QuickTime logo with question mark?

Solved
Hello,

I have a problem related to QuickTime when browsing the internet with Mozilla Firefox. The pages load normally, but I cannot play any video or audio media, and even advertisements are not visible... Basically, the QuickTime logo appears with a question mark inside it, preventing me from accessing the content (sometimes total) of certain websites.
On the other hand, it seems to work well with Internet Explorer.

I followed the advice given in another post that dealt with the same issue = I uninstalled Firefox and QuickTime, then reinstalled Firefox. Then in "Tools", "Extensions", I chose "Get more extensions", went to "Plugins", and reinstalled QuickTime, but the problem persists in the same way.

Please, if someone could shed some light on the issue, I would be very grateful. Thank you in advance.
Configuration: Laptop - Windows XP Home Edition SP2

33 answers

  1. Good evening,

    I have the same issue as you with Firefox and QuickTime,

    just one question: is it risky to remove the "plugins" directory? Because when I do "about:plugins" I have quite a few other plugins installed besides QuickTime, so I assume I won't be able to use them if the "plugins" folder no longer exists.

    Is this problematic?
    1. Removing the "Plugins" folder allowed me to no longer have the QuickTime icon with a ?

      Thanks for this info!
  2. Hello,

    I have exactly the same problem with the difference that I can't afford to uninstall QuickTime, even if I reinstall it afterwards because I have a conflict between QuickTime and iTunes (which are supposed to work together), and I spent about 5 hours trying to get them to work properly, so if I uninstall QuickTime and reinstall it, I will have to bash my head against the wall to get iTunes running again.

    So, I use Internet Explorer and I also have this question mark that appears; it happens on pages that actually have a video located on another site, for example, a celebrity site that shows videos that are actually hosted on YouTube or elsewhere. If I go to YouTube, the video displays, but if I go to the celebrity site, it shows the QuickTime logo with the question mark.

    Link to the site where the question mark appears (just for example, it's not an ad ^^):
    http://www.eparsa.fr/webredactions/index.php?2007/10/10/4830-britney-spears-et-jamie-lynn-et-le-sushi-infernal

    So I disable the QuickTime module and it shows a white image with a red cross, I uninstall Flash Player and even delete any leftover folders and files, and reinstall it but still the same as if no player started behind, and I wanted to know if there is any way to launch a module from another type of player instead of the one from QuickTime?
    1. Hello,
      well, listen to me, I completely and simply removed QuickTime and everything works perfectly
      I can see the videos, I can play them on all websites
      so I don't know what to tell you
      for me, by permanently deleting QuickTime, everything works wonderfully
      good luck and I hope you find a solution
      Corinne
  3. Hello everyone
    so here it is!
    I have solved my problem

    I removed QuickTime, I uninstalled Adobe Flash Player
    I turned off my computer,
    I restarted my computer without QuickTime for good
    I re-downloaded Adobe Flash Player
    and since then, no more logo with a question mark and above all, I can finally see the image instead of the question mark and I can watch all the videos
    so for me, the permanent removal of QuickTime was necessary
    and since then, I'm without problems
    good luck to all and thank you for all your little tips!
    Corinne
    1. Hello,

      I think I found the solution and thanks to "virus 3" (Thank you).

      I'm on a Mac and here's what I did:
      after installing Firefox (or for those who already have it installed).
      go to Library then Internet Plug-Ins, cut the "QT" plugs and paste them elsewhere.
      (I haven't tried deleting them, as long as it works!!!)
      restart Firefox... and there you go... it's done.

      hoping this is the right solution for everyone...
      @+
      1. Well, there are quite a few solutions. I noticed that the problem came from the folder C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins (according to all the answers). But deleting it also removes the plugins already installed. So I looked around and saw a file called QuickTimePlugin, I cut it and copied it somewhere else (like on the desktop, just in case I messed up), but it still didn't work. I went back to the folder and saw several files starting with npqtplugin, the QT (np"qt"plugin.dll), I figured that must mean QuickTime, so I cut and pasted them into another folder (you never know). And bam, I restarted Firefox... And bingo. All I had to do was delete those files. I wonder why they cause QuickTime to crash on Firefox, especially since it works just fine without them... who knows. Anyway, have a good evening!
        1. Hello everyone,

          I also have this problem and I don't know how to solve it.
          I have tried all the operations mentioned above... but without success.
          For your information, I am on Mac OSX.

          Thank you for your responses.
          1. Hello,

            Here’s how I fixed the Quicktime logo issue with a question mark.

            In the Firefox plugins folder, delete the files npqtplugin?.dll with a number instead of the question mark.

            It worked for me.

            ...

            AP
            1. Hello!

              Well, for me, the same problem on Mac OS X, I was fed up!
              I followed Sinharat's advice (message 21) except I didn't have the time or the courage to uninstall everything, so I just unchecked everything in the "mime" settings of QuickTime, and there!
              And there!!! IT WORKS!

              Thank you very much!!
              1. For the Mac and this question mark issue on certain sites, how does it work? When I search for the Mozilla folder and the program files, I can't find anything.. thanks for the info.
                1. same after the removal of plugins.
                  Thank you all!

                  uh otherwise it might be a silly question but what are these things that I just deleted for?

                  ...
                  wij
                  1. GTO Thank you
                    I've been struggling for several months, thank you thank you thank you thank you... no more problems, simple and effective!
                    1. Completely deleting the "Plugin" folder seems like a drastic method to me, while the "Gdi" method does not change anything for this specific problem.
                      1. Hello everyone!!
                        I had exactly the same problem with the question mark
                        and since I deleted the contents of the Plugins folder
                        everything is working perfectly now!!!!!!
                        Thank you all and have a great evening :-))
                        1. Thank you for everything Phospho, your help has allowed me to solve this problem. However, if you or someone else could help me with Dailymotion. I called Dailymotion and did what they told me but nothing has changed. I have downloaded Macromedia Flash Player more than once with no results. Do you have a solution for this problem? Once again, thank you very much, your help has been valuable, PHOSPHO!!!
                          1. Hi, glad your issue with Quicktime is resolved!
                            What exactly is the problem you're having with Dailymotion?
                          2. @PhosphoHello, Phospho. I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner, especially since it's for help.
                            I can't tell you more than I've already said. As I mentioned, I have a problem with Dailymotion. I can access the site, but when I click on the video, I see nothing. Everything is white, just like with Quicktime when I mentioned it to you and the other users before.
                        2. I have the same problem, but I don't know how to delete the plugins file. What is the MOZILLA FIREFOX folder in PROGRAM FILES, and how do I access it? I know I'm supposed to help you, but I'm taking this opportunity. Ever since my antivirus was installed, I have a question mark like you. Thank you for your help.
                          1. To delete the plugins folder:

                            - click on "Start"
                            - then on "My Computer"
                            - there, click on "Local Disk (C:)"
                            - then click on the "Program Files" folder
                            - there, click on the "Mozilla Firefox" folder
                            - here you will find a "plugins" folder. Right-click on it and press "Delete".
                            - then restart your computer and it should work again without the question marks.

                            That's it, it's just a matter of clicks!
                          2. @PhosphoI did what you said and still the question marks?
                            Do you have any other solutions???? Thanks, see you soon
                            Corinne
                        3. Hi everyone,

                          Well, I've had this question mark issue again, after several months without problems. And indeed, the only solution that worked for me was, like irukandji, to delete the PLUGINS folder in the MOZILLA FIREFOX directory in PROGRAM FILES.

                          I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays this way!
                          1. hello everyone
                            for me the only remedy that worked, I went into PROGRAM FILES in the MOZILLA FIREFOX folder and deleted the PLUGINS file.
                            Since then it's been cool, I no longer have that damn question mark.
                            hi and thanks to everyone.
                            1. Hello,

                              I had the same issue that I solved with a simple click: when a question mark appears on a site, you right-click on it: in the "advanced" tab --> "video" section you click on "safe mode (gdi only)" --> "apply"
                              And there you go, it's done.
                              All it took was to ask ;-)
                              1. Procedure to follow on PC (I imagine it's the same on Mac OS X, I'll test it tonight on the iBook) that I just performed in order to maintain the playback of dedicated sites like dailymotion, youtube, etc., and to be able to launch MP3 playback (like EMBED tags on QuickTime player) as well as use iTunes:

                                1/ Uninstall QT
                                2/ Uninstall Firefox
                                3/ Delete the Firefox folder from your Program Files directory (for example C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox >> trash)
                                4/ Reinstall QT
                                5/ At the end of the installation, choose "configure file types and MIME types." File types are for the default use of QT player for playback of files (e.g., .aac, .mp3, .wav, .aif), that's up to you. In MIME type, I uncheck EVERYTHING, all subfolders. I only keep AAC playback, MP3 playback (like EMBED tags, streaming MP3 files) and .mov files, MacPaint files, .aif, PICT files.
                                6/ Reinstall Firefox.

                                Normally everything should work.
                                1. Hello

                                  I partly followed your advice by unchecking everything except MP3... And it's working (for now). However, I didn't have to restart or uninstall anything.

                                  Thanks for your advice.

                                  PS: I'm on mac

                                  D
                              2. Hello everyone,
                                on Mac OS X
                                Quicktime showing a question mark on Firefox and IE for YouTube, Allociné, etc...
                                and all of this after updating Flash Player.

                                After extensive searches on the forum about this topic, I think I have seen all the posts
                                and did various tweaks all mentioned, reinstalling Flash Player 8,
                                I also unchecked the boxes in: System Preferences / Internet and Network Quicktime / Advanced / Mime Settings / etc., I also deleted everything related to Quicktime and Flash Player from Internet Plug-Ins.
                                No problem on Safari.
                                A big thank you if anyone has an idea.
                                1. Hi Pat,
                                  I'm on Safari, I followed your procedure and I got to the mime settings, can you tell me exactly what needs to be checked (V) or unchecked (-) or canceled (0), thank you for your response
                                  Alain
                              • 1
                              • 2