Is giWebUpdater.exe infected?

Solved
Hello,

Yesterday, while browsing the Program files folder on my C drive, I found a file named "giWebUpdater.exe" located at C:\Program Files\Guillemot\tools\

After some research online, this file apparently seems to be infected.

Not having found a solution to properly remove it from the computer (Avast does not detect it and neither does Antimalwarebytes), I am therefore reaching out to your expertise to guide me on the way to proceed.

Thank you for taking the time to read my message and I also appreciate your future responses.

7 answers

  1. Hello,

    Upload this file to https://www.virustotal.com/gui/

    -> http://www.security-helpzone.com/showthread.php?tid=121
    --
    ♪♪ Saachaa ♫
    CCM Contributor
    1
    1. Thank you for your response, I just ran the scan and according to the database the file is not infected.

      The "report":
      File name: giWebUpdater.exe
      Detection ratio: 0 / 40
      Analysis date: 2012-05-04 13:10:29 UTC (0 minutes ago)
      0
    2. However, since the file seems unknown to me, can I delete the folder named "Guillemot"?
      0
  2. Apparently nothing serious.

    Can you rename this file giWebUpdater.exe to bk_giWebUpdater.exe?
    --
    ♪♪ Saachaa ♫
    Contributor CCM
    1
    1. Yes, I can rename this file to bk_giWebUpdater.exe.
      0
  3. Indeed, we will check that it is not being used by renaming it.
    --
    ♪♪ Saachaa ♫
    CCM Contributor
    0
    1. Once renamed, restart the PC and let me know if everything is normal.
      --
      ♪♪ Saachaa ♫
      CCM Contributor
      0
      1. I just restarted my computer, and everything seems to be working fine.
        0
    2. Okay great!

      Can you check the control panel to see if the program is installed?

      If it’s not, you can delete that folder Guillemot.
      --
      ♪♪ Saachaa ♫
      Contributor CCM
      1
      1. It's good, the program is not installed, so I will be able to delete it.

        Thank you for your help!
        0
    3. You're welcome!

      A little something before you leave, it might be useful for you in the future:

      http://www.security-helpzone.com/showthread.php?tid=354
      --
      ♪♪ Saachaa ♫
      CCM Contributor
      1
      1. Thank you for your tutorial, which is very well explained.
        For my part, I just need to update Java, as I had already applied the other techniques on my computer! :)
        0
    4. Very well ;-), feel free to browse the site!
      --
      ♪♪ Saachaa ♫
      CCM Contributor
      0
      1. I won’t fail to do it!
        Thanks again for your help and your practical tips!
        And best of luck ;)
        0
      2. Good continuation to you too :-), and let's not see each other again, okay!
        0
      3. I also hope we won't see each other again. :)
        0
      4. ;-).
        0