Codec Windows Movie Maker

Solved/Closed
Hi! I have a problem importing videos into Windows Movie Maker, but I need the codec to complete this project.
I would like to have solutions to this issue.
Thank you.

24 answers

  1. Hello everyone.
    The solution for the codec issue is as follows: the problem is that you cannot export your videos to Windows Movie Maker because it shows an error message?
    First, do you have the right codecs? (hmm, I don't know) Well, download K-lite codec pack (preferably from a trusted site) and LAME MP3. These are audio and video codecs.
    Next, in Windows Movie Maker, click on Tools -> Options... -> in the Compatibility tab, please check all the boxes.

    Click on "Ok". Close WMM and restart it. Normally, you should be able to export without problems.

    If the issue persists, please describe it in detail, I beg you ^^
    Best regards, Oswego Captain CCM
    112
    1. Do you know a reliable site for K-Lite, because I also have this m..problem.
      0
    2. I hadn't checked the last one, you're the best: I had been looking for more than 3 months!!!!!!!!!!!!
      0
    3. you manage the fern!
      0
    4. lol you're a joke, caravan!
      0
    5. Wow, I've been looking for so long and in 5 seconds you solved the problem
      Thanks a lot
      0
  2. Hi, it's simple, just go to the file menu, save the video file, then click on next
    on the 3rd window select the video format in other settings, for example AVI, and click next.
    1
    1. By the way, it always shows me this message on the screen:

      The file C:\Users\Couasnon Erwan\Pictures\usa 2\00034.MTS cannot be imported because the necessary codec for playback is not installed on your computer. If you have already downloaded and installed the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, then reimport the file.
      -1
      1. Thank you. But I don't have ffdshow video and audio, and I've tried enabling and disabling the different options, and it doesn't work... If you could explain it to me more precisely, that would be great. And if anyone else has an answer, please share it, thanks.
        -1
        1. Yo! I had a problem too, then I checked in Options and Compatibility, I enabled ffdshow video and audio decoder and I have no more issues ;) (If that can help you)
          -1
          1. Please, I tried everything you told me but I installed K-Lite and it says The file................................. cannot be imported because the codec required for playback is not installed on your computer. If you have already downloaded and installed the codec, close and restart Windows Movie Maker, then reimport the file.
            9
            1. Hello everyone! I have the same issue: Sony camcorder, mini DVD, WMM doesn’t recognize it; I download the codecs but, I risk sounding stupid, where are the "tools compatibility options" buttons in WMM??? Thanks! (I have the Windows 7 version)
              3
              1. Hello!

                So I also had the problem of importing .avi videos, so I downloaded the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack, as suggested on a forum.
                I import a video: WMM crashes abruptly, without any error message, when I try to play it. I saw in this topic that you were talking about video filters, but when I go to Tools < Options, I don't have a "Compatibility" tab. I can't find which filters to block... I'm really terrible with computers, so I don't know how to tinker with it ^^
                If anyone has the solution, thank you in advance!
                4
                1. Hello community, my problem is that I recently have an H-P tower, Windows Vista... Home Premium edition 64 bits
                  Before having it, I used to make videos "what a big word" having made backups on CD, Movie Maker: version 6.0 (Pack2) doesn't want to support them because of missing codecs...
                  I downloaded the K-Lite codec pack, but my Movie does not recognize it?
                  Then even the Super software, which allows changing the format and cutting the sound.... nothing, still an "error" message
                  My SOS is important for me to resolve because I am upset that I can't manage it alone.... Thank you in advance if help is provided... Even without help, happy holidays to all!
                  -2
                  1. Hello,
                    I downloaded the K-lite codec pack full to edit a video on Windows Movie Maker, my problem is that the video works but there is no sound.

                    What should I do?

                    Thanks in advance =)
                    -1
                    1. I have the same issue: I can easily display .mov images but not the sound. I need to know the audio codec that would link it to WMM.
                      0
                    2. Oswego, thank you very much may God always keep you first.
                      0
                  2. I have really tried everything that is said, but I can't send my videos to Movie Maker
                    I downloaded K-Lite Codec, I have the full and mega codec packs, but nothing works. I changed the opening properties in the Movie Maker options, but nothing changes... Furthermore, not long ago everything was working perfectly. My camera sends videos in MOV format, I really need urgent help
                    Thank you in advance.
                    -1
                    1. oé ok but where do you find tools, options ... ???
                      0
                      1. I have the same problem, thank you for helping me solve it.
                        -2
                        1. Tools/Options/Compatibility, check video codecs.
                          Close and restart.
                          0
                        2. I have the same issue

                          http://zepload.com/images/1290199008_blem.png
                          0
                        3. thank youuuuuuuuuu
                          0
                      2. Well, I actually want to make an AMV and the video format of the episodes I want to import is AVI, but WMM can't import it.
                        -2
                        1. Me too, I have a problem. I need an MSM to generate the code and I don't have MSM. Can someone tell me the MSM code?

                          0
                      3. Salut, j'ai des problèmes, j'aimerais mettre une vidéo téléchargée sur Windows Movie Maker, mais ils me disent d'installer un CODEC et j'aimerais savoir quel genre de codec il faut. ^^

                        Merci d'avance. ^^
                        -3
                        1. Hi everyone,

                          I had a similar problem: unable to insert video files into WMM. For me, it was vob files.
                          But the problem is almost the same.
                          Let's add that I'm at the office and can't install anything on this computer!!!

                          Here's the solution: we use VLC to transcode our files to .avi (mpeg1 video codec and mpeg2 audio codec).
                          And there you go, it works in WMM.

                          The clever ones will note that if I can't install anything, I also can't install VLC..... Yes, but this software doesn't need to be installed, you just need to install it at home and copy the empty folder containing the VLC files, and there you go...
                          See you later

                          Quentin
                          5
                          1. Salut Quentin, pourrais-tu donner plus de précisions quant à la façon de procéder avec VLC s'il te plaît ?
                            ----------------------------14--M-O-M-O--14-----------------------------
                            ------------------------\-__/^\_[_]_/^\ [_]__-/----------------------
                            0
                          2. Thank you very much!! Thanks to you, it finally works!!!
                            0
                        2. Anyway, if Movie Maker can't read them, it will tell you right away, so just drag them into the software.
                          ----------------------------14--M-O-M-O--14-----------------------------
                          ------------------------\-__/^\_[_]_/^\ [_]__-/----------------------
                          -2
                          1. It all depends on the issues encountered. When you can't import at all, it's due to the video filters you need to select in the options of Movie Maker, and when you import and only get the sound but not the images, it's a codec issue.
                            0
                            1. Hi

                              I had the same problem with videos not being recognized by Movie Maker, but downloading the codecs didn't change anything unfortunately; you need to find a good software to convert the video format to AVI, which is recognized by Movie Maker.

                              ----------------------------14--M-O-M-O--14-----------------------------
                              -----------------------------\-___/^\____-/-----------------------------
                              -2
                              1. Even in AVI, WMM does not recognize the file.
                                0
                            • 1
                            • 2