Significant powerline communication loss
Hello everyone, following the installation of fiber, I have quite a few questions about my powerline setup.
I am with Free as my ISP, allowing me to reach up to 1gb/s. Of course, that is not achieved, but I am content with the connection (160mbps download and 200mbps upload) with a direct ethernet connection. However, being very far from my box, I have to use powerline, and that’s where it raises questions for me. I go from 160mbps to 60mbps in download and from 200mbps to 60mbps in upload. Although there is some loss with powerline, I find this loss to be huge and I wonder if there is an issue with my setup.
I should specify that the theoretical speed of the powerline allows reaching 500 mbps.
To clarify my setup, the box is located one floor below, I use the Free box connected to the box and plugged into the socket. I have another Free powerline adapter connected on the floor below. To connect on the upper floor, I have therefore bought a TP-Link powerline adapter of 500mbps.
If you have any comments or solutions regarding this situation, I’m all ears.
Thanks in advance for your responses.
I am with Free as my ISP, allowing me to reach up to 1gb/s. Of course, that is not achieved, but I am content with the connection (160mbps download and 200mbps upload) with a direct ethernet connection. However, being very far from my box, I have to use powerline, and that’s where it raises questions for me. I go from 160mbps to 60mbps in download and from 200mbps to 60mbps in upload. Although there is some loss with powerline, I find this loss to be huge and I wonder if there is an issue with my setup.
I should specify that the theoretical speed of the powerline allows reaching 500 mbps.
To clarify my setup, the box is located one floor below, I use the Free box connected to the box and plugged into the socket. I have another Free powerline adapter connected on the floor below. To connect on the upper floor, I have therefore bought a TP-Link powerline adapter of 500mbps.
If you have any comments or solutions regarding this situation, I’m all ears.
Thanks in advance for your responses.
2 answers
-
ModeratorHello,
The powerline adapter with ADSL was sufficient; we didn't see its limits. But with fiber, it's a bottleneck. The solution is always to have a home wired with Ethernet. At the very least, a high-performance Wi-Fi.
One comment, though. From your setup, we understand that you have the 2 Free powerline adapters + an additional TP-Link one. Regardless of the speed of the latter, it will be limited by the transmitter, which is the powerline adapter of the Freebox.
-
Thank you for your reply. Perhaps I should replace the CPL free with the second TP-Link?
Additionally, while continuing my research on my side, I noticed that my Ethernet speed was limited to 100 Mbps. From what I understand, this could be related to the RJ45 cable, as I would need a Cat 6.
I’m attaching a photo of the Ethernet status:
-
@NatsukopPS: I went into the settings to manually unlock the connection to 1gb/s, but nothing changes; the speed value remains at 100 mbps.
-
Moderator@NatsukopThe problem rarely comes from the Ethernet cable, unless it is (poorly) made by hand, or it only has 4 wires instead of 8.
It is more likely the powerline adapter, some Wi-Fi powerline adapters have a 100Mb/s port instead of gigabit. What is the exact model? -
@jee peeThe exact model is: the TL-PA4010P
Indeed, upon reading the description, it is stated: AV500 Powerline adapter kit with integrated socket, Powerline speed 500Mbps, 1 port 10/100Mbps. -
@NatsukopAt least,
they're not thieves but realistic when selling powerline adapters at 500 Mbps with a 100 Mbps port, so that's something.
It's the marketing that deserves a slap like Obélix, but well, they're all the same, even with Wi-Fi.
So, as already mentioned, let's forget about powerline modems, especially 2000 Mbps over fiber, and do our best to stick to the wall this kind of cable.
For those allergic to cables, but not to waves (there are still some, apparently), there are still mesh Wi-Fi systems
-