Acer sound crackling

Solved
Hello,

I recently got an ACER 7720G laptop. At first, everything worked very well, but recently I've been hearing a recurring crackling noise from the laptop's speakers. It occurs when I play online games, watch videos/listen to music, and sometimes even when I'm browsing the internet, and it causes some lag. I've updated my audio drivers (Realtek) but the problem persists. Do you have a solution?

Thank you in advance.

PS: I did some research, but the solutions didn't work. (Disabling Aero, etc...)
Configuration: Windows Vista Firefox 2.0.0.14

25 answers

  1. Problem solved for me by going to Control Panel
    SOUND=>Speaker Properties=>in the "Levels" tab set "Internal Subwoofer" to 0,
    there you go, hoping to have helped you.
    31
    1. I had the same issue and indeed, it completely eliminated the crackling, at least for now!
      Thank you very much
      0
    2. Thanks for the info, and now it works super well. Thanks!
      0
    3. Thank you, it was the same problem and the solution was good! Thank you.
      0
    4. Nikel, thanks for the info! It’s really nice to finally listen to some pleasant sounds!!
      0
    5. thank you, perfect
      0
  2. Hard drive is messed up! It happened to me too! Overall, is your computer sluggish? Does it take time to boot up?
    Did you update the audio drivers?
    -1
    1. Hello,

      No, my computer doesn't lag on startup, only when the buzzing occurs.
      Yes, I have updated my audio drivers, but nothing changes. I've only had this new computer for 15 days, it seems strange to me...

      It's not a virus problem though, Norton hasn't reported anything on that side.
      2
      1. Forget Norton, switch to AVG or Avast.
        0
    2. Antivirus doesn't mean anything!

      Maybe you don't have enough RAM? What's the configuration of your computer?? You might have gotten a bad batch!
      2
      1. I have an Intel Core 2 Duo T8100 2.10GHz processor and 2GB of RAM.
        0
    3. hmmmm.... it's surprising that it's crackling!

      You have enough RAM... There, I admit I'm at a loss... Have you used Spybot?
      2
      1. No not try, I'm trying and I'll keep you posted ;) Anyway, thank you.
        0
    4. Contributor
      No, but you're not messing up Nassim, it's not your fault :-)
      Acer is probably the worst laptop manufacturer, after Fujitsu-S. Mine has no spyware or anything, my protection is impeccable and my sound is T-E-R-R-I-B-L-E! That's how it is, Acer makes very low-quality products and you can feel the touch of mediocrity signed ... Acer!
      --
      Say, will you be my friend?
      2
      1. Yeah, okay, I can agree that the sound can be of more or less good quality, but it should still be able to listen to something without it messing up!

        At this rate, we can say that HP also doesn't know how to handle sound, because my ex's laptop, my God, the horror as soon as you turn it up a bit too loud! lol
        3
        1. Contributor
          Yes but no!
          Really, I know it's hard to imagine but it’s Acer, it’s the reality! There are tons of petitions going on against Acer. The problem can only come from that or a bad connection on the motherboard, something faulty. In both cases, he can't do anything about it.
          To check with us, he should plug in an external speaker kit or headphones and tell us if the sound still crackles.
          --
          Hey, will you be my friend?
          5
          1. Spybot found nothing. Wow, is Acer that bad? Well...
            Anyway, thanks ;)
            3
            1. Try the external speakers trick... it's not a dumb idea!
              2
              1. I don't have that on hand lol but I tried with headphones, the sound doesn't seem to be crackling "for now".
                0
            2. So it’s the speakers that are of poor quality…
              3
              1. Surely it is, well thanks for everything ^^ And ... long live Acer!
                0
            3. Exactly the same problem during games and sometimes while playing mp3s, my computer is also an Acer 7720g bought a month ago!!
              Sound card drivers updated!!

              What to do??
              heeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!!
              2
              1. Same problem on an Acer 7720g laptop, the sound crackles, even with external speakers...

                The audio drivers are up to date, what could it be????

                Thank you
                2
                1. C'est bizarre, j'ai le même modèle et le son est super.
                  0
              2. Hello,

                I have the Acer Aspire 7720G laptop with a slightly different configuration (3069 MB of RAM, Intel Core Duo T5550 1.83 GHz) running Windows Vista. My sound was also crackling, and I resolved my issue by installing "XTreme-G Drivers for Vista 32 bit" and now, after a reboot, the sound coming from my speakers is not crackling. But since you have a slightly different configuration, I'm not sure if this will work for you.

                I hope I was able to help you...
                3
                1. Hi, could you send me the link for this software (XTreme-G Drivers) because I have exactly the same device as you, with the same issue! It would be really nice of you, thank you.
                  0
              3. By the way, if you don’t need Acer Empowering Technology, uninstall it!! Because several people have had this problem and uninstalled it. After that, it worked.
                2
                1. Good evening,

                  I have an Acer Aspire 6530 laptop, after several issues with crackling sounds, they were resolved by going to the control panel, then sound, then speaker settings, unchecking 5.1 and switching back to stereo, it solved my problem.
                  0
                2. Good evening everyone, I also have problems with sound crackling. I've seen on several forums that we should uninstall Empowering Technology, but if we uninstall that, won't Wi-Fi and the internet stop working?
                  0
                3. @nobodyGood evening,

                  Uninstalling e-empowering is indeed the solution to the crackling sound; it worked very well for me.

                  As for the Wi-Fi, it will still work because it won't uninstall the drivers for your Wi-Fi card!

                  Uninstall without hesitation, that crackling is so annoying!
                  0
                4. @squall6969Yet the internet works with empowering, right? (I'm just afraid of breaking my PC again lol)
                  0
                5. @nobodyThe question is not whether the internet works with empowering or not, we need to solve the sound problem!
                  And without empowering, the internet works just fine!
                  0
              4. Good evening.
                I have a problem with my Acer 6530 laptop that seems a bit strange for a few days now. I hear a buzzing sound when I plug in the power supply. I didn't have this problem at first; everything was working fine. Thank you in advance.
                2
                1. Hi,
                  I also have a crackling problem with my Acer 6530.
                  I tried switching to stereo but nothing works.
                  Sometimes the noise decreases when I plug in the power supply, but it's not all the time.
                  In fact, the crackling comes and goes regardless of the application.
                  0
                2. @XAVIERBIBSame problem with the Aspire 6530 bought in December (crackling and slowing down issues). I deleted "acer empowering technology" and everything works fine.

                  I should have gone for a Mac... more expensive but at least you get what you pay for..
                  0
                3. Hi everyone, so to keep it short because it's really simple lol, basically for some reason you need to do a manipulation. I had the same issue as all of you and I searched and ended up finding it (purely by chance). I'll explain
                  you go to the battery symbol at the bottom right, right-click => power options, then it depends on your setting: power saver, normal, or high performance. I think we all modified the settings for the screen, etc... so you click on modify the settings of the plan, then on restore the default settings for this plan (the one you are on, for example, mine is high performance). Once done, test your sound and then readjust your settings for the screen, etc... and normally it should be fine

                  let me know if it works for you too, thanks ;)
                  0
                4. Hi Drako,

                  after trying all the tips over the months, your latest one didn't help me fix the crackling issue! It's driving me crazy...
                  thanks anyway
                  0
              5. Hello.
                I also have this problem with my TravelMate 8204WLMi
                When I increase the volume, I hear a crackling sound (with or without headphones plugged in). On top of that, there's a small crackling noise that comes back every 2 seconds or so. And when I type on the keyboard, the crackling is even louder.
                I've also noticed that when I listen near the battery (even with the laptop turned off), I can also hear a crackling coming from the battery or from inside the laptop.

                In short, I'm completely lost.
                2
                1. Actually, I found out where the problem came from.

                  I disabled the microphone volume (several different settings).
                  One managed to eliminate the constant buzzing, while the other removed the buzzing every 2 seconds along with the keyboard noise.
                  2
                  1. Hi everyone… I have exactly the same problem with the sound crackling on an Acer 7720ZG…
                    I don’t know what I did, but when I press the green "e" in the top left of my keyboard, an error message appears saying "the specified file is not found."

                    Could you please tell me how to remove the empowering technology? I'm really not good at this….
                    3
                    1. I had the same problem: my Acer 6930G went to Darty's service center and the problem returned even after the replacement of the speaker unit.

                      MY SOLUTION:
                      - I downloaded the latest audio driver from the esupport website http://www.acer.fr/acer/service.do and installed the one from a newer Acer but with the same audio chipset (Realtek HD Audio + HDMI). The problem wasn't resolved, but since the adjustment interface was more complete, I kept it.
                      - I went to the Realtek website and downloaded the latest version of the HD Audio driver (Audio only).
                      - Then, from the device manager (under Windows 7 or Vista), I updated the Realtek HD audio driver (right-click, update driver) and selected the one from the Realtek site (audio only).

                      After restarting, there was no more crackling issues, both with 5.1 and stereo, and with all effects activated!
                      I no longer encounter problems even with resource-intensive applications (like NFS Shift, ...) and I can finally enjoy the power of the speakers.
                      6
                      1. dis me where do you find the audio chipset of a more recent Acer
                        0
                    • 1
                    • 2