My PC does not display the desktop

Solved/Closed

Hello everyone, since last night my desktop doesn't show up, it displays a blue screen while my computer starts normally. I've tried the startup options wanting to launch a previous good configuration but there isn't any, and I even launched it in safe mode with no result. Please help me.

30 answers

  1. Right-click on the workstation/property and go to the desktop tab, then at the bottom, desktop customization
    check if the items are checked.

    Otherwise, it's likely you caught something nasty after a download
    do you have an antivirus and an anti-spyware?

    You can do an online scan

    http://www.secuser.com/outils/antivirus.htm

    otherwise update your antivirus
    and your anti-spy

    if you don't have one, you have
    http://www.emsisoft.net/fr/software/personal/ demo version

    Anti-trojan
    http://www.zdnet.fr/telecharger/windows/fiche/0,39021313,11008989s,00.htm

    or even Adaware or Spybot

    start in safe mode

    then scan your PC with these tools

    and let us know what it is

    ++
    29
    1. Thank you kin

      Your trick works well thank you miiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllllllllllllllllll times
      1
    2. thank you very much
      0
    3. Thank you, that's very nice for the tip. Best of luck!
      0
    4. Thanks for the technique! It works.
      0
  2. The explorer.exe process must be nonexistent, or it must be a mistake. Try going to the task manager, then to File and New Task!!!
    And there you go to c:/windows/explorer.exe!!!
    There you go, if it is nonexistent, then get it from a friend!!!
    17
    1. merci mec ! ça marche à fond !
      0
    2. Thank you very much, actually it worked. I didn't really believe it, but it worked. I found my office, thank you very much!!
      0
    3. thank you, it works well
      0
  3. Contributor
    OK, in safe mode, press the CTRL+CTRL+Delete keys at the same time
    Go to the Applications tab
    Click on New Task
    Type CMD, click OK
    The DOS command prompt opens.

    In the black window, type chkdsk /r
    Type Y and restart your computer if necessary
    The scan of your hard drive starts upon PC startup

    Repeat until you no longer have any error messages.
    --
    Google is your friend =^-^=
    The "Search" function of How Stuff Works also
    9
    1. Hello Kin,
      My PC (ACER, WINDOWS 7 with AVG antivirus) is slow to start up, and even if it starts normally, the desktop is not displayed. I tried safe mode by pressing F8 but to no avail; instead, my PC starts normally but only shows the background without the desktop. Please help me.
      4
      1. Contributor
        Without a desktop, does that mean without shortcuts or without the Start Menu?

        To make the Start menu appear, try pressing the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys simultaneously; the Task Manager will appear.
        In the Applications tab, click on "New Task" and type explorer.exe

        Let us know if that was enough.
        0
    2. Hello, I had the same problem as you (just 5 minutes ago, lol), the desktop wasn't showing, just my background, I had access to the task manager but that's it.

      After several unsuccessful attempts, I booted in safe mode (F5 or F8 at startup)
      I ran Avast which immediately found a trojan, I can't remember the name (I know it was an hour ago, but I have the memory of a goldfish), anyway, it asked me to perform a scan before booting into XP, I accepted, and then it detected other infected files that I think were related to the first one...
      Now my desktop is showing, everything seems to be working fine (apparently I haven't tried everything yet).

      I hope I was able to help you.

      P.S.: If it works, can you run Navilog to finish everything up, okay? :) I'm in, good night
      3
      1. Hello,
        Process I use in case of Windows XP being attacked by a malware that has overwritten explorer.exe.
        So no more desktop at startup..
        Press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, the task manager will appear..
        Check if explorer.exe is listed among the running tasks..
        If not, put the Windows XP CD back in the CD-ROM drive and follow the instructions to install another version of Windows XP on the same partition WITHOUT FORMATTING.
        Once the new version is installed (30 minutes), 2 options for Windows XP will be offered at startup.. choose the first one, it’s the new one.. use the explorer from the new version to find explorer.exe in the programs (system 32) and copy it, then still under the new Windows XP, open the file of the old Windows to repair and place the copy of explorer.exe in system 32.. close everything and restart.. This time, when prompted, choose the second option, you will return to the damaged first version and miraculously... it works again..
        Then uninstall the version that served as a repair by going to My Computer right-click Advanced/ Startup and Recovery/ Edit and modifying the boot.ini file to leave only the first version of Windows.
        Then go to Msconfig Boot.ini and choose the correct version as default at startup. Delete the second version or not if you want to use it another time..
        There you go, it’s like before the filthy mess!
        It may sound a bit complicated like this but actually, it's simple and effective!
        You can email me in case of a problem.
        2
        1. Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore.
          2
          1. Hello everyone

            I also had the same problem, my desktop was not displaying anymore.
            Despite the numerous solutions provided that I tried, nothing worked

            Then by right-clicking the mouse, selecting "reorganize icons," and then "show icons," it worked

            I hope this works for you too.
            1
            1. Hi, I found the solution in another forum, it's very simple:

              1: Create a new text file in Notepad
              2: Copy this text:

              Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
              @="exefile"
              "Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\PersistentHandler]
              @="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile]
              @="Application"
              "EditFlags"=hex:38,07,00,00
              "TileInfo"="prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion"
              "InfoTip"="prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersion;Create;Size"

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]
              @="%1"

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell]

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open]
              "EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
              @="\"%1\" %*"

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas]

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas\command]
              @="\"%1\" %*"

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex]

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\DropHandler]
              @="{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}"

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers]

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\PifProps]
              @="{86F19A00-42A0-1069-A2E9-08002B30309D}"

              [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHandlers\ShimLayer Property Page]
              @="{513D916F-2A8E-4F51-AEAB-0CBC76FB1AF8}"

              3: Save it to the desktop as "Repare.reg" (without the quotes of course)

              4: Then right-click on the icon and click on Merge

              5: You just have to restart your PC

              And that's it, your desktop should display normally, see you later.
              1
              1. Contributor
                Toutou Linux is primarily used to recover your data from an external medium (CD, DVD, USB stick...) before formatting.

                Big problem it says "inserting an index entry with ID 1 2 3 4 5 6 (many times I'm at 5000) into the file SIH SID..
                Big problem with the hard drive. Let chkdsk run even if it seems long.

                I advise you to follow this tutorial: https://www.commentcamarche.net/faq/24285-recuperer-ses-donnees-personnelles-avec-toutou-linux
                --
                Google is your friend =^-^=
                The "Search" function of Comment Ça Marche too.
                1
                1. Contributor
                  My laptop starts when I turn it on, and when Windows has loaded, it launches the desktop and the screen is black; I can't do anything except move the mouse pointer.

                  Press these three keys simultaneously: Ctrl + Alt + Delete
                  Open Task Manager
                  Applications tab
                  New task...
                  Type explorer.exe
                  OK
                  1
                  1. Hello everyone,

                    EDIT: If you are using Windows 10, see here: https://www.commentcamarche.net/informatique/windows/265-desactiver-le-mode-tablette-sous-windows-10/

                    I have the solution to your problem
                    • when starting up when the desktop doesn’t show up, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE
                    • then open a
                      cmd
                      in the task manager
                    • type
                      msconfig
                      and then system restore, choose the previous day and the restart will happen automatically, then wait
                    • the desktop won't show up right away, but be patient, click OK to finish the system restore and there you go, one last reboot and your desktop returns

                    a little thank you, that’s all
                    0
                    1. Thank you very much @+
                      0
                    2. C'est quoi "open a cmd in the task manager" !!!!!
                      1
                    3. Contributor
                      Ctrl+Alt+Del
                      Go to the "Applications" panel.
                      Click on "New task".
                      Type "msconfig"
                      OK
                      Click on "Run System Restore"
                      Choose a date before your issue. Ok
                      Restart.
                      1
                    4. It’s not a “cmd” as you say, but “Run”.. Cmd being a command like msconfig..
                      0
                    5. Your thing works really well! :)
                      Honestly, thank you very much! ;)
                      0
                  2. Hello,

                    Since I tried to scan my hard drive, it froze at 75 percent (I'm on Vista). I restarted the PC and it got stuck at 55 percent, then a page appeared that said "(in English) sending to a document with the address id 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9....and it kept going, so I stopped it at 10000.
                    I restarted and opened Windows without any problems; it said if there's a problem, we will let you know.

                    Then I managed to reach the welcome login screen and bam... blue screen. I restarted in safe mode, and the solution was to format Is this the only solution????

                    Best regards.
                    0
                    1. and I can't even display the task manager menu
                      0
                    2. Contributor
                      @svvpppHello,
                      Try starting in safe mode.
                      --
                      Google is your friend =^-^=
                      The "Search" feature of Comment Ça Marche too
                      0
                  3. Contributor
                    Before everything, retrieve your personal data as indicated: https://www.commentcamarche.net/faq/24285-recuperer-ses-donnees-personnelles-avec-toutou-linux

                    In Safe Mode, open the command prompt and type chkdsk /r
                    Repeat this command until you no longer receive error messages.

                    If that doesn't work, you can always reinstall your Vista with your recovery DVDs or with your recovery partition.
                    --
                    Google is your friend =^-^=
                    The "Search" function of Comment Ça Marche as well
                    0
                    1. Contributor
                      I press F8, I boot into safe mode with command prompt and it opens everything, I type msconfig, I go to the last tab and there you find the click manager and you execute..... and there for those who know about it I'm stuck (I'm on Vista)
                      Actually, it's not clear. Are you stuck because your PC is frozen or because you don't know what to do?
                      Have you tried chkdsk /r in the command prompt?
                      --
                      Google is your friend =^-^=
                      The "Search" function of Comment Ça Marche too
                      0
                      1. mezc, I thank you a thousand times. If it works, I'm crossing my fingers.
                        0
                        1. just what does Linux do if it works again?
                          0
                          1. gros problème ça fait "insertion d'une entrée d'index avec l'ID 1 2 3 4 5 6 (plein de fois j'en suis à 5000) dans le fichier SIH SID..
                            0
                            • 1
                            • 2