INITIALIZING YOUR HARD DRIVE

Hello,

I have retrieved (again :), a WD6400aaks-65Z7B0 hard drive
(http://www.wdc.com/en/products/catalog/).

It is detected by the BIOS, by the device manager, by the WD software, but I can’t format it, do you have any idea?
I use the manager, then a window opens asking for initialization, master boot record or GPT partition, I choose option 1.
Okay, then it tells me “the request could not be satisfied due to an I/O device error.”
I have read several posts here and there and it’s always quite vague, can you explain what it is, thank you.

For your information, the smart readings do not indicate any failure.
It is connected internally to a SATA II.

<config>Windows Vista / Firefox 10.0.2</config>

12 answers

  1. Hello, to format from the command prompt, you enter format followed by the name of your drive, for example, format c:

    Otherwise, if you have a Windows installation disk, you start your PC with that disk and act as if you were going to install Windows

    When it asks you which drive or partition you want to install on, you select the drives option and then format, and it should normally be done in a few seconds.
    0