Game Boy Advance Backlight
Hello,
I recently bought a used GBA. It works well, and I plan to give it to kids, but there's a big problem: the brightness is really bad, the screen is almost black.
After searching on Google, it seems that this is normal; it's a technical flaw as the GBA doesn't have a backlight, which is why Nintendo released the GBA SP. What should I do? I'm really bummed out; honestly, it's horrible to play with an almost black screen. I don't want to strain these poor kids' eyes. Apparently, there exists a light-up magnifier. For those who have tried it, can you tell me if it improves visibility? Also, I found some sites talking about afterburners, but I don't know anything about DIY.
Thanks!
I recently bought a used GBA. It works well, and I plan to give it to kids, but there's a big problem: the brightness is really bad, the screen is almost black.
After searching on Google, it seems that this is normal; it's a technical flaw as the GBA doesn't have a backlight, which is why Nintendo released the GBA SP. What should I do? I'm really bummed out; honestly, it's horrible to play with an almost black screen. I don't want to strain these poor kids' eyes. Apparently, there exists a light-up magnifier. For those who have tried it, can you tell me if it improves visibility? Also, I found some sites talking about afterburners, but I don't know anything about DIY.
Thanks!
Configuration: Windows Vista Internet Explorer 7.0
4 answers
-
Hello,
Regarding personal experience, the famous magnifying glass to put on the console doesn't work; it is strictly useless.
Now starting to tamper with it, I think it's risky to break it, especially as you said if you're not handy. The backlighting is the same system as in a laptop with the inverter; if that’s broken, you can try whatever you want, and you won’t see anything. That's also from personal experience. Now I believe the best option would be the SP. I don't know if you want to buy in bulk or just two or three, but I recommend checking out eBay; you can buy a bit of everything with the auction system. Another piece of advice is to do your research to avoid being disappointed later.
With that, good night.