Unrecognized USB drive

Solved
Hello,

After formatting my USB drive, it is no longer visible.
Normally, once plugged in, I should see it on the left side of the screen.

Could you please help me?

Thank you

Configuration: Linux / Chrome 80.0.3987.132

10 answers

  1. Hi!
    Thank you for your message.
    The problem is that my key doesn’t appear at all in the dropdown menu on the right.
    It’s as if it’s not recognized at all.
    What should I do to install gparted?
    I apologize, as I’m a bit of a novice on Ubuntu :-)

    Thank you for everything.
    Stéphane
    1
    1. Oh yes, I forgot, the dropdown menu is on the left for me (where there are all the icons like file, Google Chrome, VLC, Steam, and external hard drives, etc.)
      It may not be important, but I thought I’d mention it so we’re talking about the same thing
      :-)
      0
    2. No, we're not talking about the same thing at all.

      To install gparted, in the terminal type:
      sudo apt update

      then
       sudo apt install gparted


      Once gparted is installed, launch it (in the system tools menu), you will get this window:
      https://gparted.org/docs/help-manual/fr/figures/gparted_window.png

      Select your USB drive from the dropdown list in the top right (where it says /dev/sda in the screenshot). /dev/sda is usually the internal hard drive; your USB drive is named /dev/sde according to what was mentioned earlier in this post.

      Then click on the Device menu in the gparted window (you can see it in the screenshot) and this is where you create the new partition table...

      I'm also providing the link to the French documentation for gparted:
      https://gparted.org/display-doc.php?name=help-manual&lang=fr
      0
    3. @jns55Alright, great,

      I followed everything you wrote to me, and in the end, I get the key line with these indications: unallocated partition
      unallocated file system size 58.49 GB and at the bottom 0 pending operations at the bottom of the screen

      I took msdos as the partition table

      Thanks again, I think we're very close now :)
      Stéphane
      0
    4. @stephI restarted the computer to see if it recognized the drive after the manipulation, but it still doesn't appear on the left.
      0
    5. @stephIn the end, I get the line of the USB drive with these indications; unallocated partition
      unallocated file system size 58.49 GB


      It's normal that it doesn't appear because at this stage, you have a USB drive that has no partition, so it's not usable. You haven't completed the necessary steps.

      Open gparted again, select your USB drive.
      When it's displayed, click on the Partition menu and choose New
      Select primary for the partition type and fat32 for the format.
      Finally, click on the green checkmark to confirm and wait for the operations to finish. (Important, otherwise nothing is done)
      Now your USB drive should appear in the left pane of your file browser.
      0