Is 800 Mhz compatible with 1600?

Hello,
I would like to add more RAM to reach 16 GB but I currently have 8 GB at 800 MHz, and what I plan to get is 1600 MHz, still DDR3. Will both work together or will I have to remove my 800 MHz?

Configuration: Windows / Chrome 55.0.2883.87

4 answers

  1. Moderator
    Hello,

    Knowing that "DDR" stands for "DOUBLE Data Rate", is 800MHz the division by 2 of 1600MHz... 800MHz = 1600MHz, in reality.

    So, the sticks will be identical.

    --
    ~ To know how to listen is to possess, besides one's own, the brains of others... said Leonardo da Vinci.
    2
    1. So if I put the 800 MHz with the 1600, will the 800 not slow down the 1600?
      0
    2. You need to make sure that they are DDR3 and not DDR2.
      0
    3. Yes, yes, it's DDR3; DDR2 is harder to find these days.
      0
    4. Moderator
      @YzakuThe "800MHz" are actually 1600MHz!!!!

      So, they won't be throttled, since they are identical in frequency!

      800x2 = 1600
      1600/2 = 800

      So, we indeed have a "double data rate" of 800MHz in and 800MHz out, so it's good, they are really 1600MHz.
      0
  2. I don't really know, it depends on your motherboard if it supports 1600, but in any case, it's better to make sure it's "uniform," so it's either 800 or 1600, I think.
    0
    1. How can I check if she can handle it?
      0
  3. Contributor
    Hi Yzaku

    you download >>> CPU-Z <<<
    once installed, you will check the RAM you have in the SPD tab, its brand and its reference
    you will provide us with this information

    see you later
    --
    no links on English web pages, I already fly enough on my own
    0
    1. DDr3
      4096 Mbytes
      PC3-12800 (800 Mhz)
      Kingston
      9905474-037.A00LF
      0
  4. Contributor
    I can't find it for sale anymore
    and it's CAS 11
    take Corsair if you have four slots

    personally, I would get a Kit 2x 8 Go
    >> BALLISTIX - Tactical 16 Go 2 x 8 Go DDR3 1600 MHz Cas 8 << = €109.90
    --
    no link on the English webpage, I'm already stealing enough on my own
    0