Jack issue on ipod

Solved/Closed
Hello, I have a 30GB iPod video and for the past week, when I plug in my headphones all the way, only the left earbud works. However, if the jack is not fully inserted, sound works fine in both earbuds (I’ve tried with other headphones).

Thank you in advance and sorry for the spelling.

66 answers

  1. Hello,
    I just solved this problem. It's actually a faulty contact inside the headphone jack of the iPod. This often occurs with these types of connections when the headphone plug is left plugged in all the time. Indeed, the second contact (which provides sound to the right side of the headphones inside the iPod's headphone jack) must make contact with the right pole of the stereo plug. If this contact, which acts like a spring, does not return to its place (precisely because the plug remains constantly in the iPod), the connection does not occur.
    So here’s the solution.
    You need to carefully use a very thin screwdriver or something similar to gently push this contact at the bottom of the opening. You should feel some resistance which proves that the contact is indeed there; you should then gently bring it back a bit towards the inside of the opening (do this cautiously).
    There you go, I hope I was clear and that your problem will be resolved.
    Best regards
    164
    1. Hello! I have the same problem with my sound input! I followed your advice but I can't get my headphones to work again! If you could add me on MSN to help me, that would be nice, thanks in advance el_sharingan@hotmail.fr
      0
    2. Thank you, it works perfectly thanks to you, I avoided having to buy a new iPod, I was going crazy!
      0
    3. Thank you for this tip. It had been so long since my iPod was working...
      0
    4. Thanks for the screwdriver trick (actually, I used a nail because I didn't have a fine enough screwdriver). It worked!!! It's great because it's my wife's iPod and she was driving me crazy with her faulty iPod. Long live the internet!
      0
    5. I can't see the slides at all... I can't manage :S can someone explain the procedure to me? Since it needs to be done carefully, I'm afraid I'll ruin everything :S
      0
  2. it must be your jack plug that's faulty

    it's best to return it for warranty service if it's still under guarantee

    --

    Human beings in a world of wonders have managed to invent boredom
    -2
    1. Thank you, but actually, it's barely been a month since the warranty expired.
      -2
      1. Shit if I may say so

        I think there's a faulty soldering

        It happened to me with my ALTEC LANSING speakers

        Fortunately, I’m an electronics technician by trade...

        Good luck

        --

        Human beings in a world of wonders have managed to invent boredom
        2
        1. That's what I think too... now the whole problem is being able to resolder the socket:
          -> how to offer the mess?
          -> will it be accessible? (with these reduced things everything is superimposed...)
          -> if so, will the regular soldering iron be too large?
          0
      2. In fact, I looked a bit on the internet, and they said it could be related to health, but the contact bomb that they recommend costs 12 euros, and I was wondering if there were other ways.
        2
        1. I broke the tip of my headphones, and it got stuck in the bottom of my jack connector. What can I do?
          0
        2. The contact spray is not a good idea at all, I know I'm almost 4 years late, but it's still useful for people who discover this post. So the contact spray is a really bad idea, I tried it on one of my Touch devices that had this issue, and all the contact "liquid" went into the screen, so the result is a jack that doesn't work any better, and a screen with a stain as if it had gotten wet, such a bummer.
          0
      3. the contact bomb doesn't always work

        if another way, find a friend who knows a lot about electronics or even microelectronics...
        --

        Human beings in a world of wonders have managed to invent boredom
        3
        1. Hello, my iPod video has the same problem as yours; once the headphone is plugged in, only the left side works unless I push it in all the way. If your issue has been resolved, could you please share your solution or any information that might help me? Thank you in advance.
          -1
          1. Hi, I have exactly the same problem as you, have you found a solution since December??? Thanks in advance.
            -1
            1. Eh bien non, mais maintenant mon iPod ne démarre plus du tout. Je crois que c'est un problème de programme, donc j'essaie de réparer ça en priorité.
              0
              1. Hello,
                I have exactly the same problem: my iPod only works "on one leg" with all the headphones. Which leg inside the connector should I untwist? The first one you see? On the left?
                -1
                1. Same for me, I'm struggling to fix it. Does anyone else have something, or any details about the process?
                  Thank you
                  0
                  1. Hi,
                    I have the same problem as you. If it’s not pushed all the way in, we get both channels. If it's pushed all the way, we only get the left channel.
                    I tried to fiddle with the blades using a small screwdriver, but without success (to be fair, it’s difficult to see inside properly). By the way, it looks like there are 2 at the top and 2 at the bottom of the conduit.
                    Has anyone managed to solve their problem?
                    Thanks
                    4
                    1. I have the solution!!!!! (it worked for me)

                      After browsing several forums, I believe the problem is that the iPod's jack connection is slightly too deep, which prevents the jack from being fully plugged in.

                      You just need to gently place a small piece of aluminum foil at the bottom of the connection to allow the plug to connect properly.

                      Good luck!
                      55
                      1. The Lucas method works really well, I had been listening to the sound in mono for a month, but with the little piece of aluminum foil, it started working again.

                        I actually placed a small piece of aluminum foil balanced on the plug, and then I gave it a quick tap so that only a round piece would fit into the plug, then I inserted the jack and, like magic, it worked ;D

                        Thanks Lucas!!
                        0
                      2. I did that by intuition, it worked, but only for a certain period. Be careful, it damages your iPod even more.
                        0
                      3. Thanks for the aluminum ball trick, I just fixed my iPod, incredible, it’s working again on the right side.

                        I called an Apple reseller who confessed that this often happens with this video model, but when you ask repair centers, the guys say it can't be repaired, and once the warranty period is over, it's an exchange of the iPod for a price close to that of a new one.

                        And yet, the part is available:
                        https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPod/iPod-Video-30-GB-Headphone-Jack-Hold-Switch/IF195-010

                        and experts can carry out the repair "Installing iPod 5th Generation (Video) Headphone Jack & Hold Switch"
                        https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPod+5th+Generation+(Video)+Headphone+Jack+&+Hold+Switch+Replacement/604

                        The whole thing is to find someone who agrees to do it!
                        For Parisians, there's an Apple repair shop and others in the 15th (metro Commerce, 84 rue des Entrepreneurs, 01 75 57 86 60) that can change the jack for those who might be afraid of the aluminum ball trick, but I don't know how much they charge.
                        0
                      4. Yes
                        Your Sunday DIY is really great, I just saved 170 euros thanks to a little piece of aluminum!
                        Thank you
                        Pascaline
                        0
                      5. Thank you very much, it worked very well. Thanks again.
                        0
                    2. I did the same with a small piece of electric wire. The only downside is that the sound is good in both earbuds but in mono and not in stereo. You will notice this with some songs recorded in the 60s where the sound of the guitar, for example, is only on the left channel and you hear nothing... But well, it's better than sound in only one earbud.

                      Thank you!!!!
                      5
                      1. Great job with the aluminum foil! I was feeling a bit desperate!
                        However, now the iPod occasionally pauses the music by itself and I think it's because the male jack is a bit too high with the aluminum foil!
                        Does anyone know a solution to this problem? Is there a way to disable the "auto-pause" feature on the iPod?
                        Thanks in advance to everyone for your replies!
                        3
                        1. I have the same problem. My iPod automatically pauses, but I don't know why?! :s
                          0
                        2. Simple, the music stops when the jack disconnects. Your connection must be loose :/
                          0
                      2. Hello, I have the same problem except that the sound is constantly in mono, even when I don't completely plug in the jack. And since I'm quite clumsy, I'm afraid to touch it with a screwdriver. I listen to a lot of old songs from the 70s, so the sound is in mono.
                        I bought my iPod at Darty, and I was wondering if they could change the jack for me and if they do a good job.

                        Thank you.
                        2
                        1. It has been a little over a year since I got my 80GB iPod, and today it let me down :' (. Same problem, the right earbud isn't working, but I'm afraid that the aluminum foil method will affect sound quality! Does anyone know how much the repair costs?

                          Thanks in advance.
                          1
                          1. It's correct, don't try the aluminum foil technique, I tried it and by pushing it in, the iPod thought it was a headset, so it was impossible to listen even with just one earphone. It took me 45 minutes to remove the piece of aluminum (because some of it remains at the bottom), and still one earphone isn't working.
                            0
                        2. Between €150 and €180, and it's not a repair, it's an exchange.
                          1
                          1. WELL DONE LUCAS75!!
                            For a week, my iPod only worked with one earbud with all the earbuds I tried (even brand new ones), and I tried putting a small piece of aluminum foil in the headphone jack and it works great, well done, thank you for this "old-school" method ;D
                            0
                            1. So there, my Lukas, I see you, I see you, I give you a kiss. It had been two years since I had the 30GB, and it broke my heart to have to change it because of the earbud, and with a little advice, you give me the chance to enjoy stereo sound again. So I thank you.
                              0
                            2. @Geoffreyyeaaaah ! Luka my hero aluminum foil eliminates the little "loose" and I get the stereo back ^^ thx
                              0
                            3. Me toooo!!! It's working!!!!!!!!!!! Yay! Thank you all. But damn, I was going to buy another Sony MP3 player in the meantime!!!!!
                              0
                          2. I love vegetables and hams but I have a place to put my clothesline in my basement
                            0
                            1. nonsense
                              0
                            2. lol
                              0
                            3. idiot lol
                              0
                          • 1
                          • 2
                          • 3
                          • 4