Footnote numbering issue
Hello,
I have a 160-page document (thesis) and I would like to restart the numbering of the footnotes in each section.
I thought I knew how to do it. I go to the "References" section, click on the small icon at the bottom right, in the dialog box I choose the numbering that restarts "each section" and then I apply it. The changes are well applied in the document, I save it. Once I open the document again, it's as if no modifications were saved and I can't find a solution.
Could you please help me?
Thank you very much!
6 answers
-
Good evening
You need to go to the first page of each section, starting from the second, so if you have already numbered
make sure your cursor is positioned there
In the toolbar, click on "page number" at the bottom of the menu, then go to "page format"
in the small window, click on "starting from" and set it to 1
repeat for each section
-
Good evening,
Thank you for your response, but I'm not talking about the page numbers, I'm talking about the footnote numbers. I can restart this numbering for each section, but once the document is closed and saved, it disappears as if I hadn't done anything!
-
Contributor
Hello.
What version of Word do you have? Do you use it on PC, laptop, iPad, or tablet?
I would like to point out that you need to select the entire document [ ctrl+A ] before asking for the "Restart at every section" option, if the text is already entered.
If you are starting to enter the document, you apply the option before you begin.
Retirement is great! Especially in the Caribbean...
Raymond (INSA, AFPA)-
-
-
@Harriwald
I even tried to apply the change before entering a test document and I'm having the same issue. So to summarize, two different versions of Word, several different documents, and still the same problem.
I guess it must be something I'm doing wrong, but I can't really see where I'm messing up.
-
-
I have news:
On a blank document, I did the same procedure but clicked on "Insert" instead of applying, and it works when I create new footnotes. However, it doesn't work if I copy-paste my entire text.
There is a solution, but it is particularly tedious as it would involve retyping my text and all my footnotes, but we're talking about almost 600 notes here. Is there no other way?
-
Moderator
Hello,
First of all, there's no need to select anything, especially if we want to apply it to the whole document. In the dialog box, you just need to check that for the option "Apply changes to," it says "to the whole document."
You say "... in the dialog box I choose the numbering that restarts at "each section" then I apply."
But, before applying, you first need to click on "Convert".
m@rina
-
Moderator
Good evening,
Well, if you say that everything goes fine when you perform the operation, but that the problem only arises once the document is closed and reopened, then it's clear that it isn't caused by the operation.
Is this the only thing that doesn't save?
Where are your section breaks, are there many of them?
m@rina
