Photo deletion: Error code 8058

Solved
Hello everyone,

Here is my problem of the day:

I have finally transferred the photos and videos on my Mac to an external hard drive, for two reasons: to ensure backup and to free up space on my Mac, which is completely saturated with photos of my children and no longer has enough space to install updates...!

So the backups are done, but when I tried to select photos and/or videos to put in the trash: impossible. Error code 8058.

I've tried everything; selecting just one, selecting 500, copying and pasting, exporting, nothing works...

I eagerly await your expert advice, and thank you in advance.

Configuration: Macintosh / Firefox 65.0

13 answers

  1. Hello,

    Restarting the Mac should do the trick.
    If that doesn't work, we'll reassess.

    Ritchi
    1
    1. Good evening,

      You do not provide your configuration: Mac model and operating system (OS) we are not clairvoyants and the solutions may differ, in the meantime try to restart Finder: Apple menu/Force Quit/select Finder/Restart


      --
      When it's urgent, it's already too late (Talleyrand)
      When all else fails, read the manual ;)
      0
      1. It's a MacBook Pro.
        Mac OS Sierra.
        2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 processor.

        And I'm sorry to be more than a novice...
        0
      2. Hello,

        A simple technique to fix what needs to be repaired is to start the Mac in safe mode as explained here: https://support.apple.com/fr-fr/HT201262

        During this safe boot, the Mac will repair the elements that need it.
        Once the repairs are finished, you can log into your user session, but there's no need to stay in this boot mode: open the Apple menu () and then click on "Restart".
        The Mac will then boot up as usual and prompt you to log into your user session.
        If the problem is not resolved, then we'll try something else.

        Ritchi
        0
        1. Always error code 8058...
          0
        2. OK, I will think!
          0
        3. You're welcome!
          0
      3. I will try this strategy right away and keep you updated.
        Thank you.
        0
        1. Always error code 8058....
          0
        2. Maybe an error in transferring the photos to the external drive is preventing the originals from being moved? What was the location of the transferred/copied photos?
          0
      4. Hello,

        Have you tried the solution indirectly suggested by Dédé (hello to you, my friend), namely deleting the file "com.apple.finder.plist" and the possible file "com.apple.finder.plist.lock" (or something like that) present in the folder "Library -> Preferences".

        Note: to access this "Library" folder, simply:
        - click on the desktop to be in Finder,
        - click on the "Go" menu and press the Option key ( ⌥ ): then you will see the Library folder appear.
        - select this Library folder and then Preferences
        Ritchi
        0
        1. I've managed to delete that Apple file.
          I'm trying to delete the photos again.
          0
        2. It's working!!!!
          Videos in the trash!!!
          Thank you so, so, so much ????????????????????
          0
        3. The question marks were supposed to be thumbs up!
          0
        4. Well, there's a problem.
          I got a bit carried away (still, you guys are great, but it's not working), I was on the "accelerate" tab of the videos and it deleted the dozen present. However, still on Photos, in the Photos, Videos, or Albums tab, it's still impossible to delete.
          0
      5. It was the location in "photos."
        0
        1. I believe that's where the mistake lies because the photos in the "Photos" application's folder need to be handled carefully.
          The photo library should have been moved to the external drive, and then to access it, the new path should have been given.
          With the library moved, space was freed up.
          Since I don't use "Photos," I can't provide more explanations; if my friend Ritchi (hi there) knows how to do it, he will explain it perfectly.
          However, I'm afraid that what has been done may have caused some confusion!!
          0
        2. Thank you very much, thanks to both of you it works!
          0
        3. You are the best!
          0
      6. Well, I had a hard time accessing the library but it's done.
        I do have a com.apple.finder.plist file but I'm unable to delete it.
        0
        1. You need to right-click on it/move to trash, without emptying it, check the possibility of putting the photos in the trash, but I'm not sure.
          0
      7. Wouldn't the solution be to uninstall Photos?
        Is that possible?
        0
        1. No, the photo library needs to be moved to the external drive:
          https://support.apple.com/fr-fr/HT201517

          If there are duplicates on this external drive afterward, they can simply be deleted.
          0
      8. Unable to delete "Photos" error message that Mac OS requires...
        0
        1. Hello,

          Who talked about deleting "Photos," the app? Photos is part of the system, hence the error message.
          I mentioned moving the "photo library" and provided the help link to perform this action.
          This is enough to free up space on the internal hard drive.
          Best wishes.

          Edit: To view the photos after moving the photo library, when launching Photos, you need to provide the path to the photo library that has been moved and that it will not be able to find.
          Because without Photos, no reading is possible.
          0