Codec Windows Movie Maker

Solved/Closed
Hi! I have a problem importing videos into Windows Movie Maker, but I need the codec to complete this project.
I would like to have solutions to this issue.
Thank you.

24 answers

  1. Hello everyone.
    The solution for the codec issue is as follows: the problem is that you cannot export your videos to Windows Movie Maker because it shows an error message?
    First, do you have the right codecs? (hmm, I don't know) Well, download K-lite codec pack (preferably from a trusted site) and LAME MP3. These are audio and video codecs.
    Next, in Windows Movie Maker, click on Tools -> Options... -> in the Compatibility tab, please check all the boxes.

    Click on "Ok". Close WMM and restart it. Normally, you should be able to export without problems.

    If the issue persists, please describe it in detail, I beg you ^^
    Best regards, Oswego Captain CCM
    112
    1. Do you know a reliable site for K-Lite, because I also have this m..problem.
      0
    2. I hadn't checked the last one, you're the best: I had been looking for more than 3 months!!!!!!!!!!!!
      0
    3. you manage the fern!
      0
    4. lol you're a joke, caravan!
      0
    5. Wow, I've been looking for so long and in 5 seconds you solved the problem
      Thanks a lot
      0
  2. Hi,

    I have an equivalent problem:
    I was just given a Sony camcorder but it only records videos in .m2t format
    I want to edit with Windows Movie Maker but I can't find free codecs and I can't play this type of file except with VLC

    Please, help :o(

    Thank you for your responses.
    -2
    1. To respond to you, you need to install a codec pack. You have the K-Lite available for free online or ACE Mega Code for free as well, but the problem is when you work with Windows Movie Maker, the codecs keep opening which causes Windows Movie Maker to crash. The solution is to go slowly with W.M.M and save your work regularly.
      -2
      1. Hi Mc20, I downloaded K-lite but Windows Movie Maker doesn't want to play the films (Sony camcorder (small DVD)), can you help me? Thank you in advance. Tiko
        0
      2. t on
        0
    2. Does your problem not stem from the type of format?
      -2
      1. Download K-lite codec pack full (free from this site or elsewhere) then install it and in the movie maker options disable all filters except those from the K-lite pack, then enable the mpeg-2 codec in ffdshow video decoder located in the start menu, programs, K-lite codec. Restart and good luck.
        23
        1. I followed your advice, not easy to understand, but after tinkering with it, I managed to get by with K-lite mega codec.
          Thanks for everything, you must be a digital whiz, where do you find all this?
          0
        2. I have a problem with Windows Movie Maker, I've done everything you said for the K-Lite codec pack but Windows Movie Maker keeps telling me that the necessary codec for DVD playback is not installed... what should I do???? Please.
          0
        3. I followed your instructions... And it still doesn't work!!! x) I only have the sound of my video, not the images. =/ Can you help me?
          Thanks in advance!
          0
        4. Well done, buddy!! It's working like a charm with a .avi file while I had been struggling for 3 hours.
          0
        5. I couldn't download the second codec, what should I do please? :)
          0
      2. Hi

        I had the same problem with videos not being recognized by Movie Maker, but downloading the codecs didn't change anything unfortunately; you need to find a good software to convert the video format to AVI, which is recognized by Movie Maker.

        ----------------------------14--M-O-M-O--14-----------------------------
        -----------------------------\-___/^\____-/-----------------------------
        -2
        1. Even in AVI, WMM does not recognize the file.
          0
      3. It all depends on the issues encountered. When you can't import at all, it's due to the video filters you need to select in the options of Movie Maker, and when you import and only get the sound but not the images, it's a codec issue.
        0
        1. Anyway, if Movie Maker can't read them, it will tell you right away, so just drag them into the software.
          ----------------------------14--M-O-M-O--14-----------------------------
          ------------------------\-__/^\_[_]_/^\ [_]__-/----------------------
          -2
          1. Hi everyone,

            I had a similar problem: unable to insert video files into WMM. For me, it was vob files.
            But the problem is almost the same.
            Let's add that I'm at the office and can't install anything on this computer!!!

            Here's the solution: we use VLC to transcode our files to .avi (mpeg1 video codec and mpeg2 audio codec).
            And there you go, it works in WMM.

            The clever ones will note that if I can't install anything, I also can't install VLC..... Yes, but this software doesn't need to be installed, you just need to install it at home and copy the empty folder containing the VLC files, and there you go...
            See you later

            Quentin
            5
            1. Salut Quentin, pourrais-tu donner plus de précisions quant à la façon de procéder avec VLC s'il te plaît ?
              ----------------------------14--M-O-M-O--14-----------------------------
              ------------------------\-__/^\_[_]_/^\ [_]__-/----------------------
              0
            2. Thank you very much!! Thanks to you, it finally works!!!
              0
          2. Salut, j'ai des problèmes, j'aimerais mettre une vidéo téléchargée sur Windows Movie Maker, mais ils me disent d'installer un CODEC et j'aimerais savoir quel genre de codec il faut. ^^

            Merci d'avance. ^^
            -3
            1. Well, I actually want to make an AMV and the video format of the episodes I want to import is AVI, but WMM can't import it.
              -2
              1. Me too, I have a problem. I need an MSM to generate the code and I don't have MSM. Can someone tell me the MSM code?

                0
            2. I have the same problem, thank you for helping me solve it.
              -2
              1. Tools/Options/Compatibility, check video codecs.
                Close and restart.
                0
              2. I have the same issue

                http://zepload.com/images/1290199008_blem.png
                0
              3. thank youuuuuuuuuu
                0
            3. oé ok but where do you find tools, options ... ???
              0
              1. I have really tried everything that is said, but I can't send my videos to Movie Maker
                I downloaded K-Lite Codec, I have the full and mega codec packs, but nothing works. I changed the opening properties in the Movie Maker options, but nothing changes... Furthermore, not long ago everything was working perfectly. My camera sends videos in MOV format, I really need urgent help
                Thank you in advance.
                -1
                1. Hello,
                  I downloaded the K-lite codec pack full to edit a video on Windows Movie Maker, my problem is that the video works but there is no sound.

                  What should I do?

                  Thanks in advance =)
                  -1
                  1. I have the same issue: I can easily display .mov images but not the sound. I need to know the audio codec that would link it to WMM.
                    0
                  2. Oswego, thank you very much may God always keep you first.
                    0
                2. Hello community, my problem is that I recently have an H-P tower, Windows Vista... Home Premium edition 64 bits
                  Before having it, I used to make videos "what a big word" having made backups on CD, Movie Maker: version 6.0 (Pack2) doesn't want to support them because of missing codecs...
                  I downloaded the K-Lite codec pack, but my Movie does not recognize it?
                  Then even the Super software, which allows changing the format and cutting the sound.... nothing, still an "error" message
                  My SOS is important for me to resolve because I am upset that I can't manage it alone.... Thank you in advance if help is provided... Even without help, happy holidays to all!
                  -2
                  1. Hello!

                    So I also had the problem of importing .avi videos, so I downloaded the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, as suggested on a forum.
                    I import a video: WMM crashes abruptly, without any error message, when I try to play it. I saw in this topic that you were talking about video filters, but when I go to Tools < Options, I don't have a "Compatibility" tab. I can't find which filters to block... I'm really terrible with computers, so I don't know how to tinker with it ^^
                    If anyone has the solution, thank you in advance!
                    4
                    1. Hello everyone! I have the same issue: Sony camcorder, mini DVD, WMM doesn’t recognize it; I download the codecs but, I risk sounding stupid, where are the "tools compatibility options" buttons in WMM??? Thanks! (I have the Windows 7 version)
                      3
                      1. Please, I tried everything you told me but I installed K-Lite and it says The file................................. cannot be imported because the codec required for playback is not installed on your computer. If you have already downloaded and installed the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, then reimport the file.
                        9
                        • 1
                        • 2