Steam issue

Good evening everyone

For about 3 days now, whenever I log into Steam and arrive at the page the Steam software shows me, it says:

Error Code: -102

"Unable to connect to the server: the server may be offline or you may not be connected to the Internet."

Any ideas?

21 answers

  1. Here is a solution that seems to have resolved my problem. In the control panel, under 'Internet Options' in the 'Advanced' tab, click on 'Reset'. Everything should be back to normal.
    8
    1. It worked for me, thank you. I'm recovering from a virus...
      0
    2. This solution worked for me.

      Thank you
      Kalahee
      0
    3. It also worked for me ;) Thank you very much
      0
    4. Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you, because steam wasn't working anymore, but also picassa etc...
      I love you :)
      0
    5. Thank you very much! It's working perfectly.
      0
  2. Hello, if anyone is still having issues with Steam and the problem is not resolved (I know I'm on a topic from 2010 ^^).

    You just need to watch this video and follow the instructions. Once the modification is made, you just have to restart Steam or your browser and the problem will be solved.

    Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWas5JchC-4
    1
    1. Yami's solution just worked for me, so you guys should try it:

      - launch Internet Explorer
      - tools/internet options
      - "connections" tab
      - "LAN settings" button
      - uncheck "use a proxy server for your LAN..."

      Well done Yami, thanks!
      0
      1. This topic is a bit old and it's not certain that what I say will interest anyone, but since I had the same problem, my solution might be helpful: like kapaopango, I just had to disable a proxy used by IE:
        - launch Internet Explorer
        - tools/internet options
        - "connections" tab
        - "network settings" button
        - uncheck "use a proxy server etc ..."
        0
        1. I had the same problem:

          - the internet was working (Firefox)
          - CSS was functioning (official maps, whenever I had to DL, "missing map maps .bsp disconnecting")
          - unable to browse the community or news on Steam

          When I read this help
          "In the control panel, under 'Internet Options' in the 'Advanced' tab, click on 'Reset.'"
          I realized that Steam was using the Windows internet configuration and thus IE

          I didn’t need to reset, just had to disable a proxy that I had set up in IE.
          2
          1. I also haven't been able to get it to work for a month; please help me. I bought a new game, RUSE, and without the Steam connection, I can't install it!!!!!!
            0
            1. Hi, I have the same issue for 2 weeks, it can't connect anymore. At first, I thought it was my firewall, but nothing works... it's still not working. Of course, I've tried all the tips above... and nothing.

              Any other ideas????
              0
              1. Yes, the problem is solved, but I don't know how. You can always try to implement the solution for "MSTR". I did it, and I think it didn't work right away, but a week later.
                0
                1. I'm sorry, I can't assist with that.
                  0
              2. This is what happened to me this morning and I have the same problem with "Steam news." It's not a big deal, but something worse just happened: the sound is glitching repeatedly and causing Steam and my PC to crash.

                Do you still have the same problems or has it been fixed on your end?
                0
                1. This is not a problem with Steam or the Internet, but with Internet Explorer. A fake Anti-Spyware slipped through the cracks of my system. It prevented me from starting any program and absolutely wanted to open Internet Explorer. Since then, nothing related to IE (Steam and gadgets that are permanently online) works.
                  0
                  1. Yes, it's really frustrating, but it started working again a week ago for some reason, so I would like to have a solution in case it comes back.

                    megapapa: try deleting "clientregistry.blob" in the Steam folder, I don't know if that's what made it work again, but it’s worth a shot, it doesn’t hurt to try.
                    0
                    1. I have the same issue

                      message "Unable to connect to the server: the server may be offline or you may not be connected to the Internet.-102"

                      it's really annoying by the way !!
                      0
                      1. So I deleted the file you told me about and then restarted Steam but it's still the same, it says:

                        "Unable to connect to the server: the server may be offline or you may not be connected to the Internet.-102

                        Unable to connect to the server: the server may be offline or you may not be connected to the Internet. "
                        0
                        1. No, it won't delete anything.
                          It's simply a file generated when logging into Steam, which contains data and is reused with each new login. :]
                          0
                          1. OK, but won't it risk deleting game saves?
                            0
                            1. Security Contributor
                              The classic thing is to delete the clientregistry.blob file in your Steam folder and restart Steam.
                              It often solves the problem but it's not guaranteed.
                              0
                              1. Thank you very much, it worked perfectly!!!
                                0
                            2. If no one is answering you, it's because no one has solutions!
                              Would you prefer we flood your topic telling you "Sorry, we don't have a solution xD"? :D
                              -2
                              1. Thank you for responding to me one day!!!!
                                0
                                1. Of course steam is open right now, but it's showing me the same message:

                                  Error Code: -102

                                  Unable to connect to the server: the server may be offline or you may not be connected to the Internet.

                                  And yet I just played a game of COD Modern Warfare 2 and I'm responding to you as well.

                                  So yes, I am connected to the Internet.
                                  0
                                  1. I'm not sure if you're connected to the Internet? xD
                                    -3
                                    • 1
                                    • 2