Unable to install Windows via Boot Camp

Solved/Closed
Hello,

I've been going through forums for 5 days trying to understand why I can't install Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 on my MacBook, knowing that I have the same problem as most users, which is the Err Disk Press a key to restart message, etc. You might tell me again that it’s a formatting issue, etc. The problem is that at no point am I offered to format my Boot Camp partition! Let me explain:

- I create my partition with Boot Camp under Leopard (which has been updated by the way)
- I start the installation with my Windows CD after printing my installation guide...
Windows allows me to choose my partition, so I choose: C:/.... Boot Camp (FAT 32)
- The installation starts and then, at the end, the computer restarts on the Windows CD, and there’s a new message: Press any key to start the installation. So I press a key, and the previous operation repeats, meaning the installation of Windows files with the partition choice, the installation, and the restart with the same message (Press any key...) and so on. In short, the installation keeps repeating in a loop each time!

I have tried not pressing a key when the message appears, and after 3 seconds, it gives me Err Disk Press a key to restart. I also tried inserting the Leopard CD on restart... I'm really fed up; I've tried to install Windows about ten times now, I even reformatted Mac OS X...

I specify that at NO point does Windows ask me to format my partition after the selection of the partition C:/...(FAT 32)

I hope you can help me even though I have a feeling that I've forgotten a step and that it’s a minor problem, but I'm stuck...

Thank you in advance for your help!
Configuration: Windows XP Internet Explorer 7.0

51 answers

  1. Hello,

    I encountered exactly the same problem as you... And I found a working solution!!

    It's very simple!!

    1 - Follow the same usual procedure, that is: Start BOOTCAMP under Leopard, create your partition (32GB recommended), launch the installation.
    2 - Right at the beginning of the installation (blue screen and scrolling of installed packages at the bottom of the screen), at the first message: "Press F6 for SCSI disk installation," press F6 and F10 alternately several times.
    3 - Once the message has passed ("Press F6 for SCSI disk installation"), continue the installation normally.
    4 - A new message "insert a diskette" and "press S to specify a SCSI disk" (something like that), press ENTER (continue the install) - This operation allows you to access the windows recovery console (shell) before the partitioning module.
    5 - And this is where everything happens: You arrive at a screen with a black background and our famous "c:/". You will just type this: FORMAT C: /Q /FS:FAT32 - everyone knows this command, if not, format c: (default formatting of the windows partition), /q (quick format), /FS:FAT32 (File System, Fat32).
    6 - Type "Y" to confirm
    7 - Restart the installation normally, when you arrive at the partitioning module, do not format any partition at all. You should find your 32GB partition (a 200MB partition necessary for bootcamp is also present, DO NOT PAY ATTENTION TO IT). Formerly called "BOOTCAMP" and after our operation probably "WINDOWS". YOU SIMPLY PRESS ENTER on the 32GB windows partition.

    8 - From there everything should work: no more "Disk Err." messages "press a key..." or "hal.dll" messages...

    9 - Under Leopard, the partition is now called NO NAME, rename it to "WINDOWS"

    I hope this helps :-) I was happy with the operation found on another FORUM (unlike the guy who formatted in NTFS and that caused a blue screen on my end)

    TWO THINGS:

    1 - Logically, the windows command "format" is not supposed to affect your other MAC partitions (HFS+), just as your windows partition is necessarily "c:" (default letter assignment for windows)
    2 - If you have your life on your MAC I advise you to back it up (TimeMachine?) beforehand just in case.
    22
    1. GREAT

      THANKS A LOT

      Super thanks, we were in deep trouble, thanks to your solution, it works great................
      0
    2. That's all well and good, it even seems quite effective, but which version of XP are you using ?????

      Thanks in advance =D
      0
    3. Can we then remove the partition via Bootcamp as originally planned?
      0
    4. Hi, thanks for the info, but when I type all that in the black screen it tells me that "the parameter is not valid". Do I need spaces? Do capital letters matter? I've tried everything!
      Help!
      0
  2. Good evening,

    Thank you for your solution, which apparently works well. I want to switch to Seven and I encounter the same problem, more or less.

    My question is quite simple: does this manipulation work for installing Win7? Or do you have a similar procedure? ;)

    Thanks in advance
    0
    1. Hi, what do you mean they ask you to choose which Windows? Are you sure about the originality of your Windows XP?

      @MAX: I might be a little joker but in this case you're a big clumsy!!!
      0
      1. Hello everyone

        I just bought the new white MacBook 2.26 GHz 2GB RAM Nvidia GeForce 9400M

        and I would like to install Windows
        so someone lent me a Windows XP Pro SP2 CD
        here's what I did

        with Boot Camp I partitioned my disk
        started the Windows installation which restarted the computer
        then I am asked to choose between different Windows but my keyboard is not responding anymore
        I am therefore stuck in the installation and have to restart the computer by pressing Alt to boot into Mac

        I've been struggling with this for 2 weeks, thank you in advance to everyone who can and wants to help
        thank you
        0
        1. Hello everyone, I had the same problem and it turned out that sometimes Windows XP Pro asks for the key and the license that it automatically recognizes on the CD, but I who had a copy of Windows, it made it impossible to install Windows correctly. So I bought Windows XP Home in an Apple store and Windows works perfectly fine. I just have one problem left; Windows recognizes my Apple keyboard but does not recognize its multimedia keys. What should I do?
          0
          1. Good evening,

            You should install the drivers for your keyboard. If you have a CD, insert it and browse (on Windows). Otherwise, check the website for your keyboard.

            Best regards
            0
        2. I had exactly the same problem as you in every way.

          To avoid losing data, I first booted into my Mac partition by holding down the "alt" key during startup and I made a backup using Time Machine (it's very long)

          Then I reinstalled the entire Mac OSX without making any updates

          Once that was done, I created my Boot Camp partition of 20 gigs again and this time I "changed the Windows installation CD" and to my great surprise, the formatting was done on the Boot Camp partition via the Windows installation CD.

          Before this, I was using another copy of XP Pro that had worked the first time but had never wanted to format afterward (who knows why)

          So here I am busy transferring my files to my new Mac partition using the migration tool and we'll see how it goes.

          And when I see messages from little comedians like "you have to follow the manual, it goes all by itself," go to hell!

          With that, best to you.
          0
          1. when WINDOWS asks you for the second time to press a key, then DO NOT DO IT AND LET IT DO EVERYTHING BY ITSELF!!!!!!!!!!
            during a Windows formatting, it's the same, so later you will be able to finalize your installation of XP or Vista.
            as for me, I just installed Windows Seven on a Mac Intel Duo and it's perfect, no bugs, no additional drivers to install, even the webcam works. just the sound is low.
            0
            1. I also have a problem with Boot Camp and Windows!!!!

              When I had version OS 10.5.8, I could install Windows via Boot Camp without any issues, but since Snow Leopard, it's been impossible!!!!

              -I start the Boot Camp Assistant
              -It asks me to create a partition, I choose a 32-gig partition
              -Then the assistant asks me to insert the Windows installation CD... so I insert it!
              -The iMac restarts and gets stuck on a blank page!!!! (I've tried several versions of Windows but to no avail... there must be a procedure to follow that wasn't necessary in version 10.5.8!!!????

              What should I do??????????

              Thank you in advance for your help.
              0
              1. I have the same problem except that I had already installed it with this CD so I don't understand why it refuses to install it for me a second time. I have, however, deleted the Windows partition and created a new one, but it refuses my CD for the next step of the installation????
                0
                1. I have a similar problem, except that I was able to format the partition.
                  I suggest printing the "bootcamp" manual and following it closely. You need to format before starting the installation of Windows XP by choosing the right option (the manual shows a screenshot)
                  My problem occurs when I need to install the drivers from the Mac OS disk, and I need a new version of Windows Installer (which I downloaded from my PC), but I can't install it either because Windows XP SP2 minimum is required (which I also downloaded with my PC).
                  I'm now unable to install the SP2 pack because I'm missing 4 MB of free space (my Windows partition is 12 GB!!!), and whatever I do.
                  So I'm at page 21 of the manual where it seems there's a solution for updating Windows loaded on the Mac. I'll test that tonight because last night it was 2 AM.

                  Best regards,

                  PS: To restart the MAC under MAC OS, hold down the "option" key during the startup of the computer. (see page 21)
                  0
                  1. I'm not an expert, but I've just successfully installed Windows on my Mac (LEOPARD).

                    You probably know that you need to use a unique and complete Windows XP installation disk (which includes Service Pack 2), otherwise it won't work. You also need to make sure to select the correct partition: "C:Partition3<BOOTCOAMP>FAT 32"

                    GOOD LUCK
                    0
                    1. Hello,
                      Well, don't fight to reply to me, haha.
                      So for those who are interested, I installed an XP PRO SP3 OEM without any problems, in fact, it's super easy, you just need to print the Bootcamp manual. Okay, it's 26 pages, it's not eco-friendly and it consumes ink, but by following this manual to the letter, you won’t have any issues. Moreover, you will find all the settings such as the default OS, keyboard differences between OSX/WIN, partition deletion, etc...
                      So for those who want to install WIN via Bootcamp, I encourage you to print this manual and follow it exactly.
                      0
                      1. Moderator
                        Hello, Djagh,

                        "well, you don't fight to respond to me, haha". Two small remarks:
                        - participation is voluntary and not mandatory,
                        - adding a post to an already lengthy and old thread, even though it brings it back up, is less visible than a new request.
                        The latter can explain that the previous discussions did not provide the expected solutions or raised a new question.

                        Otherwise, thank you for posting your solution which will undoubtedly help others.

                        Regards.
                        0
                    2. Hello,
                      I'm bringing the topic back up a bit because I'm going to install Win XP Pro on a unibody MacBook Pro via Boot Camp, but the question is: which version of XP Pro should I buy? Some say that OEM versions don't work, while Lucas apparently managed to do it, so I'd like to get more details. Thank you for your responses.
                      0
                      1. Well, I just did it with Windows XP SP2, it also works with all versions of Vista.
                        0
                    3. When formatting in FAT32, it's not possible to create a partition larger than 32GB with BootCamp.
                      0
                      1. Hello everyone, I also have this problem of installing Windows on my MacBook via Bootcamp. However, after the screen displaying the error, nothing appears and every time I restart my Mac, the same issue occurs with the same black screen reminding me of the error. I am therefore stuck in the middle of an incomplete installation and unable to access my Mac session. Do you have any solutions? Thank you in advance.
                        0
                        1. Hi Nico!

                          I have the same problem as you, I wanted to install Boot Camp, everything went well (at least I think), the computer wanted to restart and then, it's a disaster !!!!!

                          A black screen appears, asking me how I want to start the computer either with the CD or with the hard drive!!! If I start it with the hard drive, the computer stops on a completely black page and if I start it with the CD, it tells me that it can't find it and also gets stuck on a black page with: A:/

                          What should I do? Does anyone have a solution? I can no longer use my MacBook!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

                          Thank you in advance.
                          0
                      2. Hello everyone.

                        So here it is:

                        I just bought my iMac 20" 2.4 GHz with 3 MB.

                        I wanted to install Windows using Boot Camp. However, I didn't have a Windows CD with my old PC. So I created one, but of course, the CD didn't take into account the Service Pack 2 installed on my PC.

                        So I recreated a Windows CD including SP2.

                        I start Boot Camp, everything goes well, until I get to the installation. There again, nothing serious. It asks me to choose the partition where it should be installed (so C: Boot Camp).

                        And it copies the files from the CD (I specify that at no time does it ask me to format) and for at least 20 files, it indicates that it couldn't copy them. So I ignore each time and let the installation continue. But after the installation, nothing. Just a black screen and a white blinking cursor...

                        If anyone has the solution please! I've been browsing forums for at least 5 hours...

                        Thank you.
                        0
                        1. Hello everyone,
                          I just successfully installed Windows XP Home Edition on my MacBook Pro using Boot Camp.
                          I first encountered the error that everyone has had: Err disk and 36 reinstallations of Windows (as some have very well described). I then reinstalled by selecting my partition (the 3rd one) of 32GB and I didn’t choose FAT but I selected “format as NTFS (quick)”. After that, the installation went smoothly.
                          0
                          1. Indeed, but what else is there to say? Personally, I do not know of any successful experience in this field with a pirated version of Windows. Others maybe, and probably, but the forum is not meant to support this kind of practice.
                            http://www.commentcamarche.net/faq/sujet 6585 why ccm does not help to pirate software

                            Best regards
                            --
                            Sanspseudo - Francis
                            iMac G5 2ghz 2Go - OS 10.5.3
                            0
                            1. Moderator
                              Twenty times over, return to your work... N. Boileau

                              :-)
                              0
                          2. Hello,

                            Well, I have a question. I bought a relatively expensive Mac, and it really bothers me that Boot Camp, a revolutionary process, is ultimately so fragile.


                            Here’s your opinion,

                            We can imagine Mr. Microsoft’s opinion, which would probably go like this:

                            "Congratulations Mr. Boot Camp, you did your job well! I was worried you might be too fragile - Mr. Bill sends his regards to Mr. Jobs."

                            As we can see, all points of view exist in nature... :)

                            Best regards ;-)
                            --
                            Sanspseudo - Francis
                            iMac G5 2ghz 2Go - OS 10.5.3
                            2
                            1. certainly...?
                              What beautiful answers to my question.
                              0
                          3. Hello, I've read all the questions/answers on the forum because on my MacBook Pro 2.5GHz 4GB RAM (I'm specifying the config minimally) I'm having the same issue as most people here. Let me explain or rather re-explain the problem:

                            1°) I launch Boot Camp, I partition, leaving 32GB for Windows, I insert the XP Pro SP2 installation CD (I think, normally), I specify beforehand that it's a cracked CD but functional; I know it's bad, but for Windows...

                            2°) The computer prompts me to restart to start the Windows installation, I agree since that's what I asked it to do and off we go (yay!). It checks all the files and everything and then I arrive at the "installation menu" of XP since it offers me to choose among 3 partitions: the main one occupied by OSX, a 2nd one of 200MB (by the way if someone could explain what that is? A boundary between the two partitions?) and a 3rd one in FAT32 format.

                            3°) Naturally, I choose the 3rd partition of 32GB, and everything goes normally. At the end, the Mac wants to restart because it has finished installing XP. It restarts and then... like everyone: "Disk error
                            Press any key to restart."
                            I tap on the keyboard but nothing happens, it's not responding; I think "great, the keyboard is no longer detected"... I still try to eject the CD since it hadn’t ejected earlier, but unfortunately, on a Mac, the eject key is a keyboard button, too bad it's not recognized anymore.

                            4°) I then force the computer to shut down and decide to restart the installation of XP via Boot Camp. This time, instead of choosing the 3rd partition for the install, I delete it and decide it will be in NTFS format. Alright, so far so good, but... it doesn't change anything about the problem mentioned in 3°)

                            I can tell you that I've tried everything to continue finalizing XP but every time it's an error message that pops up.
                            So I have a question for you, I bought a relatively expensive Mac, it frustrates me that Boot Camp, a revolutionary process, is so fragile in the end; is it due to the fact that my CD is cracked? If so, do I still have to shell out for an XP SP2? Does it have to be a PRO version and shell out even more money or does a Home edition suffice? Be honest and don't respond with the mindset "cracking is bad" "buying a legitimate license is good." If there’s a solution other than draining my bank account, I'm all ears. Thank you in advance! :)
                            0
                            1. Hello,
                              I want to clarify that this is a cracked but functional CD,

                              Noted.
                              0
                            2. Moderator
                              @epiettesInteresting detail, my good Epiettes, isn't it?.. and full of meaning :-))))

                              Isn't the scooter that I broke the lock on also functional?

                              @+
                              0
                            3. @Chris 94Of course my good Chris,
                              Just like the two "cracked" sailboats in the marina that made me wake up at 3:00 AM.
                              0
                            4. Well, following a new attempt and some advice from a forum member, I solved my problem. Two changes (I don't know which one fixed the issue in the end or if it's both ><):

                              - I changed the partition size from 32 to 30GB (probably exceeded limit causing total chaos in the end, this is just a guess)
                              - Instead of choosing "Convert to NTFS format" or "Keep FAT32 format" after selecting the 30GB partition for the XP install, I chose "Format the partition (...) to NTFS format (quick)" and everything worked perfectly.

                              I want to emphasize that I used an official OEM version of XP PRO SP2, it's not pirated or anything, and this version is offered by Apple resellers.
                              0
                            5. @LucasHello,
                              I modified the partition size from 32 to 30GB
                              That's normal, it's the "lightning" point between FAT32 and NTFS.

                              As for the rest, the return to a good path ...........

                              But I hope that 30 gigabytes won't be too light.

                              PS. If you wanted to do everything legally, you should have said so right away!!
                              0
                          • 1
                          • 2
                          • 3