VMware Workstation 7 ".msi failed"

Solved
Hello,
I am encountering a problem that prevents me from installing VMware Workstation 7.

The MSI
"c:\Users\thea\AppData\Local\Temp\vmware_1333669741\vmwareworksation.msi" failed.
Setup has detected that VMware Workstation is already installed on this machine. Please uninstall this product through the control panel and try again.


Initially, I was using Workstation 8, but it was not functioning properly (virtual machine crashes on startup), so I decided to uninstall it.
When I later tried to reinstall it, the installation failed at the end. As a result, I decided to manually delete everything because the VMware program did not appear in the list of programs, but I cannot seem to locate this infamous .msi file (hidden files are visible).

After numerous attempts, I decided to try installing an older version (Workstation 7) to see if it would work, but the problem persists, and I admit I'm out of ideas!

Thank you for your help

Configuration: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit / Firefox 9.0.1 / Asus U30sd laptop / i5 2410 processor / 8GB RAM

8 answers

  1. Here are some ideas before formatting:

    1) Have you performed a system restore to a date prior to the software installation?

    2) The files of 6 and 7 having the same name, look in these locations for reference. See above

    3) Visit the manufacturer's website and explain your case on their forums.
    http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/desktop/workstation

    Good luck. Bridget.
    6
    1. The restoration went smoothly. I was able to retrieve version 8 of VMware Workstation (which can be configured as Workstation 7). I successfully virtualized Kubuntu and Ubuntu without any problems.
      Thank you again for your valuable advice.
      2
      1. Happy for you. Best wishes. Bridget. :-)
        0
    2. I will try to restore the system to a previous date. I will keep you updated tomorrow on the progress of my issue.
      Thank you again for your advice.
      0
      1. Despite your involvement, I still haven't resolved my issue.
        0
        1. Thank you for these answers.
          I had already tested this method but I must have missed a step. In particular, the one in the register where the indicated keys were not included (since it was version 8, the topic stops at 7 :( )
          I think I will format my PC. I don't think it will do it any harm...
          0
          1. Cleaning up an incomplete uninstallation of a VMware product on Windows: (With programs and registry keys by products)
            http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1308

            Troubleshooting an MSI error during the installation of a VMware product:
            http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=1031302

            It's in English, but if you need a hand... Good luck.
            Best regards. Bridget.
            6
            1. VMware produced files (not all may be present on your machine):
              Source: VMware Knowledge Base:


              ? C: \ Windows \ system32 \ vmnat.exe
              ? C: \ Windows \ system32 \ vmnetbridge.exe
              ? C: \ Windows \ system32 \ VMNetDHCP.exe
              ? C: \ Windows \ system32 \ vmnetdhcp.leases
              ? C: \ Windows \ system32 \ vmxw2ksetup.dll
              ? C: \ Windows \ system32 \ vnetprobe.exe
              ? C: \ Windows \ system32 \ vnetprobelib.dll
              ? C: \ Windows \ system32 \ vnetinst.dll
              ? C: \ Windows \ system32 \ vnetlib.dll
              ? C: \ Windows \ system32 \ vnetlib.exe
              ? C: \ Windows \ system32 \ drivers \ vmnet.sys
              ? C: \ Windows \ system32 \ drivers \ vmnetx.sys
              ? C: \ Windows \ system32 \ drivers \ VMparport.sys
              ? C: \ Windows \ system32 \ drivers \ vmx86.sys
              ? C: \ Windows \ system32 \ drivers \ vmnetadapter.sys
              ? C: \ Windows \ system32 \ drivers \ vmnetbridge.sys
              ? C: \ Windows \ system32 \ drivers \ vmnetuserif.sys
              ? C: \ Windows \ system32 \ drivers \ hcmon.sys
              ? C: \ Windows \ system32 \ drivers \ vmusb.sys

              Registry keys: For Workstation 6.x / 7.x
              Source VMware database


              ?HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Features\2BC5FF3A53BF85647815E9EDD1563BAA
              ?HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\2BC5FF3A53BF85647815E9EDD1563BAA
              ?HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Features\2BC5FF3A53BF85647815E9EDD1563BAA
              ?HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\2BC5FF3A53BF85647815E9EDD1563BAA
              ?HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\7A26F0EA2A1AF704F9C48439B99DDAD8
              ?HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\7A79579133DA8984D9E8376086814B46
              ?HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\2BC5FF3A53BF85647815E9EDD1563BAA
              ?HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{A3FF5CB2-FB35-4658-8751-9EDE1D65B3AA}

              ?HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VMware, Inc.
              0
            2. , due to the fact that the bullet point at the beginning of each line was not taken into account. Sorry.
              0
          2. Yes, I have already used CCleaner. Thanks to it, I was able to remove traces in the registry, but when it comes to targeting VMware-related files on the system disk, it's more difficult.
            Still, I have removed a lot of elements coming from VMware.
            The problem persists!!
            0
            1. Clean your PC with CCleaner, that will already help...

              Maybe Revo Uninstaller could help you after...

              A software installation leaves traces everywhere on a PC, that's why the software doesn't want to install...
              0