately, sometimes there are kind people who give their time on this kind of forum.
So all my gratitude to you!-
ModeratorSorry, I didn't see the last line of your message.
It's possible that you checked it while I was modifying it, so don't worry about it :-)
With Groovy it's working great, I was able to install aMule without any problems; thank you very much for your patience with me!
I love learning, but I feel like I get discouraged too quickly right now. Learning Linux is much more exciting than Windows, it just takes a lot of time. If you know of a site (a wiki, for example, even in English) to help me relearn the basics that would be cool.
I think two things are important in this story. First, you solved your problem, that was the goal. Second, and more importantly, you must have learned a lot: you probably now understand better the causes of the problems you faced, why I proposed those solutions, and why they addressed the issue.
In this discussion, what I think is important to remember is:- installing / updating / removing software is about managing packages (via
apt
on Ubuntu); - the site https://packages.ubuntu.com/ allows you to see which packages are available for which version of Ubuntu
- the available packages directly result from the repositories configured in
/etc/apt/sources.list
, which includes:- the addresses of the mirrors
- the enabled repositories (notably
universe
andmultiverse
) - the version (release) of Ubuntu you are using (in your case,
groovy
for a short time)
- packages must be signed by trusted third parties to avoid triggering warnings;
- you can add repositories (like Skype, Teams), but I strongly discourage adding PPA unless you are sure of what you're doing.
- you can add a trusted third party with
apt-key
;
Most of these elements are documented (more or less well, but it's always better than nothing) in the Ubuntu documentation. After that, you have to know how to search a bit on the internet; you'll see that the same sites often come up. The reason I get involved in this forum is that many resources are in English, which can sometimes be a hindrance for those who don't master the language.
I also regret that tutorials are either not dated (some date back to 2005!) while others are not up to date. I still believe that Linux evolves a bit too fast for me; I mainly need to adapt to it.
Many things remain true. After that, it’s a collective effort to keep them up-to-date. Each person, depending on their knowledge, beliefs, and time, can get involved more or less in maintaining wikis, answering on forums, developing free software, or getting involved in associations. For now, you say you're discovering, but if this universe interests you, you won't have any trouble finding ways to get involved in turn.
That said, when I talk about impatience I am hard on myself, as I spend a lot of time solving problems.
Yes, I think so too :-) I even believe that this episode should give you confidence in yourself and show you that courage pays off.
But fortunately, sometimes there are kind people who give their time on this kind of forum.
Yes, beyond our beliefs, it's precisely this kind of warm feedback that makes us want to continue to get involved ;-)
Good luck! - installing / updating / removing software is about managing packages (via
-