Overheating of my imac
Solved/Closed
Hello,
since this morning the fan on my iMac is running at full speed, which is usually so quiet. I don't understand what has put it in this state, can you help me???????
since this morning the fan on my iMac is running at full speed, which is usually so quiet. I don't understand what has put it in this state, can you help me???????
Configuration: Mac OS X Safari 523.12
13 answers
-
It’s enough to cut the power supply (do not turn off the iMac). Basically, you unplug it completely. Then you plug it back in and restart it. I don’t know the cause of this malfunction.
-
Hello, Thank you for your reply.
It was my brother who had installed the device before handing it over to me, adapting it successively to all the successive versions of the OS; the hard drive and cards could not hold up, and the device was out of order. He took the device back for two weeks and completely reinstalled it by temporarily swapping the hard drive with another external one. Following ICLG's advice, all the content and address book were fully recovered, and the management works normally. But curiously, it turned out to be impossible to reinstall Firefox; do you know why? So I am using Safari. -
@papirazziHi,
I switched machines in December from a PM G5 to an iMac Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz. I gave the old machine to my son who was thrilled to have his own computer. Anyway, for the past month, the iMac has been acting up: the hard drive fan goes crazy at any time, even when cold. It’s VERY loud and annoying.
The system is up to date, though.
This is the first time I've had a problem like this on a Mac and I must admit I'm a bit lost.
If anyone has any ideas, I'd be grateful.
Cheers,
Franck
System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.6 (9G55)
Kernel Version: Darwin 9.6.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: Franck's iMac
User Name: Franck (franck)
Time Since Boot: 12:05
Hardware Information:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
Level 2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: IM81.00C1.B00
SMC Version: 1.29f1
Serial Number: VM842EAWZE3 -
@franckHello. My problem was resolved after a month. My brother, on the advice of ICLG, retrieved all the files onto an external hard drive and swapped the hard drive with another one (he has several Mac computers). Then he reformatted and reinstalled the hard drive. ICLG clarified to him that the cause of the malfunction was due to having successively upgraded from OSX 1 to the latest OSX 5 without reformatting. There were no parts to replace, except for the DVD burner (which had nothing to do with the reported issue).
-
@papirazzithe big difference here is that the Mac is new and has only known Leopard...
that said, it is possible that the hard drive is already quite full and that the Mac is having trouble finding space for its temporary files, which are essential for its operation.
Franck, do you have any updates for us?
Ritchi -
@papirazziHello,
Same issue on a 27 i7 iMac. Fan running nonstop, right from startup. I tried unplugging it, but nothing changes. Any solution please???
-