Net send linux -> Windows

Solved
Hello,
I am looking to implement the net send function from a Linux PC to a W2K PC. The two PCs are connected via a D-Link router. I recall that the net send function makes a popup message appear on the Victim’s machine. that could be fun .. right ?
Configuration: Linux Debian Mozilla 1.8.1.10

5 answers

  1. Contributor
    Hello,

    I have just configured Linux Ubuntu 9.04 to use at work.

    Is it possible to send popup messages from a Linux machine to Microsoft Windows (2000 & XP)?

    What needs to be configured?

    --

    Open source answers the consumer’s freedom of choice of the 21st century.
    2
    1. Moderator
      Hi,

      Via "Samba" and more precisely the command "smbclient" it is possible.
      Excerpt from the man page of smbclient :
       -M nom_NetBIOS These options allow you to send messages through the “WinPopup” protocol to another computer. Once the connection is established, you enter your message and use ^D (Control-D) to quit and send the message. If WinPopup works on the target computer, the user will receive the message and probably a sound signal; otherwise, the message will be lost and no error message will be sent. The message will be automatically truncated to 1600 characters if it exceeds this limit due to the protocol. A useful tip is to send the message through the cat command (N.B. : or echo) to smbclient. For example: cat mon_message.txt | smbclient -M FRED will send the message contained in the file mon_message.txt to the machine FRED. You can also use the -U and -I options which allow you to control the FROM (N.B. : “From”) and TO (N.B. : “to”) fields of the message. See the parameter of the message commands in the smb.conf(5) file for a description of how Samba should handle incoming WinPopup messages (N.B. : There are also utilities such as linpopup that simulate the WinPopup client). Note: Copy WinPopup into the Startup programs of your PCs to receive such messages (N.B. : or start the associated service on Windows NT-derived operating systems).
      ;-))

      --

      Z'@+...che.
      JP : Zen, my Nuggets ! ;-) Knowledge is only good if it is shared.
      1
      1. and if samba is not available on RedHat distributions

        in that case how do we do it?
        0
    2. Wonderful! I’ll try, thank you !!!!!! ..... and likewise ?????? Well, that’s outside the scope of the question.
      0
      1. Moderator
        Conversely, I have no idea and I don’t even know if it’s possible as brupala ;-))

        --

        Z'@+...che.
        JP : Zen, my Nuggets ! ;-) Knowledge is only good if it is shared.
        0
    3. Moderator
      But well, you can always try linpopup ;-))

      --

      Z'@+...che.
      JP : Zen, my Nuggets ! ;-) Le savoir n'est bon que s'il est partagé.
      0
      1. I was going to say it's Christmas, but no! it's the Epiphany gifts. I'll try it too. Thanks again!
        0