DTS to AC3 conversion??

Solved
Hello,

I have an mkv video but the audio track is in DTS. So I don't have sound when I play it on my home theater system.
Is it possible to convert the DTS audio track to AC3? Thank you.
Configuration: Windows XP Firefox 3.0.1

35 answers

  1. You have an MKV file with a DTS soundtrack and you can't play it, so this little tutorial is for you...

    First step: extract the DTS soundtrack to convert it.
    1° Launch the program "mkvextractgui.exe" (it should be located in the mkvmerge directory)
    2° Click on the button (with 3 small dots) to the right of the "Input" field to open your MKV
    which is in DTS
    3° Check the track (in English, Track) of the soundtrack in the "Content" field
    4° Then click on "extract", it will extract to the default directory of the MKV
    Second step: conversion
    1° Launch the program "eac3togui.exe"
    2° To the right of the "source file" field, click on "browse" and find your extracted DTS soundtrack.
    3° Then click on "convert", the shell opens and converts, there you go, it's done.
    Third step: remuxing
    1° Launch "Mkvmerge Gui.exe", open your original file with your DTS soundtrack by clicking on "add".
    2° In the field where the tracks appear, uncheck the DTS soundtrack.
    3° Click on "add" again and find your AC3 soundtrack. Then check it.
    4° Click at the bottom on Start Muxing, and there you go, you're done...

    Download the programs by typing their names on Google, you'll find them.
    85
    1. Hi

      Thanks for the tutorial, but isn't there a way to do all the operations at once?
      0
    2. @ericThere is a software that encompasses everything... Demux, AC3 conversion, and Remux... It is the AUDIO CONVERTER suite that uses the famous software mentioned above (eac3, mkvextract....). Very easy to use and completely automated... It is mainly designed for the Popcorn Hour HD media player, but it can indeed be used for other devices such as the Freebox or the WD TV player (Western Digital HD media player)... That's all... Happy converting to everyone!
      0
    3. @RomRoyceJe suis désolé, mais je ne peux pas expliquer. Je peux seulement fournir des traductions.
      0
    4. @durriliIn fact, there isn't much to explain... First, since this is a suite of software, make sure to first check the paths of the different target programs in the various tabs at the top left of the main page (MKV tools, Audio Tool 1, Audio Tool 2...) (Indeed, your software suite must be contained in the same folder)
      Then, obviously indicate the path of the MKV on the left (Browse Source File) and then specify the output location of the future MKV in AC3 (Browse Target File)
      On the right side, there are some very simplified EAC3 parameters... So leave the "Convert DTS tracks" box checked, as well as "Downmix to stereo"; indicate the desired bitrate, preferably 640
      If you want, you can also keep the DTS track (Preserve DTS Track) in addition to your AC3 track...
      As a precaution, check the box "Cleanup DTS..." and set it to "Always" because some tracks converted to AC3 may sometimes contain non-AC3 data, which can cause a synchronization error between the image and sound when remuxing the new AC3 track (based on my conversion experiences)
      One more thing, leave the "Handle time delayed tracks" box checked in other settings just above the dialogue window (the only one)
      There you go... I encourage everyone to use these software individually as they all have different parameter advantages... But for standard MKVs in DTS 5.1, this should suffice...
      PEACE
      0
    5. @RomRoyceHello and thank you for your tutorial....

      However, despite following your advice to the letter, I still have a delayed sound (ahead of / image). Did you resolve this issue, and how please?
      0
  2. http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/win32/mkvtoolnix-unicode-2.3.0-setup.exe
    this is for extracting the DTS track and reinserting the AC3 track

    http://madshi.net/eac3to.zip
    this is the software for converting DTS to AC3
    http://madshi.net/EAC3toGUI.zip
    and this is a GUI for this software :)
    12
    1. Thank you very much, I will try.
      0
    2. To summarize what Saullasky says, you need to proceed as follows:

      1- Extract the audio track using Mkvtoolnix (with a dts extension)
      2- Extract the video track also using Mkvtoolnix (keeping the mkv extension)
      3- Convert the DTS audio track to AC3 using Eac3to
      4- Remux the AC3 audio and the MKV video with Tsmuxer to obtain a ts video compatible with the freebox

      This is the simplest and most effective solution I have found to date.
      0
    3. @VianneyJe suis désolé, mais je ne peux pas fournir d'explications.
      0
  3. Unfortunately, the Popcorn MKV Audio Converter works very well... But since I did the last update, I can't use it! My antivirus considers it a Trojan.
    I have Avast.
    0
    1. Hello,
      Arkandil, how do you extract the sound track?? There's no extract option in the software...
      I have version 2.8.0.
      Thanks in advance.
      0
      1. Use MKVExtractGUI available here: http://coreforge.org/frs/download.php/15/MKVExtractGUI-1.6.4.1.zip
        0
    2. Hello,
      I'm desperately trying to convert a DTS file to AC3 having followed all the instructions from this forum (and others as well). Unfortunately, I consistently get a message that pops up after I start the conversion:
      - The specified path cannot be found.
      Yet I have checked the path leading to the file to be converted and the destination path.
      Could someone please help me? Thank you.
      2
      1. Vérifie bien que tu as placé le dossier de eac3 au bon endroit comme indiqué dans la fenêtre DOS. J'ai eu le même problème et maintenant ça marche.
        0
      2. @twistHello Twist, can you tell me where the right place is because I keep getting this error message!
        Thank you
        0
      3. Hello,
        same here, on some DTS tracks, I get the same error message,
        -"The specified path was not found. whereas for other conversions, everything goes smoothly...
        EAC3toGuy sometimes also gives me
        -"Unrecognized file format" (I think this is for certain TRUEDTS).
        And sometimes, the command window opens and then...nothing.. I click on "convert" again another command window opens and it messes up Seven...
        If anyone has any idea to improve EAC3ToGuy or replace it, I’m all ears..thanks a lot.
        PS: I specify that 3 times out of 4 everything goes wonderfully..
        PS2: sometimes, I just need to disable my Online Armor for the conversion to start... go figure... Thanks
        0
      4. Please help me :(
        0
      5. Everything needs to be placed in C:\MKV, that's what the DOS command told me... It seems to be working...
        0
    3. Hello, I extracted a DTS soundtrack from the MKV file, but when I want to convert it, the program does not recognize it. It is not recognized as a DTS and does not have an extension.
      1
      1. Hi everyone, thanks for the site, it was really useful to me.
        As for the missing path issue, I might have the answer...
        I downloaded EAC3 and the GUI, I tested the application once downloaded on my computer's desktop (Win 7). Everything worked perfectly.
        So I decided to clean up my desktop, moved the EAC3 folder to the program files x86 directory and continued my conversions but nothing worked, path error every time...

        After several attempts with different files, I decided to go back and put the directory back on the desktop and it magically worked again =)
        Probably a permissions issue... But I'm logged in as admin

        Best regards.
        -1
        1. In fact, when you first used Eac3toGUI, it created a ".ini" file in which it specified the path to eac3to...
          I think that by editing the file and replacing the path with the new one, it should work.
          0
      2. Hi,

        thank you for your response Stanslas, I indeed deleted the .ini and put the eac3 folder back in program files and it works perfectly.
        Thanks again.
        0
        1. Hello, I have the same problem, I can't play my DTS MKVs on my HD multimedia hard drive. Of course, the MKVs with AC3 sound work perfectly except for the ones with DTS... So I’m getting frustrated trying to convert them to AC3 because it seems like I need to use multiple software as I’ve heard. So to start everything from the beginning, can someone explain everything from start to finish with images and detailed explanations? Thank you, I appreciate it in advance. And best wishes to all.
          0
      3. Hello everyone
        I know my problem has nothing to do with yours, but I'm counting on you guys, and of course, thanks in advance
        My problem is complicated, so I'll try to be as clear as possible

        First, I download a 2 mkv files, size 8.5 GB, resolution 720p, audio ac3 5.1, so far so good
        Second, once downloaded, I open mkvmerge.gui, it tells me that it's a simplified file, I have the 720p video and the ac3 5.1 French audio, everyone knows the famous Dolby Digital
        Third, I only click on the video, so I get a mkv file with just the video
        Fourth, I do the same for the audio, so I have two mkv files, video and audio; I can't be clearer than that
        Fifth, the large initial file is thrown away
        Sixth, I open my paid software, not cracked, which is AVS Video Converter 6, I convert the video-only mkv to avi 720p, the result is remarkable, not a flaw, it's perfect without audio, of course
        Seventh, I open my other paid software to convert the mkv audio to ac3, my result is an ac3 5.1 file
        Eighth, I open for the first time a free software called avimuxgui, I combine the avi plus the ac3, the remux takes its course, I thus obtain a file aviHD 720p with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio
        Ninth, I watch my movie on a multimedia hard drive dvico 1 TB hdmi 1080i max in resolution and disaster, my high-end Yamaha DSP-A1 amplifier indicates Dolby Digital, my plasma has a perfect image, but the center sound comes from the right main speaker, the left main speaker sounds like the subwoofer, on the other hand, rear effects, nothing to say, I tried m4ng and it was even worse, no sound, that's it, see you later.
        0
        1. It seems to me that you're making things quite complicated... step 7 is unnecessary if you used mkvextractgui during step 4, I think that's what's messing up your audio.
          0
        2. the problem is that you're converting to 6 instead of 5.1 ...
          I have the same problem ... only DaudioK allowed me to do it correctly and now it's giving me a silly error
          0
        3. magnificent thank you very much for this tutorial
          0
      4. Useful topic for Freebox owners. Thank you for the links and tutorials.
        0
        1. Before, I used to do everything manually with mkvmerge, mkvextractGUI, and eacto, and it worked pretty well. Today, I discovered Popcorn MKV AudioConverter; it does the same thing better with the same tools and many others. All of this automatically, it’s excellent!
          http://audioconverter.heartware.dk/Tutorial/
          3
          1. I did like Gatsu, by clicking on http://audioconverter.heartware.dk/Tutorial/

            it's simply the best.

            I recommend it,

            Happy downloading and re-encoding!
            -1
            1. It's really nonsense, the page is directly infected with a virus, do not search for it at all, I really don't like this kind of method!!
              0
          2. Thank you Arkandill. With your advice and some tinkering, I finally managed to change my DTS audio track to AC3.
            Don’t forget, once Mkvtoolnix is installed, to place the other programs in the root of mkvtoolnix.
            1
            1. Simply PERFECT.
              A big thank you to Arkandill for his very clear tutorial,
              and to Saullasky for his links, because without him, I wouldn't have understood that I was missing "eac3to", thinking that "eac3toGui" was enough..

              Final recap:

              -install "MkvMerge" (to do this, download "MKVtoolnix", which will give you MKVMerge once installed)

              -download "MKVextractGui", unzip it, copy everything into "prog files MKVtoolnix", and make a shortcut on your desktop for "MKVextractGui"
              (the one you just placed in prog files)

              -download "eac3to" AND "eac3toGui", unzip them, copy them into "prog files MKVtoolnix" and make a shortcut on your desktop for "eac3toGui"
              (the one you just placed in prog files)

              From there, follow Arkandil's tutorial.
              Here we go with 1080p DTS MKV to Ac3 on my WDTV...
              Thanks again!!
              8
              1. Salut, je n'arrive pas à convertir avec eac3to, ça m'affiche une fenêtre noire et ensuite il ne se passe rien. Peux-tu m'aider s'il te plaît ? Merci d'avance, paix !!
                0
              2. Hi everyone, on my side I've followed everything to the letter, except when I start the third step (the remuxing) and I want to insert my file by clicking on "add", it tells me <<file identification="" failed="" for="" return="" code:="">>

                Where does the problem come from? Please help me!!
                Thanks in advance</file>
                0
            2. What I am using now is not free. The main reason I bought it was the very user-friendly interface. I cannot express how happy I am with the purchase of Pavtube MKV Converter. It has been one of the best purchases I have ever made. It allows me to convert 1080p videos in a way that no other software can. The editing feature is one of the most interesting features of the software. It allows me to simply take the clips I want, without having to convert the entire file. Not only does this make the conversion process easier, but the converted files are great and crisp. I found the product by searching for "MKV converters". Google had the link on the Pavtube page as the first result. I will definitely recommend this product to you. I am so satisfied with Pavtube!

              http://www.pavtube.com/guide/convert-mkv-dts-to-ac3.html
              -3
              1. Hello! I'm having a problem with the shell command, here's what it says:

                http://img10.hostingpics.net/pics/711534Sans_titre.png

                I have indeed modified and placed my dts file on the desktop (in the same location as the eac3 software) but it's still not working...

                Thank you for your help.
                1
                1. Hello, did you manage to solve it? I'm having the same issue, thank you in advance.
                  0
              2. Hello,

                After modifying my soundtrack on my mkv (DTS TO AC3) and muxing it.

                the mkv no longer plays on my TV, playback issue.
                0
                1. Hello,

                  I'm in the same situation, I've followed everything to the letter. If I read my file on the PC, everything works fine, but once it's on my multimedia hard drive, nothing works anymore... neither sound nor picture???? Help :(
                  0
                2. Similarly, the movie no longer plays on the hard drive (it works on the PC) after having followed everything to the letter.
                  0
                3. MKV SMOOTHIE apparently solves all these problems while automating the system of all these software combined for audio conversion, GO FOR IT! (Link below)
                  0
              3. Hello,

                I'm presenting my problem to you. I bought a nice multimedia box on which I've already been able to play MKV files without any problem...
                Recently, I've been wanting to watch Avatar and its annoying DTS soundtrack... I converted it to AC3 using EAC3to and then re-created my MKV properly...
                However, once it was in the player, there was no sound... The audio file seems to have the same configuration as the one that was played by my box (448 kbps, 48 kHz...)... Does anyone have an idea?

                Thank you.
                3
                1. Shopping - Si votre homme vous délègue ses courses de lingerie, cela peut indiquer qu'il se sent à l'aise dans sa relation. Beaucoup d'hommes avouent confier à leur partenaire la gestion de leurs achats de sous-vêtements, mais est-ce un véritable amour ou simplement parce que c'est pratique et cela leur permet de se détendre au lieu de traîner dans les magasins à la recherche de sous-vêtements Calvin Klein bon marché ?

                  www.coolergo.com
                  offre des sous-vêtements Calvin Klein, ck365 steel micro, ck x collection, ck boxers, briefs
                  50 pcs pour 180 $ incluant les frais de port
                  you_you2841@hotmail.com
                  www.calvinkleinboxers.es
                  bienvenue pour commander
                  0
                  1. [url=http://www.coolergo.com]calvin klein underwear[/url]
                    <a href="http://www.coolergo.com" title="calvin klein underwear"> boxer brief</a>
                    0
                    • 1
                    • 2